Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Queen Elizabeth
Heart 
We are witnessing the decline of the Queen now, and the realisation that she isn't going to live forever. A bit like the feelings we have, when we know we are going to lose a parent.

Yes, we know she's an old lady, and it's to be expected, but I feel a sense of sadness of the inevitable.

Are you a royalist? Are you going to feel a sense of sadness when she passes?

---------------------

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/roy...3GF4DPL4Y/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/que...CYTMAMDWM/

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/2...cal-advice

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ce...3b2a67a086
She was born the same year as my Mum, she became Queen the year I was born, and her Dad commissioned my Dad in the British Army so I regard her as family.
(29-10-2021, 10:30 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: She was born the same year as my Mum, she became Queen the year I was born, and her Dad commissioned my Dad in the British Army so I regard her as family.
Oh how cool. I can see the family resemblance. :-))

My Mum was also born in 1926.
You're a '52 baby. I'm '55.
You have a birthday soon, don't you? I know for a fact that you will turn 69. OOps, is that a secret? Nah, coz you made mention of it on TM. Oh yes, I read alot and see alot. lol
Bets were taken, money was lost because family birthdays were on the 3rd, the 4th, Guy Fawkes on the 5th, and the most important one on the sixth. What can I say - I had a good book...
(29-10-2021, 10:59 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Bets were taken, money was lost because family birthdays were on the 3rd, the 4th, Guy Fawkes on the 5th, and the most important one on the sixth. What can I say - I had a good book...
I'd have been so happy to say that I'd arrived with a bang.
But instead, I was born on the same date as Osama Bin Laden. What does that tell ya fgs.
No, I'm not a royalist but I do have respect for the Queen and the work she has done. Mind you, she's been lucky to have lived a long and mostly healthy life, unlike a lot of her subjects. And had the support of her mother and husband for many years, which a lot of us are not fortunate enough to have. I won't feel sad but look forward to watching the funeral on TV, which will be massive in spite of Covid. Then there's the big question of Charles and Camilla becoming King and Queen - have they done enough to be accepted now? I think they probably have, though there will always be a few loonies that won't accept him! I don't expect Charles to live as long as the Queen so maybe I will live to see William and Katherine crowned. (Charles is a year younger than me so I'll have to stay motivated to live longer! lol)
(30-10-2021, 08:45 AM)Outsider Wrote: No, I'm not a royalist but I do have respect for the Queen and the work she has done. Mind you, she's been lucky to have lived a long and mostly healthy life, unlike a lot of her subjects. And had the support of her mother and husband for many years, which a lot of us are not fortunate enough to have. I won't feel sad but look forward to watching the funeral on TV, which will be massive in spite of Covid. Then there's the big question of Charles and Camilla becoming King and Queen - have they done enough to be accepted now? I think they probably have, though there will always be a few loonies that won't accept him! I don't expect Charles to live as long as the Queen so maybe I will live to see William and Katherine crowned. (Charles is a year younger than me so I'll have to stay motivated to live longer! lol)
I believe the Charles and Camilla have done enough. It looks like William and Harry are comfortable in her presence too, which is lovely to see. It would be just dreadful if they hated her.

I think Charles, when he becomes King, will be one that could abdicate at some point, to allow William to become King.  I would love to see that in my lifetime. You and I are about the same age, and wouldn't it be terrific if we could see that. I think that William and Kate will serve us well, and they are so popular. Would be great for the monarch going ahead, to have a youngish King.

I am a royalist, and will shed tears when the Queen dies, as I did when Diana died. It was tragic when Diana died, and it will be sad that our dear Queen goes.
I'm not a royalist but I do have huge respect for the Queen; she's dedicated virtually her entire life to duty. Her eldest & I share a birthday & apparently some similar views; I think he'll make an interesting King since in many ways he's not very conventional, but doubt he's likely to remain King for long.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(31-10-2021, 02:01 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I'm not a royalist but I do have huge respect for the Queen; she's dedicated virtually her entire life to duty. Her eldest & I share a birthday & apparently some similar views; I think he'll make an interesting King since in many ways he's not very conventional, but doubt he's likely to remain King for long.

If only we could have had Anne as monarch - she would have been brilliant!
I think Charles' problem will be a lack of mana, compared to his mother. Britain has an interesting time coming up, what with their covid epidemic still raging, the economic hit from brexit starting to bite, but with their leadership still imagining that their country has influence. The United Kingdom may not survive as it is, much longer. Independence is becoming tempting for Scots, and Northern Ireland is starting to realise that its future is with The Republic...not that Ireland's leaders want to have to deal with that.
(31-10-2021, 02:57 PM)Outsider Wrote:
(31-10-2021, 02:01 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I'm not a royalist but I do have huge respect for the Queen; she's dedicated virtually her entire life to duty. Her eldest & I share a birthday & apparently some similar views; I think he'll make an interesting King since in many ways he's not very conventional, but doubt he's likely to remain King for long.

If only we could have had Anne as monarch - she would have been brilliant!

She was very good at telling the press to 'naff off!' Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I have had the privilege of meeting Anne and have a high regard for her. As for Anne becoming monarch that does not seem a possibility.
It has long been my wish that Elizabeth would outlive Charles resulting in direct succession to William. That now seems to be less likely.
A smile is more contagious than a virus. Smile