Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police issue warning to Facebook marketplace users as man faces the Court
Facebook MarketPlace, be careful, scammers galore:

https://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/...cmin=&cmax=
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
The point that I'm familiar with is online buyers (via Trade Me or our own webstore) that email a screenshot of a bank transaction as 'proof' that they have made payment. The risk of "fake images" is real as mentioned in that Police release. The only confirmation of payment we accept is seeing the deposit in our account. I know there is the odd case where a buyer can reverse or cancel a payment and thereby renege on the deal but I figure the audit trail left by such actions would be sufficient to track the offender down.
I have always said I would rather be the victim, than the dishonest soul who scams someone else. Recently that got tested, but it still holds.

Doesn't stop me planning my revenge though...
(17-06-2024, 06:34 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I have always said I would rather be the victim, than the dishonest soul who scams someone else. Recently that got tested, but it still holds.

Doesn't stop me planning my revenge though...

It'll come back to them eventually.
I've never used marketplace & this makes me glad that I haven't.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Revenge planning pleases my dark side! And this was TM - so if she proves obstinate after receiving her parcel back I can always open a dispute with the staff...
Tons of scammers there, easy way to pick them is they dont want you to pick up and when you ask for photos they just send you something they found on a google image search!
(17-06-2024, 07:18 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Revenge planning pleases my dark side!  And this was TM - so if she proves obstinate after receiving her parcel back I can always open a dispute with the staff...

Better than marketplace then ,&  hopefully a good result.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)