Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ban on gang patches
There seem to be several difficulties with this not so brilliant idea. They just seem to have been in too much of a rush to appear tough & haven't bothered with the details.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/politics/3502549...ng-patches

Quote:"Through the Gangs Legislation Amendment Bill, the Government planned to introduce four new powers to “crack down” on gangs:

1. Making it illegal to wear gang insignia in public.
  2. Giving police powers to force suspected gang members to disperse.
  3. Giving district courts powers to make “non-consorting orders”, so “specific gang offenders” cannot communicate for three years.
  4. Making gang membership an aggravating factor at sentencing.
The gang insignia ban and restrictions on communication and congregation have raised significant human rights concerns because the Bill of Rights Act protects freedom of expression and association. These gang laws could be used against people who have not been convicted of another crime, creating their own offences.
Lawyers also said gang membership was already an aggravating factor in sentencing.

If patches and insignia were banned, he expected “gang signs” to become a main identifier of gang members. Robinson showed the committee one sign which was already in use as a gang sign, but in sign language meant “I love you”.
“Imagine a world where we were attacked for using that sign in the wrong space,” he said.
"Overseas, deaf people have died as a result of this... I am concerned you will create a problem here in New Zealand. So I ask the committee to stop the bill to protect our community.“

The Law Society's Chris Macklin said the bill should be withdrawn and sent "back to the drawing board".
He and other lawyers, as well as the Free Speech Union, cast doubt on Government arguments that similar measures had been successful in Australia. He said the studies offshore showed in many cases gangs continued operating underground, and became harder to identify.

Civil liberties campaigner Thomas Beagle said this would “create a new class of New Zealanders with fewer rights”.
Pointing out the gang list could be changed fairly easily, he asked: "Who will be the next group classified as a problem?“
“This bill is rotten right the way through. I am disappointed it has got this far in a rights-respecting nation,” he concluded."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Will the ban include the Fire Brigade Staff, Salvation Army Officers, Correction Officers and indeed Police themselves?
(24-04-2024, 07:17 PM)alpha111 Wrote: Will the ban include the Fire Brigade Staff, Salvation Army Officers, Correction Officers and indeed Police themselves?
Seems like you're conflating gang patches with uniforms. Destiny church regalia should probably fall into the former though.
(24-04-2024, 08:59 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(24-04-2024, 07:17 PM)alpha111 Wrote: Will the ban include the Fire Brigade Staff, Salvation Army Officers, Correction Officers and indeed Police themselves?
Seems like you're conflating gang patches with uniforms. Destiny church regalia should probably fall into the former though.

and what about the boy scouts and girl guides
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(24-04-2024, 08:59 PM)harm_less Wrote:

Modeled as it is on the Mongrel Mob uniform... Dodgy
We can only hope Destiny church will be affected...but it seems unlikely.

The whole thing is slightly worrying really - they effectively want to stipulate what can & can't be worn, & while most of us would oppose idiots wearing nazi symbols & similar, I think gang patches are helpful since they're easily seen so anyone wanting to avoid them can.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
And they want the Police to uphold these new laws...but won't give them a pay rise, or any real means to be able to do this gang patch thing. A lone cop pulling over half a dozen gang members and telling to hand over their patches ? It's not going to happen.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(25-04-2024, 12:49 PM)Zurdo Wrote: And they want the Police to uphold these new laws...but won't give them a pay rise, or any real means to be able to do this gang patch thing. A lone cop pulling over half a dozen gang members and telling to hand over their patches ?  It's not going to happen.

Any cop trying to do that would be in trouble fairly quickly.

They're extremely good at slash & burn, cutting this & that, but they really don't seem to have given any thought to possible consequences. And really, any govt should be doing that, surely.