Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electricity constraints - What is "I will not comply" about?
There are lots of comments on FB about this morning's electricity crisis, along the lines of "I Will Not Comply", "I'm turning on every heater in the house" and "I'm not going to be told what to do in my own territory".   Is this part of the sovereign citizen movement?  Or just the usual selfish morons?
There was a bit of crunch on the electricity supply side and Transpower asked if everyone would mind conserving a little bit of power between 7-9am this morning to avoid power cuts...

usual anti-establishment idiots on FB presumably, they would be the first ones to complain if their power did go off...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I'm not too sure, many feel entitled to use whatever power they like since they consider they are paying for it.
We see the exact same reasoning with water restrictions.
But it is a bit of a concern that the grid can't handle the demands under heavy load.
Expect more of this as we head into winter.
I know transpower has been rapidly upgrading the grid to handle the excess power should the smelter close.
With more and more EVs, it could become more of a problem over time.
for the record I did turn every heater in the house on this morning, plus the woodfire burning overnight... it was minus 6 overnight in CHCH, too damned cold...

(10-05-2024, 09:48 AM)nzoomed Wrote: .....
I know transpower has been rapidly upgrading the grid to handle the excess power should the smelter close.
With more and more EVs, it could become more of a problem over time.
Every EV has a battery that is able to be discharged to the grid if connected by way of a V2G (Vehicle to Grid) system. The combined storage capacity of our growing EV fleet is close to 5GWh so by accessing just 20% of that by way of V2G gives NZ grid buffering capacity of similar size to that of our gas, geothermal or wind installations. The capacity of static home storage batteries e.g Tesla Powerwalls) is additional capacity that can also be directed back into the grid if circumstances require, and in most cases these batteries (and many EVs) are charged from domestic solar generation.

It is also worth noting that generation of the 400MW of domestic solar installed in NZ is essentially invisible so far as the Transpower data linked above is concerned as it is not able to be monitored publicly with much of it being used (or stored) within the owner's property or exported to the grid where it is only visable as reduced consumption within the local region. In our own case we were in a situation of being able to export surplus generation by 9:00am today and currently we're exporting about half of our 6kW of generation with the balance being 'stored' as heat in our HWC.

If the government had any real intentions of building resilience into our national electricity supply they could do a lot worse than incentivising domestic solar (and battery storage) but it seems they're too busy trying to sling shit at the previous government's carbon zero initiative to put any real intelligence into their energy policies.
I stayed in bed. No heaters beyond the cylinder, but I did boil the kettle. Twice. For tea, lol. And I will probably stay here for another hour or so till the sun moves a little further into the room.

Sometimes 'claiming rights' is another way of saying 'I'm selfish'.
(10-05-2024, 10:32 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I stayed in bed. No heaters beyond the cylinder, but I did boil the kettle. Twice. For tea, lol. And I will probably stay here for another hour or so till the sun moves a little further into the room.

It does sound like the 'sovereign citizens' lot.

I suspect it was sheer idiocy...there's a very marked contrast between the attitude of those people & the attitude of most during things such as WW2, when virtually everyone worked together & did what was needed for the good of everyone. 

And this does rather reek of selfishness.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(10-05-2024, 11:09 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(10-05-2024, 10:32 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I stayed in bed. No heaters beyond the cylinder, but I did boil the kettle. Twice. For tea, lol. And I will probably stay here for another hour or so till the sun moves a little further into the room.

It does sound like the 'sovereign citizens' lot.

I suspect it was sheer idiocy...there's a very marked contrast between the attitude of those people & the attitude of most during things such as WW2, when virtually everyone worked together & did what was needed for the good of everyone. 

And this does rather reek of selfishness.
and entitlement...

Funny how that changes once life comes along and swats them on the butt.

However, just in case the cold snap continues I have made a huge pot of pea'n ham soup. It is a sure remedy for the chills.
(10-05-2024, 02:54 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Funny how that changes once life comes along and swats them on the butt.

However, just in case the cold snap continues I have made a huge pot of pea'n ham soup. It is a sure remedy for the chills.

I've just had a  telling off via FB from third eldest granddaughter,cleverly disguised as an enquiry as to whether I'm warm enough..

I told her that wherever I am the day she gets a telling off from a grandchild, I'll be laughing.. Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)