Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird flu interspecies infection
This situation playing out in the Northern Hemisphere and USA in particular is worth being mindful of. https://bnonews.com/index.php/2024/04/4-...n-the-u-s/
(27-04-2024, 03:36 PM)harm_less Wrote: This situation playing out in the Northern Hemisphere and USA in particular is worth being mindful of. https://bnonews.com/index.php/2024/04/4-...n-the-u-s/

That's definitely scary, hope it doesn't manage to arrive here.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Bit of a concern, the other week there was a reported case of it jumping from a cow to a farmer, there appears to be some risk to humans should you catch it, but for now its not able to spread between humans thankfully, that's when we should really be concerned.
Hopefully we can be better prepared to handle it with the experience gained from Covid.
(29-04-2024, 11:28 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Bit of a concern, the other week there was a reported case of it jumping from a cow to a farmer, there appears to be some risk to humans should you catch it, but for now its not able to spread between humans thankfully, that's when we should really be concerned.
Hopefully we can be better prepared to handle it with the experience gained from Covid.

I hope this govt can have the sense to learn from the covid experience here if it does turn up here.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(29-04-2024, 11:32 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(29-04-2024, 11:28 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Bit of a concern, the other week there was a reported case of it jumping from a cow to a farmer, there appears to be some risk to humans should you catch it, but for now its not able to spread between humans thankfully, that's when we should really be concerned.

I hope this govt can have the sense to learn from the covid experience here if it does turn up here.

I think the key is probably to take action sooner to close borders and implement MIQ style quarantine measures to negate the need of a lockdown, but being an avian flu, there is a global risk with migratory birds spreading it, so we have far more to worry about, including the threat to our native bird species.
(29-04-2024, 11:58 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(29-04-2024, 11:32 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I hope this govt can have the sense to learn from the covid experience here if it does turn up here.

I think the key is probably to take action sooner to close borders and implement MIQ style quarantine measures to negate the need of a lockdown, but being an avian flu, there is a global risk with migratory birds spreading it, so we have far more to worry about, including the threat to our native bird species.
Agree. The variety of infection vectors is far greater than was the case for Covid19. Birds, including poultry, cattle, cats, sea mammals, unpasteurised dairy products, and who knows what other mutations are in play already. And just as myrtle rust arrived on the wind so too migratory are uncontrollable by way of lockdowns.
Some concerning comments in this article from what looks like being from a reliable publication. https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-rep...res/109842
(29-04-2024, 11:58 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(29-04-2024, 11:32 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I hope this govt can have the sense to learn from the covid experience here if it does turn up here.

Good information on the disease here including why it's not here or in Australia so far, as far as we know.
(29-04-2024, 02:32 PM)harm_less Wrote: Some concerning comments in this article from what looks like being from a reliable publication. https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-rep...res/109842
That is a bit of a concern, looking at this Ive just realised its actually the same H5N1 strain that has been around since the mid 90's or so, for some reason I thought it was a newer strain that was a bit weaker.
I believe there are other avian flu strains around, but H5N1 has been rather deadly to humans who have contracted it.
(29-04-2024, 05:31 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(29-04-2024, 11:58 AM)nzoomed Wrote: I think the key is probably to take action sooner to close borders and implement MIQ style quarantine measures to negate the need of a lockdown, but being an avian flu, there is a global risk with migratory birds spreading it, so we have far more to worry about, including the threat to our native bird species.
Good information on the disease here including why it's not here or in Australia so far, as far as we know.
It shows how intensive farming of poultry in poor conditions has helped the virus spread and potentially mutate into a more pathogenic virus.
We are probably lucky for now, going by the type of birds that migrate here, but I guess there is always a measure of risk, just much lower than other countries.
I think the big thing to watch out for is if it jumps the species barrier to humans. I think we have far more to worry about than covid should it ever happen.
Seems we have escaped this situation over the the best part of 30 years, but its probably only a matter of time.