Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Battery Replacement
I had my car battery replaced by a battery shop the other day.

I was a bit surprised that he removed the old battery while the engine was running and then put in the new one.

I read somewhere that doing so may damage some electronic circuit/components in the car.

Any experts here to shed some lights on this?

Cheers
With most cars having an on board computer these days, if the battery is disconnected and replaced without using a backup battery all custom settings made by the customer will be lost, that's what happens with my Mercedes anyway.

So leaving the car running would achieve this result of backing up the battery voltage whilst it is being changed.

May be this is why they left the car running but it sounds a bit risky to me what with all the transients at the time of switch over.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I remember the last time I replaced the battery, the guy plugged in a small back up battery into the lighter socket and then replaced the battery, of course, with the engine OFF.

I was a quite surprised that the battery shop guy, being a professional in their trade did that way. Hopefully, nothing goes wrong with my car.

In future, if my battery needs replacement, do you think that I should request them to plug in the back up battery, rather than leaving the engine running while replacing it?
I think you should insist on it and so will I when I get my battery replaced in the very near future.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(04-05-2024, 08:55 AM)Galaxy01 Wrote: I had my car battery replaced by a battery shop the other day.

I was a bit surprised that he removed the old battery while the engine was running and then put in the new one.

I read somewhere that doing so may damage some electronic circuit/components in the car.

Any experts here to shed some lights on this?

Cheers

I'm curious, what type of car and the name of the company that did the battery?