Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You can never have enough...
Bug 
morning ladies Smile  The sun is trying to come out but I suspect we are going to have showers off and on today.  I'm heading outside shortly to move more of the concrete.  It's an ongoing saga but I have a five step plan to work my way through it.  I'm currently at Step 1, move the concrete to build the new edging.  Step 2, get rid of the concrete fill, Step 3, repeat Step 1 for the concrete where the lawn will be and where the already moved fill was put, Step 4, get rid of the concrete from Step 3 and finally Step 5, build the garden, prepare the ground for lawn and sow lawn seed.  It's going to take a while but if I have a plan, I can work methodically and not be overwhelmed.  Although I could start Step 5 and begin building the new part of the garden once the edging has been put in place Tongue   

Yesterday I began sewing my sister-in-law's quilted bag and today I am hoping to finish it.  MrK has also finished making a gorgeous kauri box with a piece of paua inserted in the lid as a Christmas gift for the family member we are rostered on to buy for.  The family roster works really well as we only have to buy for one person (in theory) in MrK's family.  This year is a tad muddled as one sister-in-law is buying for the 'wrong' person and another is missing out.  Can't have that and am sewing a quilted bag for  her.  I'll take a pic of the box before I wrap it and post a pic here.  It's gorgeous, if I do say so myself.

Time is once again marching on, need to put washing on before I head outside.  Who needs a gym when moving concrete lol.

happy crafting Smile
Life is a one time offer, use it well 
Morning all
Overcsst here
I am still unwell cant remember when I was last unwell.
Horrible sore throat hot and cold so another day resting here.
Covid test not too bad had more uncomfortable precedures done.
Was going to put up xmas tree etc but that will wait for another day
Have a good day
It's fun to have fun but you have to know how  Big Grin
Morning everyone

Another overcast day.

I like plans when it comes to jobs too Kiwimade, little achievements, spur you on eh. You will get it done like all the changes you have made in the time we have been talking.

Hope you start to feel better soon Mica, I have a friend who has had about 10 covid tests I think it is, she said its a bit like having a mammogram, uncomfortable more than painful.

The area where the mesh is on my hernia repair started hurting yesterday. Its in a bugger of a place, so I didn't get much sleep, although I am up later than normal. I am strapped up again, Im going to make an appointment to see the Dr, and see if they are able to check it somehow, not sure if it will show up under a scan or not.

I also decided sometime around 4am I need to motivate myself. instead of sitting playing card games, so Im going to get the diamond painting out. I haven't done any for a very long time. And it needs to be done. I have the frames as well as the two kits so Ill do both and we can both have a picture. I only have two cos I couldn't find the missing diamonds and then found the original after the second one arrived lol.

Have a fab day everyone
Star 
morning ladies Smile  Another off and on showery day, I think for today.  I'm heading back out to the concrete shortly.

Yesterday I dug out a huge piece of concrete, pretty much at the limit of what I could lift.  I levered it out with the spade then attacked it with the sledgehammer and broke it into bits.  Much more manageable this way but omg I know I've been working.  A couple or three more mornings and I should have the new garden edging done.  I'm already getting rid of the smaller bits of concrete.

I also finished my sister-in-law's quilted bag, not perfect but she will like it (hopefully lol).  It still amazes me how the same pattern can look so different with different fabrics.  I gave my sewing machine a good clean and biffed the needle so it's all good to go when I need it next.  When in Spotlight next I'll have to buy some more machine needles.  And to top the day, I did the ironing.  Thought I might as well do that before I put the board away.  Must admit, I've been sleeping well lol.

Here's the pic of the kauri box MrK finished the other day for a Christmas gift.

Popeye, I wondered when you were going to get back into your diamond painting.  When I finished the one our daughter gave me for Christmas last year, I found little plastic dots on the floor for weeks even though I had vacumed.

Mica, I hope you are on the mend and your Covid results come back negative. 

I still haven't heard from Sunflowers.  Popeye, have you?

Happy crafting Smile
Morning all
Torential rain here

Feel bit better today but still not 100% covid negative

So another quiet day here

KM the box is beautiful such a lovely gift
Popeye enjoy finishing your diamond paintings

Have a good day
Morning everyone

Another overcast day. And warm. Got to 27.5 inside yesterday..

You are doing well with your concrete Kiwimade. I wish I had your energy.

I did 4-5 hours of painting yesterday and totally enjoyed it.. Yeah you can find those blighters everywhere lol. Will do some more today.

I need to do it cos the S.A.D is kicking in and I dont want to let it beat me.

Yes I wished Sunflowers a happy Birthday.. She is putting her house on the market, so Im thinking the flood really has affected her. Ill see if I can talk to her today.

MrP is having his gastro etc this morning. I thought he might be disappointed that I wasn't going with him, but he was fine.

Hope you are mending Mica, and that its not covid.. You will miss your visits of both human and canine kinds.

Have a fab day everyone
Rainbow 
morning ladies Smile  Another overcast day today.

Mica, that's awesome news about the negative test.  I bet you breathed a big sigh of relief. 

Yesterday as I was moving the concrete fill there was a huge commotion with some sparrows, looked up, and two sparrows were chasing a rat along the top of the fence and away from their nest.  I let out a yell (more of surprise than anything) and it took off in another direction with the sparrows in hot pursuit.  So today while I am out and about I'm buying a rat trap to set on the road side of the fence.  I usually throw bait up in the ceiling as the buggars get up there but it's too hot for them up there now and I can't leave bait around with the Furry One.  I'll have to let the neighbour know as their dog wanders and likes to sniff along our fenceline.  Would hate for his paw or nose to get caught in it.  I estimate another morning's work and I will have the concrete moved for the garden.  I'm also becoming a dab hand with the sledgehammer.

I stitched a bit more on my tui embroidery yesterday afternoon.  I'm working from the background to the foreground so it's branches, leaves and kowhai flowers for now.  When looking closely at the kowhai branches, they are more of a grey than brown.  It's not until you have a good look at something you realise the colours aren't what you think.

Happy crafting Smile
Morning all
Lots heavy rain over night again more expected today

Yes KM neg tests a,ways good I just wish it made me instantly bright eyed and bushy tailed, guess just got to be patient.
No sewing or baking. Want to make some more relish and need to get fruit mince mixed It will happen just be a bit delayed and off my schedule lol
So not making any plans for today but hope to put up xmas tree
Have good day
Morning everyone

So pleased about the negative test Mica, hope you mend soon.

I had an absolute right off of a day yesterday.. but feeling brighter today thank goodness.

Wow Kiwimade the Sparrows are tough cookies... We have a mains water grate thingee in our back yard and I've often wondered if we have critters there, but I haven't seen or heard anything thank goodness.

Im going to paint again today.. If I had done some yesterday I reckon I would have been undoing it today lol.

MrP was in bad pain last night. They found some bleeding in his stomach, he said they "tied" it off. Im not sure what he meant but he said he was sore. Which is unusual for him. Normally he just gets grumpy and tries to make me feel bad. so I rang and asked them to give him something for the pain. Hopefully he will be feeling better today.

Has anyone here played Guggenheim? Where you have a list of the alphabet down a page and them columns of categories so you have do do a word for every letter? We used to play it a lot in the winter school holidays. Well at 3am my brain just wouldn't turn off.
So between 3 and 5 am I got 25 girls names ending with A, cos I couldnt think of one starting with Q ... and 25 words ending in age lol... My brain is far to dammed busy lol... And yes I will be googling for the Q words lol

Have an awesome day everyone
Big Grin 
morning ladies Smile  Another humid day today I think.

No, popeye, I haven't heard of Guggenheim before.  Sounds like it could be challenging and something we could play in the car with the grandkids.

It's back outside to the concrete today, I'm almost finished Stage 1.  I also have to finish mowing the lawn along the berms, I couldn't mow them the other day as both wheelie bins were full of garden stuff and MrK didn't need anymore in the compost.  I also need to finish dead heading the roses.  Lemon and Lime seem to give an extra week of flowering  so wasn't done with the others.  I have a patio climbing rose in a pot that isn't doing so well, they only last so long in a pot.  So while outside I'll find a spot in the garden for it and hopefully it will do better.  I might put a Daphne in the pot as it's right by the gate.  I also need to turn Buff Beauty around as I planted her back to front.  A rookie mistake lol. 

A bit more Christmas shopping done yesterday as well as groceries.  I wish brown sugar was back on the shelves but know I have to be patient.  At least this time the Furry One has treats, so a win and a loss for shopping lol.  The Furry One knew what was in the shopping bag lol and was so excited to sniff it out.  I gave him one and he played with it, throwing it in the air and pushing it along the ground and wanting me to throw it for him to chase.  Crazy dog.  I suspect he has missed them lol.  Heart

Time to get cracking.  Happy crafting Smile
Morning Everyone

Yep up early. I want to do my blood and go and get some groceries in Pukekohe today. So trying to win against the heat.

We have played Guggenheim since we were kids. My twin hated it. Anything to do with "school" type games etc he didnt like. I dont recall him ever reading a book.

If we went to our grandmothers she always had educational games. one I remember was she would give us one word and we had to keep looking at meanings in the Dictionary and finding the next word to do in the hope that we got back to the original word. She loves scrabble and crosswords

OMG uncanny, funny you should mention the Daphne Kiwimade, last night after approx 5 years I heard from my eldest Cousin Daphne lol.. Its been fun catching up via email.. they have been flying lol.. She is now the Matriach of the family at 70. And yes her sister is Rosemary lol... Its just like we were talking yesterday.. She reached out as we lost our last Uncle from our mothers family in November.

I got quite alot of painting done yesterday. very happy with my process.. Im going to do this one and frame it and take it up to MrP for his room. Then Ill do the other for me.

Have a fab day everyone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categories_(word_game)
Morning all,
Havent looked outside yet having a wee lie in.

