Poll: Should the Govt fund Team NZ to keep the americas cup held in NZ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
40.00%
2 40.00%
No
60.00%
3 60.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Should the Govt fund Team NZ to host the Americas Cup in NZ?
Question 
Do you think its worth it to the taxpayer to hold the Americas cup in NZ?
Probably not, it does bring in people who might spend money here (or in Auckland anyway) but the cost might outweigh that.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
yeah I agree, the sad thing is how much money is involved in this sport, it should be made more accessible so more nations can compete, these boats are so high tech that only billionaires can afford a campaign.
Dalton, more than nuff said Dodgy Dodgy
Yes I think The Govt should fund Team NZ as they are Completing & playing for our country.
As the government has doled out billions over the last year or so with zero return, especially without the GST from tourism, time to tighten the belts unless they can 100% PROVE there is a guaranteed financial benefit to NZ and explain it to the tax-payers. Every $5m costs every person in NZ $1, but as only about half are actually net tax payers, make that $2.

The government doesn't support other sports people putting NZ and local technology on the world stage, such as Hayden Paddon with his EV rally car.

A sport backed by billionaires only needs the backing of those billionaires.

Where did Grant Dalton's obvious wealth actually come from? Not from building or refitting boats that is for sure.

What is the carbon footprint of those billionaires flying their private jets to NZ? How many boats actually competed this last time?
I thought it had already been decided that the government wouldn't fund it this time? has something changed?
Nah those boaties are hellish rich anyway and they can pay for their 'sport'. Tbh I don't find it very interesting. It seems to be that ridiculous amounts of money are spent racing fancy boats round a harbour and the biggest wallet has the best chance. My wifes family built yachts and she grew up on them of course. One of her brothers is a very well respected yacht designer/builder & racer. But he sails ocean races not just round harbours. That's REAL racing. Heres a pic of one of the boats he designed and I don't think this was even during a race !

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/...527896.jpg

Apologies for the quality it's a snap taken of a framed photo on her mums wall.......
I love the Cup, it is a gorgeous spectacle with lots of nail biting moments. Wonderful entertainment.

But no. The money should be spent on more important things.
How do you vote?
America's Cup started as a rich man's game and should have stayed that way.
I love the America's Cup so much, that I say yes to the Govt funding it.

I think that NZ should do as much as it can, to support the AC. The millions that are spent on these boats, is what makes the racing so fascination and competitive. NZ is so innovative, and Auckland is the perfect place to hold it, with so many viewing spots. What a sight it is, to see the boats sailing in the Hauraki Gulf. It is absolute magic.
Magic ?
Nah.
(20-11-2021, 08:22 PM)Me+Me Wrote: Magic ?
Nah.
Magic?

Heck yeah. Smile
Grant Dalton
Nuff said
Yes they should support it, its a drop in the bucket of all the money this govt wastes.
ive voted it says.
wonder who it was for?
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Definitely not. It might be entertaining if you enjoy it, but the "sport" aspect is just rich boys playing with expensive toys and cost NZ far more than the promised benefit. The money would be much better spent on something to do with creating equitable opportunities for kids to get started in sports. So many of our "best" are just there because they are richest. They are great achievers, but it would be great if the poor kids could have a chance too.
(16-01-2022, 01:35 PM)SueDonim Wrote: Definitely not. It might be entertaining if you enjoy it, but the "sport" aspect is just rich boys playing with expensive toys and cost NZ far more than the promised benefit. The money would be much better spent on something to do with creating equitable opportunities for kids to get started in sports. So many of our "best" are just there because they are richest. They are great achievers, but it would be great if the poor kids could have a chance too.
Previous americas cups held here had bought a good amount of money into NZ, along with our boat building industry, I think last years was more of a flop due to Covid, nothing more, or else there would have been a very good attendance.
(16-01-2022, 01:35 PM)SueDonim Wrote: Definitely not. It might be entertaining if you enjoy it, but the "sport" aspect is just rich boys playing with expensive toys and cost NZ far more than the promised benefit. The money would be much better spent on something to do with creating equitable opportunities for kids to get started in sports. So many of our "best" are just there because they are richest. They are great achievers, but it would be great if the poor kids could have a chance too.
^^

Agree with this, Good summary