Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is decent housing a human right?
(16-01-2022, 04:40 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Whoa, he's back again! And agreeing with Magoo. This might not be a good thing...
I did say I would be back.  And Magoo made perfect sense.
I think we need to take a step back. In recent years there has been far too much government regulation in aspects of housing in areas where the politicians haven't got a clue what they're doing. That has been the basis of many problems from the leaky homes debacle through to the current housing shortage that has driven the prices up so high. Local and central government should instead be focussing on providing the infrastructure that we have paid rates and taxes for. Many urban areas now have water restrictions/shortages. Our main highways are years behind what we need in their maintenance and downright ability to cope with the volumes of traffic, etc. Our secondary highways and busy rural roads are rough, bumpy and usually too narrow. Our hospitals were struggling before Covid, let alone now that we have a pandemic on. Our education system isn't great. Etc.

If local and central government provided the services we have paid for, housing would likely take care of itself.
(11-01-2022, 03:35 PM)Magoo Wrote: the law of decreasing marginal returns states the the more available something is the cheaper it becomes.
the answer seems blatantly simple. build more houses.
That one is just the law of supply and demand - Diminishing Marginal Returns refers to supply side production where increases in production at some point reach an optimal level given the manufacturing inputs, but over that optimal level the returns per unit decrease... but you are quite correct far too much regulation and red tape
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
it was explained to me thusly.
you want ice cream, first ones $5, so's the next.
youve had a couple now but would eat another if it were cheap enough.
full now, dont want any more ice cream today at any price.

i know right, ice cream, makes me wonder where i learned it tbh.
ive never taken an economics or accounting class in my life.

so youre right
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye