Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total solar eclipse
Was great to replay the livestream this morning.
I think many people forget how uncommon it is to experience one. especially for a small country like NZ, while not a rare event, (we get them ever 18 months or so) the earth is covered in alot of ocean, so more than 50% of the time the path crosses over the ocean, and on top of that the path of totality is only shy of 200 km across, so the chances of one happening near where you live are pretty slim.
That being said, in 2028 we will see one near queenstown, and in 2037 we get one in the middle of the north island so will be quite accessible for many kiwis to view.
Im sure I remember us having one around 1992 when I was a child, went pretty dark in the early afternoon, but dont think we had full totality.
I don't get the fuss, it is a shadow - you get the same effect walking in the bush if you happen across old growth forest. Not only shadow but the sudden drop in temperature is for me much more interesting, demonstrating as it does how important the trees are for the rest of life...

Mind you, if it was to blast the eyes of a certain presidential hopeful I would celebrate that benefit for sure!
(09-04-2024, 02:23 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I don't get the fuss, it is a shadow - you get the same effect walking in the bush if you happen across old growth forest. Not only shadow but the sudden drop in temperature is for me much more interesting, demonstrating as it does how important the trees are for the rest of life...

Mind you, if it was to blast the eyes of a certain presidential hopeful I would celebrate that benefit for sure!

Bolt of lightning would be a bloody sight more effective, less messy too... Angel Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Nah, think of the stink...
I don't get it either.   The hysteria in America comes across as quite superstitious.  Is their education that bad?

Mind you I was hoping for The Rapture to dematerialise a few fervently Christian politicians.
There was a cartoon on farcebook along very similar lines yesterday Olive. Let the celebrations begin...
(09-04-2024, 02:23 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I don't get the fuss, it is a shadow - you get the same effect walking in the bush if you happen across old growth forest. Not only shadow but the sudden drop in temperature is for me much more interesting, demonstrating as it does how important the trees are for the rest of life...

I'm quite into astronomy so I geek out on this sort of stuff.
I've never experienced a total eclipse before but something I am looking forward to experiencing someday.
Ask anybody that has witnessed one and they all tell you it's quite a surreal experience. 
As soon as the light dissappears there is this very cold feeling that comes down almost in an instant.
Very weird feeling when something like that happens in the middle of the day and everything turns to night in an instant. 

Such a shame it only lasts about 4 minutes on average. 
The science opportunities to study the suns corona is useful too.
I just learned the other day about this flight taken on a modified Concorde to study an eclipse in 1973!
https://qz.com/total-solar-eclipse-1973-...1851395198#
Here is a published article about it.
I'm going to plan a ski trip there given it's in winter.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/35024063...lipse-2028
(11-04-2024, 05:34 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Here is a published article about it.

Given that will be in mid winter how's the long range weather forecast looking? Rolleyes
(11-04-2024, 06:23 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(11-04-2024, 05:34 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Here is a published article about it.

Given that will be in mid winter how's the long range weather forecast looking? Rolleyes

If only one could tell! But generally it's the risk you need to take. If I go down for two weeks, I'm guaranteed to have at least one good day on the slopes, hopefully more!