Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You can never have enough...
(13-04-2024, 01:14 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, it is a daunting task taking the money factor out of the calculations of the greedy.

Yeah...they do seem to react rather badly, don't they.  Dodgy

As confirmed by the immediate sqwuaking from the McBishop & others at the mere mention of the possibility that churches might be taxed... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
ohh tax them... pleasee!! I'd love to see Bishop having to pay taxes on the tithings he takes from his followers. Yes, they do some good, but omg the amount of $$$ they take must be huge for Bishop and his wife to live the way they do. My only issue with taxing the churches are the little communities. Our little local church has had to close due to lack of funding and they are currently deciding what to do with it.
Life is a one time offer, use it well 
Even if their assets were assessed and taxed...But then that sounds like a cgt...

Too much of church wealth is tied up in property, and stuff. If they have to realise that to pay taxes then the rest can go to their work as charitable organisations. And lots of churches do incredible work in the community, the macbish is right about that. I'd just like to see that being demonstrated in real terms instead of paraded on the leather jacketed backs of their chosen few...

https://www.reddit.com/r/auckland/commen..._this_yet/
morning ladies Smile The fog has come down, it was clear and fine five minutes ago!

I read your link OHH, and the comments made good reading. One comment relating to gang patches rang true. And why does a church leader need so many body guards? What's he worried about?

Today I'll be pottering about in the garden, there's some weeding to do and the remaining fuchsias need pruning. And there is a huge succulent the bees love that has finished and needs cutting back.

Over the last couple of afternoons I've been cutting the end of the runner in preparation for weaving. The look on MrK's face when I took the scissors to it was priceless lol.

Happy crafting Smile
Finally got to a couple of minor jobs I had on my list yesterday, put a extra decorative strip on the shade I bought for my big table lamp to lengthen it so it balanced with the base, and repaired a couple of framed silk pieces I inherited, so feeling very happy about ticking those off. Just a bit of kitchen cupboard scrubbing today so I can move on with the undercoating, not exciting but easy enough on the body.

The final stage of muscle regeneration after the hip op is underway now which is making life much easier, I have more flexibility and lifting power back and the movement pain is fading - the exercises are working at last. This one has taken longer than my first but then I am seventeen years older lol, so I have to be patient. We forget that no matter how we feel on the inside, the body still gets creaky. I have been following a tai chi master on instagram and using some of his moves - albeit a great deal slower and gentler than he does, and maybe they are doing the work the hospital physio's routine wasn't quite so good at. Either way, I like the results. And I'm hoping it helps with my balance, which is still not good enough to rely on, thank heavens for walls and handrails and furniture!
Mid morning everyone

Was woken early by a "How do I get the cake out of the tin" its stuck phone call...lol Well it wasn't too early 7-45am. I suggested letting it cool down a lot more. And Orange cake which is a very dense cake. I said use a fish slice.. and have a bottle of cream on hand to hide a multitude of sins.. And Even if it doesn't tell you to line the tin.. LINE THE TIN lol..

Today is one of the towns biggest days. steel and wheels is on in the main part of town. Steel cos our largest employer is the Glenbrook steel mill. So the town is full of machinery, hot rods, market stalls and everything in between. Its usually closer to mothers day which used to annoy people. Id forgotten it was on. but My friend dropped me some milk and tissues and said the roads were blocked already. Have been several planes and helicopters over too.

My grandmother designed some of the pensioner flats in Papakura many years ago. And I have to admit she did an awesome job. She lived in one of the bedsits for 19 years before she passed away. I have fond memories of four of us staying with her. My cousin and I top and tailing in her single bed, my cousin on an old army camp bed, my twin brother on a Bed settee, but only chair size and she slept on a li-lo on the kitchen floor. But we always had fun.

There was a small pond viewable from her kitchen window and a causeway you could walk across to get to the library and town faster. Its gated now. I would love to go in and see if they have changed.

Think Ill get my washing hung on the airer and Im planning on making a potato bake for tea tonight, so Ill get stuff ready over the day to make later.

My foot is nearly flat on the floor. A fair bit of swelling, which I expected as I use it more. and not as easy to elevate it above the heart.

