Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RMS Niagara wreck at risk of oil spill
Been a bit of stuff in the news about this ship lately.
What blows my mind more is that the Germans were laying undersea mines in our waters so close to home!
Could make the Rena look insignificant to this going by what they are saying.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeala...-gulf.html
ah yes, NZ will be dumb ass about it and do nothing, and then when the wreck falls apart and we are facing a several hundred million dollar cleanup cost, we will then look to blame someone...

All I can say is I hope all relevant parties iwi, maritime nz etc are documenting their attempts to get something done about it so they won't be left the scapegoat...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Seriously? Maritime NZ said "it was unlikely that the bulk of the remaining oil would be released at one time"...I'm certainly not an expert but even I know that all it would take is an extra strong earthquake or storm to do just that.

We're idiots...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(09-05-2024, 11:51 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Seriously? Maritime NZ said "it was unlikely that the bulk of the remaining oil would be released at one time"...I'm certainly not an expert but even I know that all it would take is an extra strong  earthquake or storm to do just that.

We're idiots...

hmmm, still not an insignificant risk...
Quote:IPCC[edit]
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has recommended[17] some language for communicating likelihood.
>99% Virtually certain
>90% Very likely
>66% Likely
33 to 66% About as likely as not
<33% Unlikely
<10% Very unlikely
<1% Exceptionally unlikely

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_of_e...robability
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(09-05-2024, 11:51 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Seriously? Maritime NZ said "it was unlikely that the bulk of the remaining oil would be released at one time"...I'm certainly not an expert but even I know that all it would take is an extra strong  earthquake or storm to do just that.

We're idiots...

I guess there is a bit of a big unknown about how much fuel is left, did many people survey the wreck during the war to see if any oil was released at the time?
I guess its possible its been slowly leaking oil the whole 80 years thats passed and not much remains.
What we should already have a good idea about is if the oil thats being released is increasing or not, in theory it should be getting worse over time if the ship is deteriorating.
Thats why a survey is needed, my main concern is if they drill into the ships fuel bunker like whats being proposed, it could inadvertently cause a huge release of oil which would be undesirable.
Probably best to consult some experts on the matter.
I see they were talking about the possibility of getting the navy involved which would be a good option that should not cost the govt much, the big question is if they have the resources required.
We really need a sat dive team and/or underwater ROVs to investigate, there must be people involved with this sort of work elsewhere around the globe.
(09-05-2024, 12:32 PM)nzoomed Wrote:

We're idiots...

I guess there is a bit of a big unknown about how much fuel is left, did many people survey the wreck during the war to see if any oil was released at the time?
I guess its possible its been slowly leaking oil the whole 80 years thats passed and not much remains.
What we should already have a good idea about is if the oil thats being released is increasing or not, in theory it should be getting worse over time if the ship is deteriorating.
Thats why a survey is needed, my main concern is if they drill into the ships fuel bunker like whats being proposed, it could inadvertently cause a huge release of oil which would be undesirable.
Probably best to consult some experts on the matter.
I see they were talking about the possibility of getting the navy involved which would be a good option that should not cost the govt much, the big question is if they have the resources required.
We really need a sat dive team and/or underwater ROVs to investigate, there must be people involved with this sort of work elsewhere around the globe.

Yes...but that would make sense. And cost money. 
Neither of which seems to interest this lot...although of course if they can make money from something, then that's a very different story & gets priority.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)