Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seymour apology to Tamaki
Interesting that while Chloe waits for him to finish what he's saying before commenting, he doesn't show her the same courtesy. I've noticed  him that with other people too.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...ation.html

Quote:ACT leader David Seymour has stood by his apology to Destiny Church that it should have had a charter school six years ago. 
Seymour gave a speech on Parliament grounds back in 2018 where he said Destiny should have had a charter school. 
The controversial religious group had multiple bids to set up a charter school blocked by the Ministry of Education over fears students could be pressured into joining the church. 
You applied for your excellent, independent school in South Auckland to become a charter school and we said no because the authorities, because the establishment against that was too strong," Seymour said in 2018. 
"I want to say to you today I'm sorry for that decision, that was wrong. Destiny should have had a charter school and I want to take this opportunity to tell you that." 
Destiny Church leader Brian Tamaki posted the speech on social media after last week's announcement that the Coalition Government would bring back charter schools. 
He said he expects Seymour to be true to his word and Destiny Church's application should be the first one approved. 
"I have to say that in the years since that clip… Having seen Destiny people protest and rev their motorbikes outside a constituent of mine that had cancer and basically refused to take that into account, I have a much dimmer view of them these days." 
Seymour said any applications to become a charter school would be taken on merits and whether the school can make a difference for students. He said Destiny Church, as it is today, "might face some challenges with that". 
In response to Seymour's comments on Monday, Tamaki said the ACT Party's damage control was "kicking in" and Seymour was "trying to backpedal at rapid pace."

in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)