Kiwimade I can imagine the look on MrK's face when you took the scissors to the cloth. But he would have also known that you know exactly what you are doing.. lol

Have a fab day all
Big Grin They told me I couldn't, so I did.!! Big Grin
Bit chilly in the Bay this morning - I was supposed to be house sitting for two weeks for my son and DIL but DIL had a brainwave - she knows the motel Mum well - was dental technician at her dentist so we all agreed that asking her and the children to house sit for the holidays was a great idea all round - the house sitting is more animal sitting an old cavoodle a hilarious French bulldog and a sassy old Russian blue cat who are used to sleeping on the kids beds or the adults bed - so when I house sit on my own all three are on my bed each with their own nighttime idiosyncrasies- the pantry and the freezer are full so it will be great for the kids to get out of the motel for the holidays - hope the kids don’t expect junk food my DIL has only healthy - I always pack my suitcase with chocolate etc .We are hoping that if everything goes to plan they won’t be going back to the motel
My Art Deco small house was built in 1942 - on one side we are a metre apart - the otherside a narrow drive way apart - if I am in my kitchen I can hear my close neighbours get up from the table - they have polished wooden floors so the wooden chairs make a unique sound .But I have a big backyard opening out onto a reserve with huge old trees - there are huge trees all around - across the street the sections are wider but they don’t have big backyards - two doors down is the last remaining community house in Napier that was bought by the Helen Clark govt - all along the street it goes 2 bedroom 3 bedroom 4 bedroom - the govt bought the 4 bedroom one and because the neighbours got so involved it has survived - 4 adult residents - receive a lot of assistance from health workers etc and the neighbour group set up and they are brilliant neighbours- don’t have a care in the world
Terrifying the happenings in Bondi - last week the police took 20 repeat offenders from Robies shop to court - 89 charges between them over 4 years - under the new police minister the police are acting on shoplifting - anyway 4 days after these people were in court the facial recognition camera picked up a trespassed shopper had entered the store one of the 20 - the camera only shows from your chin to your hairline not what you are wearing so it’s not instant recognition- by the time the identification procedure had been followed - 3 mins - he had left the store with $649 vacuum packed Wagyu steak - rego was sent to the police who were in the area - his well known vehicle was spotted and stopped - the meat was still in the bag with a sawn off shotgun - thank god security didn’t approach him .From 1st March repeat offenders have been in the shop - with 3 knives - staff threatened twice - a pistol found when the police arrested the 14 year old tucked into his jeans - a machete in a bag kicked away by a customer as the police struggled with the offender on the floor - and now a shot gun .The reason Foodstuffs wanted to introduce facial recognition was to identify before they entered the shop the recidivist offender who had been previously trespassed and was therefore in the system and stop them entering - yes it might identify somebody wrongly but surely the safety of the staff and customers overrides the risk .The security systems in wide spread use like the ones used against Golrig can be sent to whoever but the info on the facial system self destructs - obviously Foodstuffs are not going to be allowed to continue using it - the recent article in the herald from the Commerce commission complaining his friend who left the store with his groceries after his card declined proves that - the store didn’t even have facial recognition- it’s all about the safety of staff and customers -

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/foodstuffs...DZKEWIC7Y/

people shouldn’t be allowed to go shopping with a sawn off shotgun or a machete .The checkout operator who was attacked with a knife late last year is still off work - her freezer jacket saved her -wish Robie would sell the bloody place - he started off stacking yoghurt while he was at Uni was going to be a criminologist- they have both worked so hard it’s simply not worth it
Good afternoon. 

Lovely day ... have been on a slow walk to the beach.  Surfers out in force, people still sunbathing and swimming. A great start to the school holidays.

Glad that you are getting around Popeye, doesn't matter how ... you will find you can do more each day.  A really good plan to have a few tasks to achieve each day plus some interest hobbies thrown in.

OHH you have made huge progress with your recovery ... look what you can do now! I hope Mr R can get back to near normality ... eventually. A major for him to not have the bad pain anymore. 

Yes, that Bondi stabbing horrific  ... how many people are on the loose with hidden weapons ... so frightening for those that happen to be "in the way". Jan what your son has to contend with running his business is a nightmare. When you read that these people are stealing high-end products, you have to wonder about the "hardship" issue they claim.

