Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Israel situation escalating
It sounds like Israel is presently receiving some retribution from Hezbollah and has retaliated against the source of the missiles in Lebanon. Iran has threatened action against Israel following the attack on its consulate in Damascas last week so escalation of military action is that area is hardly unexpected.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/...ity-attack

Oil prices have topped USD90/barrel as would be expected with unrest in the Middle East and gold prices are surging as markets clamour for economic safe haven. The world is restless.
Israel, through its leadership, is aggressively defending its political choices against increasing opposition from other nations. It is a pattern we have seen before, and it means either that leadership has to back down or take its people into a situation with devastating consequences.

And I doubt that particular group of men have any intention of walking away from annihilating the Palestinians so they can occupy Gaza and redraw Israels's borders.

And the world can't stop it.
I think we were all expecting this.
Last i heard was that 100 or so drones were heading to Israel from Iran.
They take quite a few hours to arrive so should give plenty of warning hopefully, they should be a simple target for the iron dome compared to missiles.
I think Iran is taking advantage of the situation to test these drones out, since they are supplying the same drones to russia to use in Ukraine.
Latest Live reporting by Aljazerra is that Iran has now launched hundreds of drones and missiles towards Israel which will take some hours to arrive. Currently Israel's 'Iron Dome' is shooting down the first of incoming projectiles.

Iran has stated that this is a single attack in retaliation to the Damascus strike and that if Israel makes 'another mistake' the retaliation will be far more severe and that the US has been told to stay out of this situation.
This is what happens when you get a "tit for tat" escalation.
Each side responds with a larger attack, israel is not innocent here, but at the same time Iran have retaliated way too far.

Good distraction away from Gaza though, perhaps that was the plan? We see Israel conveniently withdrew their forces there, but that was in part due to international pressure i guess?
Iran's warning to Israel was along the lines of 'take your medicine and live with it' in an attempt to warn against further retaliation by Israel which also tries to thereby put the blame on Israel, and its allies, if they now escalate the situation.

It seems that Israel's defensive system is taking down most of the incoming armourments so far but you've got to wonder how well it will continue to be as hundreds more incoming missiles arrive.
(14-04-2024, 08:55 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Israel, through its leadership,  is aggressively defending its political choices against increasing opposition from other nations. It is a pattern we have seen before, and it means either that leadership has to back down or take its people into a situation with devastating consequences.

And I doubt that particular group of men have any intention of walking away from annihilating the Palestinians so they can occupy Gaza and redraw Israels's borders.

I do sometimes wonder if our species is actually insane. 

They're like little boys playing tit for tat, & can't see past their own egos & that of their country.

Israel has now lost any moral high ground it may have had at the time of the attack by Hammas, having behaved in a manner similar to the Nazis in the Warsaw ghetto & Israeli citizens have been protesting frequently - apparently, to little effect.

Removing the idiot boys leading the Israeli govt & Hammas, shipping them all off to stand trial for war crimes in The Hague & getting peace groups made up of both Israelis & Palestinians to set about working out a solution could possibly work.
But that's unlikely to be allowed to happen.

(14-04-2024, 11:54 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(14-04-2024, 08:55 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Israel, through its leadership,  is aggressively defending its political choices against increasing opposition from other nations. It is a pattern we have seen before, and it means either that leadership has to back down or take its people into a situation with devastating consequences.

I do sometimes wonder if our species is actually insane. 

They're like little boys playing tit for tat, & can't see past their own egos & that of their country.

Israel has now lost any moral high ground it may have had at the time of the attack by Hammas, having behaved in a manner similar to the Nazis in the Warsaw ghetto & Israeli citizens have been protesting frequently - apparently, to little effect.

