Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Really??????????
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/the-year-t...JDZAAZPLM/

Guessing the more students that pass levels makes da school look good Idea
It also helps in dumbing down the population..
Well, let's face it - how many of us can honestly say we liked and understood Shakespeare at school? I certainly didn't though my husband likes Shakespeare and has a set of DVDs of all the plays (his retirement gift that he chose last year). I have been to several of the more popular plays over the years - Hamlet, Othello, Romeo and Juliet, As you like it, A Midsummer Night's Dream and others, but can't get into the rest, even when he explains them to me! So many (males especially) leave school without being able to read very well, so it's important to get them to read what they're interested in and comprehend what they're reading.

We had to read all sorts of boring books at school - Lorna Doone, Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe, Charles Dickens was a bit depressing! I failed O level English Literature but passed English Grammar ( 2 different subjects in my day).
If only we'd had the chance to read books we liked - I'm into biographies, some science fiction and contemporary novels these days and have hundreds of books.
So I very much agree with getting people to read more of what they like.

I got my children into reading at a young age and they also love books. I can't wait until my grandchild is old enough for me to read her Spot the Dog and Paddington lol