Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pumped hydro storage
A study to evaluate the potential of using Lake Onslow in a pumped hydro storage set-up seems well advanced. Great idea if the viability is there. The technology is already proven in the UK at least. This video explains the mechanics of how such a system works:

(26-07-2020, 06:30 PM)harm_less Wrote: A study to evaluate the potential of using Lake Onslow in a pumped hydro storage set-up seems well advanced. Great idea if the viability is there. The technology is already proven in the UK at least. This video explains the mechanics of how such a system works:

I like the concept, usually in the likes of europe, they use wind turbines to power the pumps to move the water up to the lake.
My main concern is the environmental impact it would have on the likes of rivers and wetlands. If these areas can be addressed, than it looks a good option.
Main question is, do we really need it anytime soon if Tiwai smelter is going to close?
Would money be better spent on solar panels on homes?
(26-07-2020, 11:56 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(26-07-2020, 06:30 PM)harm_less Wrote: A study to evaluate the potential of using Lake Onslow in a pumped hydro storage set-up seems well advanced. Great idea if the viability is there. The technology is already proven in the UK at least. This video explains the mechanics of how such a system works:

I like the concept, usually in the likes of europe, they use wind turbines to power the pumps to move the water up to the lake.
My main concern is the environmental impact it would have on the likes of rivers and wetlands. If these areas can be addressed, than it looks a good option.
Main question is, do we really need it anytime soon if Tiwai smelter is going to close?
Would money be better spent on solar panels on homes?
The way I understand it the excess generation from Manapouri (for Tiwai) won't address the diurnal imbalance from increased solar generation or the fluctuations from wind generation. That discontinuity of supply is best 'levelled' by storing the excess which is what pumped hydro can do.