We've had a leaf clean up today and will have to wait a bit longer for my vege garden big make over until the green bin is emptied. Who knows about pruning feijoas? Mine are in a confined area and I don't want to jeopardise next year's fruiting TOO much! They've been so good this year. 

Nearly lunchtime. 

Enjoy the day all.
Makes a great case for card controlled entry...

The idiots ruin it for those who have never broken a rule in their lives, let alone stolen a trolley load of groceries.

Without googling Roma, I believe they fruit on new wood, so the trick is to prune asap after fruiting to give the plant time to put on that new stuff. But check, I am not a feijoa expert despite the massive hedge just outside my flat...

Btw, adding them to banana cake recipes is genius, thank you to whoever it was who gave me that hint!.
lol that was me, OHH Tongue I swap bananas for feijoas and the results are delicious. Good to hear your exercises are starting to work Smile

Roma, OHH beat me too it. Prune old wood, not new as the fruit grows on the new. A bit like pruning hydrangeas, prune old wood.

The facial recognition works the other way as well. A woman in Rotorua was wrongly identified and two staff members accused her of being trespassed when she wasn't. I'd be furious if that was me. I get why they have it and yes, staff have to be safe and shoplifting stopped. But when staff are yelling at you loudly for the whole world to hear and they are wrong, then better training needs to be done and an apology issued. I believe NW is going to do that.
I remember shopping at our neighbourhood mall and being a regular at The Warehouse. They had the sign saying bags could be searched, but I was never stopped for that. Then one day I was in there with my daughter and as I left I was slightly ahead of her through the door and the staff member stopped her and asked for her bag. I went back and asked if there was a problem and the staff member, who knew me, was quite taken aback and didn't know how to react when I told her this was my daughter and did she want to search my bag too...

Racial profiling doesn't affect us much, until we see it up close and personal. I remember feeling both sad and angry, but as the kid said ' get over it Mum, not the first time, won't be the last...' I learnt a great deal about being brown in a white community from my golden child. I understand where a lot of the anger minority groups feel comes from now. And I understand the privilege that comes from being one of the majority much better.

Oh and thank you KM! Banana and feijoa cake slices in the freezer for those times when my sweet tooth demands satisfaction! No icing but...
morning ladies Smile We have the typical Waikato fog but it looks so pretty with the sun shining through.

lol you are welcome, OHH Smile And it is realllly good reheated with homemade custard and cream. No baking for us as MrK's blood test showed him as pre-diabetic on the lower end of the scale. It's doing us both good Big Grin

This morning, before the wind arrives with its usual gusto, I'll spray the weeds out the back of the house. It's hard to hand weed and a quick spray every three months does the trick. The mulch from the tree is setting quite hard and I suspect I may need to dig it over. I'll take some pics of the toadstools growing there first as they are amazing the way they grow in clumps. I see it as a good sign they are there though.

We have a few bits and pieces to list on FB Marketplace including son's riding gear. He has a job interview today, fingers crossed for him. So far though, he is enjoying Perth and has no regrets.

Happy crafting Smile
Morning all
Overcast expecting rain later

Quiet weekend here. Been digitilising our photo albums a very time hungry project.
Been to gym just finishing breakfast then shower. Need to sort docs for meeting this afternoon. 

DH happy watching US masters golf  final.

Enjoy your day
It's fun to have fun but you have to know how  Big Grin
Morning everyone

Mixed weather. have had sun and rain already lol.

Woke up early, straight into a saddy.. I wish they would stop. Slept again and with Madams Nursing Im happier again.

Making plans is a good way of keeping my mind at ease I think.

I made a beautiful potato bake yesterday and probably easily have 2 more meals. Ill have to get the ingredients out to make a pudding tomorrow.

David text to ask if I was up to seeing him, and he will put the battery back in the car etc. Id have said no earlier, but I know it will do me good.

I put a pair of my black short longs on this morning, they are tied on firmly. I really need to get some more. I must check my jeans too.. I've lost 57 kilos now.

