Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TVNZ staff cuts, staff rally outside HQ
I'd like to think they can somehow save the News, Fair Go & Sunday, good for them for trying & I think most of NZ would support them in that. 

But, perhaps the govt will step in & save them.

Or not...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/tvnz...5HAKVZXFA/

"Television New Zealand (TVNZ) staffers are rallying outside the broadcaster’s Auckland HQ today in a bid to save SundayFair Go and the Midday and Tonight news shows from being pulled off air.
About 100 protesters gathered in opposition to the cancellations, which are part of widespread job cuts as TVNZ battles a big drop in traditional TV advertising revenue as audiences move to digital platforms.
Up to 68 jobs, including about 35 in news and current affairs, are being axed.

Sunday presenter Miriama Kamo told the Herald as journalists, they don’t want to be on the other side of the microphone and it felt unusual.

Diversity in our sector is really important and we need to make sure that every voice has the chance to tell stories on behalf of every voice in our country. And the fourth estate is a very important pillar of our democracy, and I’m not sure how much that’s understood by our power brokers.”
Kamo said Sunday was the last long-form current affairs show of its kind, and once it goes, there will never be anything like it again.

It’s changed laws, it’s saved lives. It has been there to reflect back to our country who we are so allow people to tell their stories. We have a diverse range of reporters who are able to speak to a diverse part of our community. So that’s why it’s really important that we keep it.”

Fair Go reporter and presenter Garth Bray fronted the chant, “Save our stories, save our news” and spoke of feeling sick and angry about the prospect of potentially being one of the last Fair Go reporters.
You can be sad that you are losing your job, and you can be really sad that your friends are losing their jobs. But the idea that we are losing something as precious as a programme that people invoke every day in this country when they’re getting a raw deal, that makes me a little bit sick and a little bit angry.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It might just be the end of broadcast tv in NZ if they cull all the news from it. What else will be left, infomercials and reality tv - and will that be enough to draw the few remaining advertisers in, I don't think so...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(28-03-2024, 02:42 PM)king1 Wrote: It might just be the end of broadcast tv in NZ if they cull all the news from it.  What else will be left, infomercials and reality tv - and will that be enough to draw the few remaining advertisers in, I don't think so...

Any other govt might have stepped in by now, & I suppose there's still a chance that this one might; it would be tragic if all of that was lost.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I think it's an active strategy by the National Party to avoid reporting of any machinations they get up to in running the country and to help out their businessman mates in the event of any problems with businesses and the usual unwanted calling of attention to unsatisfactory products and services.

Muldoon conducted a minor war on reporters who reported adversely according to him.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
TV has been shit for years, the woke finished it when they dumped Police Ten7, it was one of the only decent shows I would switch my TV on to watch.
Also had the benefit on solving crime, Hopefully Winston can get it back.
Fair go was good too, but the argument I was hearing on the talkback was it is now less relevant with reviews people can post on social media, etc, but i still feel it has a place.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(28-03-2024, 07:40 PM)zqwerty Wrote: I think it's an active strategy by the National Party to avoid reporting of any machinations they get up to in running the country and to help out their businessman mates in the event of any problems with businesses and the usual unwanted calling of attention to unsatisfactory products and services.

Muldoon conducted a minor war on reporters who reported adversely according to him.

I wouldn't be surprised - it would minimise any criticism.

He didn't much like Tom Scott, & at one point banned him from going to China.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6366231...n-the-draw

https://teara.govt.nz/en/media-and-politics/page-4

https://www.speakers.co.nz/our-speakers/...tom-scott/
Yes that's right Lilith7, I remember now, Mum used to love seeing Muldoon getting needled by Tom Scott and the resultant skirmishes between them.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(30-03-2024, 08:12 AM)zqwerty Wrote: Yes that's right Lilith7, I remember now, Mum used to love seeing Muldoon getting needled by Tom Scott and the resultant skirmishes between them.

Yes Muldoon used to get really ratty with Tom Scott - always good to watch! Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
Miserable bastards.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tvnz-job-c...H7PJ2NZMI/

"One of TVNZ’s most enduring and popular shows, Fair Go, will be axed, the state broadcaster has confirmed to staff today.
Fair Go staff met TVNZ bosses on Tuesday morning - two days after the 47th anniversary of the consumer show’s first episode in 1977 - and were told the show would end, as earlier proposed.
The Midday and Tonight news bulletins would also be ending, as earlier planned. It is understood some reporters are being redeployed within the TVNZ newsroom.
Fair Go staff are among up to 68 roles to be cut by TVNZ.
Sunday staff will meet tomorrow to learn their fate. A Sunday source says they hold little hope the show will be saved in light of events today.

About 100 protesters, including TVNZ staff, gathered outside the broadcaster’s head office in central Auckland in opposition to the cancellations on March 28.
Sunday presenter Miriama Kamo told the Herald that as journalists, they didn’t want to be on the other side of the microphone and it felt unusual.
“The fourth estate is a very important pillar of our democracy, and I’m not sure how much that’s understood by our power brokers,” Kamo said.
She said Sunday was the last long-form current affairs show of its kind, and once it went, there would be nothing like it again."
Understood all too well by National that's why they're getting rid of Fair Go, to protect crooked retailers etc from being exposed.
(09-04-2024, 05:58 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Understood all too well by National that's why they're getting rid of Fair Go, to protect crooked retailers etc from being exposed.

It does seem to look that way...
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/tvnz...OOH7FSJ2M/

Any decent govt would make sure that there's at least one good quality current affairs programme, even if that might mean criticism of their policies. Allowing this to happen isn't a good look, & neither is allowing the demise of the last ditch help for consumers, fair go.
Thank goodness we now have the platform to switch over to.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(10-04-2024, 06:17 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Thank goodness we now have the platform to switch over to.

Hmmm, no thanks - their T Shirt reads 'join the resistance' - it's clearly not a balanced news organisation
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(10-04-2024, 06:17 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Thank goodness we now have the platform to switch over to.

Why yes, they're SO very sane & balanced aren't they...or something.

Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
This could be interesting...Shortland St under review. Apart from the first 5 minutes of the first episode years ago, I've never watched it but I understand that its popular with a lot of people & I think it has value as both a trainimg ground & employment for actors & others in the film/TV industry. If it goes it might mean more in the industry head to Oz.

https://www.odt.co.nz/entertainment/tele...-tvnz-cuts