Removing the idiot boys leading the Israeli govt & Hammas, shipping them all off to stand trial for war crimes in The Hague & getting peace groups made up of both Israelis & Palestinians to set about working out a solution could possibly work.
But that's unlikely to be allowed to happen.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Latest reports are suggesting that Israel is going to attack Iran very soon, hopefully this does not escalate any further.
(18-04-2024, 01:15 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Latest reports are suggesting that Israel is going to attack Iran very soon, hopefully this does not escalate any further.
This has the potential to get very serious globally, very rapidly. Where it goes from here is very much in Israel's hands.
a year ago I was thinking Nupti (the dictator formerly known as Putin) was going to be the one to start WW3, now i'm not so sure
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(18-04-2024, 01:39 PM)king1 Wrote: a year ago I was thinking Nupti (the dictator formerly known as Putin) was going to be the one to start WW3, now i'm not so sure
Putin's recent message to US and Israel is “Avoid attacking Iran.” If this all turns pear shaped it will be sure to have Putin's fingerprints on it.
If Putin becomes involved, that could be disastrous.

It seems fairly clear that Netanyahu would really prefer to murder all Palestinians & grab Gaza for Israelis, despite the growing opposition to him within Israel.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(18-04-2024, 01:34 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(18-04-2024, 01:15 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Latest reports are suggesting that Israel is going to attack Iran very soon, hopefully this does not escalate any further.
This has the potential to get very serious globally, very rapidly. Where it goes from here is very much in Israel's hands.

I think this is the closest we have all been to WW3 ever.
You heard it here first, Israel is routinely using A.I. to target suspected enemies, maybe this explains all the ambulances and journalists fired upon.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(18-04-2024, 11:01 PM)zqwerty Wrote: You heard it here first, Israel is routinely using A.I. to target suspected enemies, maybe this explains all the ambulances and journalists fired upon.

If that can be proved then Israel - or at least their govt, will be in a world of trouble. Targeting civilians is well & truly OTT.
I watched a program on Al Jazeera, all sorts of examples of Israel using camera surveillance against the Palestinians and then adding A.I. to the mix and using it to attack enemies which were programmed into the system previously.

"It is becoming clear the Israeli army is “deploying untested AI systems … to help make decisions about the life and death of civilians”, Marc Owen Jones, an assistant professor in Middle East Studies and digital humanities at Hamid Bin Khalifa University, told Al Jazeera.4 Apr 2024"

"‘AI-assisted genocide’: Israel reportedly used database for Gaza kill lists

Two Israeli media outlets report the Israeli military’s use of an AI-assisted system called Lavender to identify Gaza targets."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/4/4/...kill-lists
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(19-04-2024, 12:20 PM)zqwerty Wrote: I watched a program on Al Jazeera, all sorts of examples of Israel using camera surveillance against the Palestinians and then adding A.I. to the mix and using it to attack enemies which were programmed into the system previously.

"It is becoming clear the Israeli army is “deploying untested AI systems … to help make decisions about the life and death of civilians”, Marc Owen Jones, an assistant professor in Middle East Studies and digital humanities at Hamid Bin Khalifa University, told Al Jazeera.4 Apr 2024"

Two Israeli media outlets report the Israeli military’s use of an AI-assisted system called Lavender to identify Gaza targets."

my money is on the US are tacitly endorsing this to test the system without needing to deploy it themselves

Reports coming in from Twitter that IDF missiles have struck targets in Iran https://twitter.com/Kahlissee/status/178...5039400338

Now Breaking News on Aljazeera https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/4/19...han-report

Immediate spike in oil prices https://oilprice.com/oil-price-charts/#Brent-Crude
[Image: tenor.gif]

(19-04-2024, 12:20 PM)zqwerty Wrote: I watched a program on Al Jazeera, all sorts of examples of Israel using camera surveillance against the Palestinians and then adding A.I. to the mix and using it to attack enemies which were programmed into the system previously.

Israel is currently trying to sell these tools to foreign entities, to governments that are looking to what Israel’s doing in Gaza, not with disgust, but actually with admiration,” said Antony Loewenstein, an Australian journalist and author of The Palestine Laboratory: How Israel Exports the Technology of Occupation Around the World.
We’ll find out in the coming months and years who they may be … my sense is it’s gonna be countries that are currently saying they’re opposed to what Israel is doing.”

That is sickening. There seems little doubt that our species is badly flawed when we can do things like that. Dodgy