Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$700 million wasted on cycle bridge for Auckland...
Thumbs Down 
Meanwhile a new crossing for vehicles is delayed at the expense of a free bridge for the lycra laden cyclists to use.
They should make it a toll system for the cyclists.

They could have easily incorporated a new cycleway into whatever tunnel gets built if they wanted.
I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, we obviously need to build infrastructure in Auckland (and other major centers) to account for increased traffic.

On the other hand, investing in alternative transport is going to help with traffic issues in the long term.

As for tolls, if cyclists have to pay then motorists should too (most cyclists are likely also paying road users). I don't know why the harbour bridge isn't tolled in the first place.

I'm not a cyclist (well, aside from recreationally), but I do see their point. I don't agree with the way they went about the protest, but it does seem to have made the govt listen.

I'm 50/50 on the issue.. should be an interesting outcome either way.
(06-06-2021, 11:38 PM)videomonkey Wrote: I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, we obviously need to build infrastructure in Auckland (and other major centers) to account for increased traffic.

On the other hand, investing in alternative transport is going to help with traffic issues in the long term.

As for tolls, if cyclists have to pay then motorists should too (most cyclists are likely also paying road users). I don't know why the harbour bridge isn't tolled in the first place.

I'm not a cyclist (well, aside from recreationally), but I do see their point. I don't agree with the way they went about the protest, but it does seem to have made the govt listen. 

I'm 50/50 on the issue.. should be an interesting outcome either way.
My biggest concern is learning how the bridge is loosing its strength and wont be able to carry as many vehicles. Its in urgent need of a second route.
I honestly thought it would have been simple to add a pathway onto the bridge at some point without adding much weight. There has been a few proposals over the years.
It is ridiculous the bridge never had a pedestrian path to begin with, since pretty much every road bridge ive seen has one.

I dont get how they need 100 million dollars to buy "land" for this new crossing? What land, if any is required? Wouldnt be a huge amount I didnt think, it would essentially be following the same route as the road, so dont know why more land needs to be purchased.

Also dissapointed that our northern link road has been scrapped, we desperately need this.
(06-06-2021, 01:28 PM)nzoomed Wrote: They could have easily incorporated a new cycleway into whatever tunnel gets built if they wanted.
nope, build a tunnel without any cyclelanes, the part of existing bridge could then be used for cyclists
yes i know
I would rather spend the billion dollars (which the cost of a cycle and pedestrian bridge will probably escalate to) on the nurses wages. A much better return to taxpayers.
adding more regular fairy services for the cyclists would be a better option in the short term.
Why should cyclists get everything for free when we pay enough for all the taxes and car registrations, RUC's etc?
(15-06-2021, 03:13 PM)nzoomed Wrote: adding more regular fairy services for the cyclists would be a better option in the short term.
I think the word you want is ferries.
Better idea all round. Build a structure that has all means of transport taken care of. Or at least accounted for in the design. Shallow enough climb angle that trains are able to use it. pedestrian path and four wheel traffic. 
 For the record I don't believe they ever intended to build a cycleway -It was smoke and mirrors to distract you
(13-06-2021, 09:41 AM)jim157 Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 01:28 PM)nzoomed Wrote: They could have easily incorporated a new cycleway into whatever tunnel gets built if they wanted.
nope, build a tunnel without any cyclelanes, the part of existing bridge could then be used for cyclists
A Kelly Tarleton version would demonstrate to Aucklanders just how dire the state of their 'sparkling waters' really is...
I think it is PC gone mad to not have cycle access across the harbor. People who ride bikes pay their taxes too and don't clog up the hospitals with heart attacks so much, and don't clog up the roads either.

There has been too many driving obsessed people on the relevant committees for too long. Cars just clog up the roads are and usually a waste of time as there is only a single person in a whole massive heavy car usually.
Few if any would use it to ride to work it wouldnt be very pleasant except on calm day & suited fi or the lycra clad fair weather riders . like cycle lanes in city few use them weekdays or in bad weather . But i reckon it was a bluff they wernt really going to build it