Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bridge Collapse - Baltimore
just caught this in the news tonight, happened around 8.30pm our time 

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-68663071
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Oops! Hope the ship had good insurance cover.
Yeah I saw the news break the same night it happened, pretty nuts.
No doubt there will be some serious questions asked in the coming weeks.
Sounds like the ship lost power and there were reports of explosions? Lucky it happened in the middle of the night with little to no traffic on the bridge, sounds like the majority of fatalities were road workers, but the bridge had largely been evacuated after the ship put out a mayday call.
The video doesnt do it justice, but that bridge spans over 2 km long!
The ship was traveling at 6 Knots, twice the speed it should have been if a pilot was on board.

It's a large cargo carrier, made to just fit through the Panama Canal widthwise, apparently built to a budget.

They're just leaving port, anyone want to bet, Captain and Chief Mate drunk and asleep, minor crew member in charge of ship?!?!

Apparently black box from ship has just been retrieved.

They dropped the anchor to slow down but why didn't they reverse the engines, must have four screws; maybe not enough time or lost communication since it is said they were having power blackout problems on board ship. I think they managed to radio a warning to shore which is why the bridge was mostly clear of traffic.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(28-03-2024, 09:59 AM)zqwerty Wrote: The ship was traveling at 6 Knots, twice the speed it should have been if a pilot was on board.

They're just leaving port, anyone want to bet, Captain and Chief Mate drunk and asleep, minor crew member in charge of ship?!?!

I would have thought the ship required a pilot on board until it had left the harbour?
Thats how it works here as far as im aware.
Yes the black box has been retrieved, no doubt there was a mechanical issue, appears to be with the steering in this case, but will wait and see, apparently we will know the findings very soon.
(28-03-2024, 10:04 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(28-03-2024, 09:59 AM)zqwerty Wrote: The ship was traveling at 6 Knots, twice the speed it should have been if a pilot was on board.

I would have thought the ship required a pilot on board until it had left eh harbour?
Thats how it works here as far as im aware.
Yes the black box has been retrieved, no doubt there was a mechanical issue, appears to be with the steering in this case, but will wait and see, apparently we will know the findings very soon.
Apparently the ship had been experiencing power outages while in port which included electricity supply to the refrigerated containers on it. The lights onboard fail at times as the accident plays out which may have prevented their being able to engage 'full astern' with the attempted workaround then being to drop anchor/s which was too little too late.

It will all come out in the black box interrogation but being the US TPTB there will be looking for someone to hang blame and liability on.
So far it looks as though they didn't have enough time once the power failed, to avoid hitting the bridge, but I suspect you're all right & there will be many fingers pointing.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Fingers will be pointing everywhere for sure. Insurance companies will be doing a good job at that too.
Very good info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Sc...e_collapse

Here's even more good info:

Ship Lost Power Before Hitting Key Bridge in Baltimore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbUXewlQDk
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Just been watching this video here, good quick rundown.

Interesting that the worker fatalities are all South American immigrant labourers.
^^ . . . when told to evacuate the workers all said "Que??"
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Oh no!!!

I laughed. I am deeply ashamed.