Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pope Francis: overpopulation is a myth — we need more children
Worth a read, the Pope says some sensible things:

Amongst a few others this one stands out:

"Lonely grandparents, discarded grandparents: this is cultural suicide. The future is built by the young and the old, together. Please, when talking about the birth rate, which is the future, let us also talk about grandparents, who are not the past, but help the future. Have children, lots of them, but also look after your grandparents."

https://www.mercatornet.com/pope_francis...e_children
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Oh dear.

Species dominance is something Mama Nature does not like...

As for grandparents, well, thing is - we live too long.
Oh dear - & he seemed so sensible, too.

The planet's already struggling with too many of us.

I think a part of the 'lonely grandparents' thing may be due to most of us not really fully understanding each stage of life until we're in it, or just through it, & also the busiest part of human lives seem to be roughly 20s,30s, & 40s which is also about the time when most tend to become grandparents.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Useful creatures, grandparents. When parents are solo, or forced to both work instead of parenting...

The modern way of life has a lot of disadvantages.
I'm going to the MIL's for dinner tomorrow night. She used to make big family dinners, birthdays, Xmas etc. Now my daughter's do it for her because she's getting on a bit, and he's in his 90's. Good to see my girls stepping up to help their grandparents, when her own kids don't.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(08-06-2024, 07:08 PM)Zurdo Wrote: I'm going to the MIL's for dinner tomorrow night.  She used to make big family dinners, birthdays, Xmas etc. Now my daughter's do it for her because she's getting on a bit, and he's in his 90's.  Good to see my girls stepping up to help their grandparents, when her own kids don't.

They're clearly well brought up young women then, well done them. Its always good to see grandkids give a helping hand when its needed.

(08-06-2024, 05:13 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Useful creatures, grandparents. When parents are solo, or forced to both work instead of parenting...

The modern way of life has a lot of disadvantages.

Yep, I think having a society in which both parents have to work just to survive is a big mistake; we were better in some ways, when it took just one wage to support a  family.

We could learn from other countries,too - one example being the Swedish maternity leave which is not only generous, its compulsory for the dad to do a part of it,too which has to be good for bonding.

The world is a weird place. And humans are crazy. Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
having lots of children is great as long as other people dont have to pay for and feed them
yes i know
There is is. Bet your school reports used to say '...does not play well with others...'
(09-06-2024, 12:10 PM)jim157 Wrote: having lots of children is great as long as other people dont have to pay for and feed them

Prefer them to starve, would you... Dodgy