Kiwimade I loved Perth, just wasn't ready to live there. But I never regret my extended stay. The views from Kings Park are lovely. I just wish I'd been into the WACCA.
The Fremantle markets were awesome. And the drive up the coast was beautiful.

Have a fab day everyone
Big Grin They told me I couldn't, so I did.!! Big Grin
Something is working where the tree was ground... toadstools are a sure sign the rotting process is happening. They look like little umbrellas with tassels all the way round.   And when I stepped where the tree trunk was my foot sunk.   Won't be long before we can plant there again Smile

Morning  all
Sunny and nippy

Cute toadstool cluster KM.
DH has had 3 feeds from the mushrooms that sprouted on our middle lawn.

Started  making PJs for DGD1 yesterday from fabric tha she chose.
Quilt guild day up the coast today will take cot quilt that I quilted  last week and hand stitch the binding  down. 

Enjoy your day
It's fun to have fun but you have to know how  Big Grin
A couple of my frittering purchases arrived yesterday, two maxi dresses and they remind me that being a short arse requires some rehemming of longer length garments. I have three to do now so my lovely old Singer will have to come out of hiding and get some exercise if I am to get any wear out of these pretties! Fortunately they each work for any season with or without an extra layer, we are lucky in Auckland that way.

While I am at it, there is one curtain that needs its hem resewn and I can do that without taking it down. Just as well, as my great recovery doesn't mean climbing a step ladder is a wise choice just yet!
Good morning.

Sunny and looking like another lovely day.

Kept busy yesterday with the GC. It was nice to use up time playing on the beach with them and a walk to burn up some excess energy. There had been drama in the early hours a bit further down involving the police and someone had unfortunately drowned afterwards. 10 yo GS beat me at Scrabble .... again!

SIL here for lunch, I shall make cheese scones to go with the soup. Nothing else planned.

Toadstools are fascinating ... I like to photograph them.

Enjoy the day all.
morning ladies Smile Overcast and cool here this morning.

I saw a body had been found at Mt Maunganui beach, roma Sad

We're back from MrK's hospital appointment. The beauty of early appointments is you get in and out on time.

Yesterday the painter rocked up and did the prep work on the soffits and fascia boards and will be back this afternoon to start painting. Things are certainly moving now the sparkies have done their bit.

Cheese scones.... now that's something we haven't had in a while.

Happy crafting Smile

Need to change into my gardening clothes and move a couple more plants from under the tree we are having removed. And the bins have been emptied which means I can start filling them with the garden waste that is piling up.
Beautiful morning here in the Bay - love autumn - but my rural son is bemoaning the lack of rain
Hunni I know all about your children getting racially profiled - I have two sons one adopted part Māori - one year apart - my blonde long haired AC DC T shirt wearing son never got pulled up in my nice Falcon ute going to rugby practice in town but my short haired dark skinned polo shirt wearing second son was repeatedly stopped - made to get out of the vehicle get patted down and the vehicle searched while they checked the rego over the radio .It’s a wonder my husband wasn’t charged with something when he went to the station to formally complain. I have a niggling suspicion that the Mum we are helping has struggled to get a house for exactly that reason .
I agree kiwimade what happened in New World Rotorua broke so many of the protocols around the use of the system - the security footage isn’t quite as dramatic as the report but nevertheless I hope that failure doesn’t outweigh the young trainee manager who luckily stepped out of the freezer with a thick jacket on absolutely unaware an armed robbery was in progress - he stabbed her - the knife went through the thick jacket and her jersey and shirt and bra and nicked her breast - he appeared in court last week one of 20 with 89 charges between them - 3 included weapons .Rotorua Countdown have closed one supermarket down as it is in a mall - they can’t guarantee staff security .It’s a real problem - two security people were killed in Bondi - surely if the technology is there to stop the recidivist offender who has been trespassed returning with a sawn off shot gun Foodstuffs should be allowed to prevent the their entering again .The young girl who was stabbed has not returned to work - started as a checkout operator and had been on heaps of training schemes and was well on her way up the ladder
On a lighter note Hunni have you noticed how small the eye of a machine needle has become
Did anybody see our Sooty cat the Mayor of Ahuriri on TV - I see the magpie in Oz has been allowed to go home to his Staffi mates - intervention by the Premiere no less