Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Strip Him...
Of His Knighthood
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/s...WKMKFBF7Q/
Yes - Jacinda's onto it! Smile
I think they are going to, filthy old man.
Shoulda carried him out in a box

Disgraced businessman Ron Brierley's sentence quashed and eligible for release from prison this month, Australian court orders - NZ Herald

POS
I knew a couple who worked for him at a senior level, for a while. After hearing them talk about him I never understood why he was held in such high esteem by the business community. The man is a sociopath.
I had a friend who was closely connected to his organisation in the late 80s. The stories! OMG what a twisted tragic he was, but not directly predatory as his pleasures were at arm's length.
Yes, he certainly lacked a sense of decency. Or empathy. But maybe that is why he was able to do so well, at the costs other people bore for their lifetimes. The man was and probably still is a predator. With luck he will endure his own hell.
There are very few genuinely nice business people who are properly wealthy, and I say that as a strong supporter of free-market capitalism.

If you read up about anyone in business with a net-worth > $100M, almost invariably they work crazy long hours, i.e. 70h/wk+ (aka neglected their family) and have treated some of their competitors/business partners/customers/staff etc. very questionably.
One might suggest extreme success like that in business suggests a form of neurodiversity.
'corporate raider'
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
He's already resigned it. And so he damn well should.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/crime-ne...nighthood/

Then again, Australia might send him back here as a 501. Whatever happens I hope he never knows a minute's peace.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(01-02-2022, 10:24 PM)dken31 Wrote: There are very few genuinely nice business people who are properly wealthy, and I say that as a strong supporter of free-market capitalism.

If you read up about anyone in business with a net-worth > $100M, almost invariably they work crazy long hours, i.e. 70h/wk+ (aka neglected their family) and have treated some of their competitors/business partners/customers/staff etc. very questionably.
Would agree in the main with this.^ As you stated there are some that are genuine. 
In late '88 a new Company was set up in Auckland on the Shore. Started with a small office. They hired a couple who were running a C C Co, as time progressed the Co started a remarkable period that not only resulted in rapid growth but the need to find new premises finally ending with the move to a new 3 floor building in Hurstmere Rd.

Thru-out all this the couple never felt vulnerable re their position with this Co. That is larger Co being asked for quotes to replace them.

Eventually the Company was purchased by the Commonwealth Bank, one of the last nights said couple were working the Husband was tapped on the shoulder by the Office Manger with the words " You & your family have been an integral part of our success, as such the founder would like to show his appreciation by financing a trip for the family to the birthplace of the wife."

Cutting to the chase, rather than taking the trip the couple were rewarded with the trip value being gifted as a contribution toward the deposit of a house they were desperate to attain. The founder also offered to go guarantee on mortgage.

When asked why his reply "Because they are family."
(02-02-2022, 02:40 PM)jackford Wrote:
(01-02-2022, 10:24 PM)dken31 Wrote: There are very few genuinely nice business people who are properly wealthy, and I say that as a strong supporter of free-market capitalism.

Would agree in the main with this.^ As you stated there are some that are genuine. 
In late '88 a new Company was set up in Auckland on the Shore. Started with a small office. They hired a couple who were running a C C Co, as time progressed the Co started a remarkable period that not only resulted in rapid growth but the need to find new premises finally ending with the move to a new 3 floor building in Hurstmere Rd.

Thru-out all this the couple never felt vulnerable re their position with this Co. That is larger Co being asked for quotes to replace them.

Eventually the Company was purchased by the Commonwealth Bank, one of the last nights said couple were working the Husband was tapped on the shoulder by the Office Manger with the words " You & your family have been an integral part of our success, as such the founder would like to show his appreciation by financing a trip for the family to the birthplace of the wife."

Cutting to the chase, rather than taking the trip the couple were rewarded with the trip value being gifted as a contribution toward the deposit of a house they were desperate to attain. The founder also offered to go guarantee on mortgage.

When asked why his reply "Because they are family."
That's the kind of business people we need - more like them & the late Anita Roddick & the world would be a better place.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)