Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lagging behind
Couching my words carefully, why does a certain ethnicity lag behind? What's the root cause?

As a team of 5 million, we've all had oodles of chances to be vaccinated. Given that the Māori over 50's are comparable with the rest of the population, that would suggest that access isn't the problem, so its the mindset of the "youngsters" at fault. Is social media behind it, like most things these days? 

There's been a lot of moaning from the likes of the Māori Party, but I'm not sure what they want to happen exactly. There's no magic bullet. A lot of the vaccine advertising on TV has been aimed at Māori and Pacific, so they're obviously not watching it. Maybe Ash needs to do some TikToks.

First dose %s
=========
Asian 95%+
European 87%
Pacific 82%
Māori 68%
I'm curious as to the reasons too. Would be interesting to know what the barriers are that are stopping them from getting vaccinated.
What even is the reason for low vaccine rates for Maori?
Perhaps that population are hesitant to getting it? (it did suggest this was an issue when watching an interview on the media)
Anyway, $120 million is going to waste from what I can tell.
(22-10-2021, 01:39 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Couching my words carefully, why does a certain ethnicity lag behind? What's the root cause?

As a team of 5 million, we've all had oodles of chances to be vaccinated. Given that the Māori over 50's are comparable with the rest of the population, that would suggest that access isn't the problem, so its the mindset of the "youngsters" at fault. Is social media behind it, like most things these days? 

There's been a lot of moaning from the likes of the Māori Party, but I'm not sure what they want to happen exactly. There's no magic bullet. A lot of the vaccine advertising on TV has been aimed at Māori and Pacific, so they're obviously not watching it. Maybe Ash needs to do some TikToks.

First dose %s
=========
Asian 95%+
European 87%
Pacific 82%
Māori 68%

Seems to me, that it's got to be a cultural issue, rather than just a NZ issue, for Maori.
Do they not trust the Government? Or what's in the vaccine?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/...get-jabbed

This is maybe more enlightening. I found it interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/o...ds-history
As Maori tend to vote Labour, it feels odd for them to not be trusting the Government. Like I said, the older Maori are vaccinated to a greater extent and you'd feel they'd be more distrustful given prior, um, history.

You'd think the media would be able to hack together a few vox-pops with Maori youth finding out why they don't want to get vaccinated, but no doubt that would get criticised for painting them in a negative light. It's a tricky tightrope walk sometimes.

Also weird that some can not trust what's in a vaccine, but have no qualms about eating some fatty junk food elements of which were no doubt created in some lab by a bunch of scientists. There seemed to be a lot of pudgy anti-vaxxers when you watched the Tamaki "not a protest".

I'm grumpy today.
(22-10-2021, 04:48 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: As Maori tend to vote Labour, it feels odd for them to not be trusting the Government. Like I said, the older Maori are vaccinated to a greater extent and you'd feel they'd be more distrustful given prior, um, history.

You'd think the media would be able to hack together a few vox-pops with Maori youth finding out why they don't want to get vaccinated, but no doubt that would get criticised for painting them in a negative light. It's a tricky tightrope walk sometimes.

Also weird that some can not trust what's in a vaccine, but have no qualms about eating some fatty junk food elements of which were no doubt created in some lab by a bunch of scientists. There seemed to be a lot of pudgy anti-vaxxers when you watched the Tamaki "not a protest".

I'm grumpy today.
Me too grumpy. In fact I am starting to have stabby moments again. Best hide the things with sharp edges.
(22-10-2021, 04:48 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: As Maori tend to vote Labour, it feels odd for them to not be trusting the Government. Like I said, the older Maori are vaccinated to a greater extent and you'd feel they'd be more distrustful given prior, um, history.

I'm grumpy today.
I wonder if the Kaumatua are failing their people, by lack of leadership?

You are right, in that Maori are generally Labour supporters, so it is hard to understand if they have a lack of trust in them, or maybe it's a lack of trust in the vaccination itself.

Buggered if I know.

Have some chocolate, or whatever helps you get through the grumps.Smile Sick

(22-10-2021, 05:36 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:

I'm grumpy today.
Me too grumpy. In fact I am starting to have stabby moments again. Best hide the things with sharp edges.
Oh God, not another stabby moment. Are these regular? Monthly?lol. Maybe you need a hunk o' spunk to whisk you away for a long weekend on a private beach, where it's only you and him, and lots of chocolate and wine to feed each other on.

Oh hang on, that's my fantasy, not yours. Big Grin
I'm sure we could rustle up some hunk o' spunks (yet another service that TMMB could provide) - what ratio of hunk to spunk are you after?