Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post code health system
Our health system has been allowed to deteriorate over the last 40 odd years, & is in desperate need of fixing. And NOT in a way which ensures healthcare which is so expensive that it shuts out those on low incomes; a health system which everyone is able to access.  The present health system is a disgrace to all the previous govts which have allowed the situation to continue or have actively made it worse.
People in rural communities are now dying at higher rates simply due to where they live. More GP's are likely to close their surgeries because of rising costs & underfunding.

I think its time the system was overhauled; a good start might be to bond newly qualified drs & nurses, have them work in rural areas for say 2-3 years & in return reduce their student loan reasonably substantially.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/5241...octors-say
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Did that work with teachers? I remember being one, and facing the fact that bonding was just another way of using education to control and enforce.

Postcode healthcare exists, because it is not possible to place the resources of a city in a rural setting. But where we live is a choice. And each choice comes with consequences as well as benefits. Maybe we need reminding, life was never designed to be fair.
(05-08-2024, 12:23 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Did that work with teachers? I remember being one, and facing the fact that bonding was just another way of using education to control and enforce.

Postcode healthcare exists, because it is not possible to place the resources of a city in a rural setting. But where we live is a choice. And each choice comes with consequences as well as benefits. Maybe we need reminding, life was never designed to be fair.

From memory, the teacher bonding was just for a set time & was for the benefit of rural areas as well as the cities.
 I'm not so sure though, that where we live is always just down to choice; it can also involve stuff like family ties or preference for country or city life.

I think what we need is politicians who can take a longer term view.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I don't think we have the wealth to bring the city to the country. Perhaps we can improve access for more people, but the reality is, we cannot even the playing field for everyone. Not in a public health system, where resources are limited by the funds and expertise available. Which is why we have other means for people in need, give a little, charity fund raising, gifted help. People still suffer and die, always will.

As for bonding, it is a way of forcing someone to do something they do not want to do in exchange for getting something they want. No matter who benefits, someone has to pay. Free choice to enter into such agreements, for sure, but having been in that system, the coercion of it is still a hard pill to swallow.

And to my mind, everything is a choice. Sometimes an impossible one, but it is always there. Yes, or no. It is a choice, it is just the cost that varies. And the courage required to make it.
The thing is that, over & above it all what's sorely needed is an improved health system. Perhaps if we paid higher taxes (& removed any means of avoiding tax paying for those inclined to do that) & had politiciams who had the sense to ask nurses, Dr's & other health professionals whats needed & then acted on that, plus taking a long term view as to what may be needed later then we might have some progress.

I see ambulance staff are going on strike according to tonights news, & midwives are taking govt to court for mucking them about for 9-10 years rather than daling fairly with the problem.

Humans are idiots...
Yes, we had an ambulance in the drive at the weekend (part of living with a bunch of old fogies, lol) and the strike stuff was painted all over it.

Our front line health industry staffers are angels.
(05-08-2024, 08:03 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Yes, we had an ambulance in the drive at the weekend (part of living with a bunch of old fogies, lol) and the strike stuff was painted all over it.

Our front line health industry staffers are angels.

Yes, they are that & imo,deserve far better pay & conditions. The entire system needs an overhaul but preferably only with input from those at the front lines, the nurses & others who know what's needed.
Quite why the hell its so difficult for politicians to consult those who know what's needed & will be most affected by any changes made is a mystery.
First thing to be done is stop nurses doing shifts in different hospitals, surely that's where all the Covid cases are popping up from in old peoples' homes.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
the only problem to address really is how to pay for it all - if we sort that one out all the other problems go away...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(06-08-2024, 01:20 PM)king1 Wrote: the only problem to address really is how to pay for it all - if we sort that one out all the other problems go away...
Be careful what you suggest. Apparently the health sector is running at a loss, political speak for privatisation needed ASAP  Dodgy

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/5242...ester-levy
(06-08-2024, 03:22 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 01:20 PM)king1 Wrote: the only problem to address really is how to pay for it all - if we sort that one out all the other problems go away...
Be careful what you suggest. Apparently the health sector is running at a loss, political speak for privatisation needed ASAP  Dodgy

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/5242...ester-levy

Ah yes, that most beloved little tool of Neo Liberals, privatisation. Also known as healthcare only for the wealthy ( with a few charity hospitals chucked in for appearance) while the poor will just have to suffer.

I'm so old that I can remember when there were no charity hospitals, when anyone could access healthcare; before greed overtook the world...

If allowing others to suffer actual physical pain so that you & your mates can become immensely wealthy isn't evil then what the hell is it? Dodgy