Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Largest independent supermarket opens
The largest independent supermarket in NZ has opened in Hamilton. Started by an Indian man who had only $2000 to his name when he arrived here from India.

https://www.waikatotimes.co.nz/nz-news/3...s-hamilton

Quote:The new supermarket, a concerted initiative between the building’s owner John Sinclair and Thakkar, will offer everything from deli, meat, produce, grocery, and other essentials.
But the grocers will personally be procuring the supplies and stocking as it is an independent store.
“If you go through a franchisee with certain groups like Progressive (Enterprises) or Foodstuffs, we get stocks directly supplied through them.
“But now, being independent, we have to organise the supply.”
However, it also meant more varietyfor customers as they were not tied to one supplier.
“There are so many different ranges of product which is not available in the supermarket that we're going to introduce in our store.”
The supermarket was tailored to “cover the requirements” of Nawton residents, Thakkar said.
“But gradually, once people start buying, we’ll get a better idea of what more is needed here.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Good news for the grocery sector at last, hopefully they roll out more stores across New Zealand.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Our local greengrocer started off with just the fresh stuff, but now that is the smaller part of his stock. The shop has the most interesting range of foodstuffs from frozen to dried and all the bottles and jars inbetween.

But New World is still cheaper.
(27-04-2024, 09:09 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Our local greengrocer started off with just the fresh stuff, but now that is the smaller part of his stock. The shop has the most interesting range of foodstuffs from frozen to dried and all the bottles and jars inbetween.

But New World is still cheaper.

It's because they have more buying power and smaller chains are unable to compete unfortunately. 
New World isn't the cheapest, but after dropping into countdown the prices are radically higher on many products I buy on a regular basis, unless it's on special.
I think it would pay to shop at several diferent supermarkets if you can, & buy whatever's needed at the cheapest price.
But of course not everyone can do that - which might perhaps be an idea for an enterprising person with a smallish bus - driving from supermarket to supermarket so passengers can buy what they need at the best price, from door to door, & with assistance where needed getting grocerties carried to your door if need be.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Oh, those bloody Indians again - giving back to the community in spades.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(27-04-2024, 10:59 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think it would pay to shop at several diferent supermarkets if you can, & buy whatever's needed at the cheapest price.
But of course not everyone can do that - which might perhaps be an idea for an enterprising person with a smallish bus - driving from supermarket to supermarket so passengers can buy what they need at the best price, from door to door, & with assistance where needed getting grocerties carried to your door if need be.

If you really want the savings, you literally need to go round each supermarket and buy each special while at the same time not grab anything else that pops up in front of you!
The supermarkets tactics are always to throw specials around or offer promotions to attract people into the store and subsequently buy other products at the same time.
There was something on TV about this some time back about the tactics supermarkets use in their stores to fill your trolleys.
(27-04-2024, 10:59 AM)Lilith7/ Wrote: I think it would pay to shop at several diferent supermarkets if you can, & buy whatever's needed at the cheapest price.
Years back a friend of mine questioned his Mum's practice of visiting numerous supermarkets to take advantage of the various specials/discounts and the economics of travelling to do so.

Her answer was along the lines of "that doesn't matter dear, I go with your aunty in her car" Big Grin
(27-04-2024, 12:10 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Oh, those bloody Indians again - giving back to the community in spades.

Yeah, just terrible eh! Wink

(27-04-2024, 01:57 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(27-04-2024, 10:59 AM)Lilith7/ Wrote: I think it would pay to shop at several diferent supermarkets if you can, & buy whatever's needed at the cheapest price.
Years back a friend of mine questioned his Mum's practice of visiting numerous supermarkets to take advantage of the various specials/discounts and the economics of travelling to do so.

Her answer was along the lines of "that doesn't matter dear, I go with your aunty in her car" Big Grin

His mum was clearly a woman of intelligence! Big Grin