Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chloe Swarbrick on Nat's new list 'Untethered friom reality'
(09-04-2024, 11:12 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(08-04-2024, 09:35 PM)king1 Wrote: coal formation under pressure over millions of years is possibly not too congruent with creationism - an asteroid blast sounds much better

Who said anything about creationism?
(09-04-2024, 07:16 AM)Praktica Wrote: Lots of gold? The usual yield from a gold mine is grams/tonne. A lot of oil is burned to get that. Hydrogen has been hyped as a fuel for decades, but the problems of storage and distribution have not been solved yet. It's not very effective as a fuel, either...

That typical yield for gold from most mines.
Australia is doing it and it's profitable, especially with the current prices.
I agree with you about the hydrogen,  but people are trying to create a market for it, with all the greenwashing going on.
And the maori are now trying to claim ownership of it now if you please.
(09-04-2024, 11:36 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: What is this 'forest' of which you speak??  Rolleyes

Oh, you mean those things we used to have all over the planet until we decided to use them for fuel & building & stuff, & dug out the older ones which provided coal because we could use it for stuff - & then we realised how fabulously, obscenely wealthy some of us could become by using all of it...

I believe there might still be one or two...possibly in those remote tree museums. Under heavy guard.. Rolleyes

Are you aware that the earth had much more carbon in the atmosphere millions of years ago?
Lots of forests grew vigoriously as a result of the high co2 too.
Then various events such as volcanic eruptions, asteroids etc wiped out forests and they get buried and turn to coal over millions of years.

You know all that swamp Kauri up north was flattened by taupos eruption.
Given enough time and that would turn to coal too.

That post was fairly tongue in cheek...however there's no getting away from the akward fact that our planet is very over populated, with all that that involves. And the plain fact is that we have made one hell of a mess of our planet, which is badly in need of cleaning up. 
If we haven't left it too late...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(10-04-2024, 08:34 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Yes, and millions of years ago there weren't 8 billion human beings reliant on the stablility of the Earth's climate in which to feed and house themselves. Oh and make a few people obscenely wealthy.
I agree, way to many humans on the planet.
Singlehandedly the best thing you can do to stop climate change (if you believe in AGW) is not have kids.
Unfortunately it seems there are attempts to cull off the human population as we have seen with covid, etc.
With all the pollution and plastics in the environment, there is no need.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.