Managed a little sewing yesterday just got the hems to do and the dress will be finished. It fits and looks ok but not sure I'll use the pattern again.
Made another batch relish. Use slow cooker so its throw all ingredients in and go back 6-8 hrs later to put in jars. Makes nice Xmas gifts.
Agree about brown sugar I had just enough for the fruit mince. DH will have to wait for his Xmas cake this year.
Another quiet day you never know I might get the Xmas tree up

Have a good day
Morning all another warm one here in the Hawke’s Bay - have been laid low had my booster shot and it knocked me for a six for sure 
I hear you about the shortages in the supermarket -everyday either the staff or management get abused because of gaps on the shelves - the perception seems to be they are holding the stock back to price gouge in the week leading up to Xmas - I guess that’s because of all the price gouging claims during lockdown none were upheld but unfortunately the media don’t report that 
Kiwimade I have just swapped lemons for worm wee for my veggiepod which is going really well but I think I planted too many cucumbers and tomatoes in it -do I water the worm wee all over with the watering can -she has offered me some tiger worms next time she comes over I can hear my husband up there chuckling I don’t like worms 
Grandkids have finished the school year - they board and everything has to be emptied out of their rooms so it is chaos at their house sorting it all out and carting it upstairs - had a chuckle my granddaughter has invited herself round for lunch one way to leave it for everybody else to shift - a girl after my own heart 
Good to hear you having contact with your extended family Popeye it’s usually fun 
Might go back to bed
Time for a break from outside as it's getting really hot out there. Jan, I water our worm we down so it looks like brewed tea and then use the watering can to spread the love. When your cucumbers are ready you could always make Bread & Butter Pickle. It's really yummy with cheese and crackers or cold meat and salad. Tomatoes can be thrown in the freezer and used for casseroles in the winter. MrK always has extra tomato plants in water on the kitchen windowsill as they take root really quickly. He uses the laterals he's picked off the plants. So we usually have a ton of tomatoes over summer. That ASB advert where they have a glut of tomatoes is a bit like us lol.
Problem is my veggie pod is only 1 metre square and I think I must have thought I had an acre - but the plants were in bundles of 4 so I gave half to the neighbors and planted  the other half couldn’t let them die - so I have two Apple two Lebanese and two  heirloom Indian cucumber that goes bronze - six different tomatoes - 2doz duchess carrots which are the little round fat ones - 12 red spring onions - 8 cos lettuce and 12 red lettuce - I have some pea and radish seeds but I might just save them
I had some Lebanese seed with a TM purchase, but I think it was old seed. I set two lots and none of them germinated. Very disappointing - specially seeing I promised Autumn some (too many for me). So I have bought some more from a more trusted source, and we will see how that goes. Picking my first beans and lettuces though, so life is good!
(08-12-2021, 07:20 PM)My favourite Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I had some Lebanese seed with a TM purchase, but I think it was old seed. I set two lots and none of them germinated.  Very disappointing - specially seeing I promised Autumn some (too many for me). So I have bought some more from a more trusted source, and we will see how that goes. Picking my first beans and lettuces though, so life is good!
My favourite cucumber as they don’t repeat -I didn’t put beans in
Brick 
morning ladies Smile There's a real pea souper of fog outside this morning.  At least the traffic have their lights on this time... the amount of cars we see on the road, in the fog, without lights on beggars belief.

Jan, your vegie pod sounds awesome Big Grin  We tie our cucumbers up along the fence so the pumpkins have the ground  below.  I had to laugh when I read you have planted for an acre of land, maybe there is a way you can 'tame' the cucumbers by encouraging them to grow upwards.   Yummmmmm oh_hunni_hunni, home grown beans are so good.  Ours will be late as we also had dud seeds and had to start again.  The raspberries are starting to ripen so now the race between us and the birds begins.

One more morning of moving concrete fill and the garden edging will be done.  Then our neighbour can take as much of it away as he likes.    I also have some dahlia tubers to plant, late I know, but a friend texted me and asked if I would like them.  Who can turn the new variety Cafe au Lait down  Heart .  After I have finished the edging I'll plant them somewhere in the garden.  Eventually they will end up in the new bit I'm working on now.  

I stitched for a bit yesterday afternoon and so far, so good.  Still working on the background and am very happy with what I have done so far.

Time to get cracking and make the most of this fog.  Happy crafting Smile
I have a neighbour in the village who grows masses of vegies in bins around his unit. He is a superb gardener, but he tosses plants out when they stop doing what he wants and they end up in the compost. Then along comes me with my little bucket of kitchen peels and rescues his rejected marigolds and abandoned lettuces to replant in my bare patches.

Waste not want not my gran used to say, all part of the glorious circle of life in a pensioner village, lol...
Morning all
Overcast and ore rain to come.

The lurgy lingers which is not he,ping my xmas planning schedule.

Like the hearing about everyone's gardening exploits. My DH is the gardener here.

Did get the hems done on my dress the fabric is naughty and won't hold a press. I am not fond of the haven't been ironed look. I will put the garment in time out for awhile.

Have a good day everyone