Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are you a stickler for the use of correct English?
Does it annoy the hell out of you, when someone doesn't use punctuation? Or spell correctly? Doesn't use paragraphs? (a pet hate for me).

Or, what annoys you generally about people.

Tell me your gripes. Unload them all here. Smile
I know that people not using "its" and "it's" drives my Dad up the wall, but I'm willing to let it slide. The English lexicon isn't a fixed thing. It shifts around, going into all the nooks and crannies that it really shouldn't be getting into, and an errant apostrophe isn't going to stuff up the sentence too much.

However, the local library of all places posted something on Facebook that said "we're nearly their" and that ruined my day.
(29-10-2021, 12:40 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: I know that people not using "its" and "it's" drives my Dad up the wall, but I'm willing to let it slide. The English lexicon isn't a fixed thing. It shifts around, going into all the nooks and crannies that it really shouldn't be getting into, and an errant apostrophe isn't going to stuff up the sentence too much.

However, the local library of all places posted something on Facebook that said "we're nearly their" and that ruined my day.
That error from the library, sticks out like a sore thumb. Damn, that has now ruined my day too. Thanks. lol
People who can’t tell the difference between you’re, your, yore & yaw.
Quote:Doesn't use paragraphs?
Just saw on another forum, a post with 580 words and no paragraphing. 

Eyes glazed over.

It really was "TL/DR"!
People who use less instead of fewer really annoy me. They are becoming far too numerous.

On the other hand those who write lengthy passages without the use of paragraphs do not bother me that much, I just don't read them. Smile
A smile is more contagious than a virus. Smile
What is correct English?
(29-10-2021, 01:28 PM)Rumpelteazer Wrote: People who use less instead of fewer really annoy me. They are becoming far too numerous.

On the other hand those who write lengthy passages without the use of paragraphs do not bother me that much, I just don't read them. Smile
I don't read the very long paragraphs either.

I would be a 'less' girl, rather than a 'fewer' girl. And I'm old school, but alot of what I learned (or is it learnt?) has sifted through the holes in my head. I should be embarrassed I 'spose, but I'm not.
Interesting little factoid from the wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fewer_versus_less

"Fewer versus less is the debate revolving around grammatically using the use words "fewer" and "less" correctly. According to prescriptive grammar, "fewer" should be used (instead of "less") with nouns for countable objects and concepts (discretely quantifiable nouns, or count nouns). According to this rule, "less" should be used only with a grammatically singular noun (including mass nouns). However, descriptive grammarians (who describe language as actually used) point out that this rule does not correctly describe the most common usage of today or the past and in fact arose as an incorrect generalization of a personal preference expressed by a grammarian in 1770."
If you can count them, use fewer, if you can't use less. Simpler explanation.

Edited to add, the two words have different meanings. It is a fine difference, but one Wikipedia may have missed.
my two pet annoyances are no paragraphs and people that insist on doing multi page essays in text speak.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Txt spk annoys me just by existing.
(29-10-2021, 12:40 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: I know that people not using "its" and "it's" drives my Dad up the wall, but I'm willing to let it slide. The English lexicon isn't a fixed thing. It shifts around, going into all the nooks and crannies that it really shouldn't be getting into, and an errant apostrophe isn't going to stuff up the sentence too much.

I'm all for abolishing the "possessive" 's. Silly that nouns and names need it while pronouns don't. The "grocers apostrophe" Wink for plurals that annoys sticklers should then disappear!

The common "there"/"their" confusion makes me wince, too.
Autumn comes
I understand that language changes constantly, but there are several Americanisms which really annoy me - 'you got this' - NO you bleeding well haven't, you plonker.
And then there's that ad for whatever it is which harps on a about 'bake sale' & 'store bought cookies' - while using Aotearoa in the very same ad.

I'm also getting slightly fed up with the comments about someone's 'journey' - not everything is a journey!
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(31-10-2021, 02:07 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I understand that language changes constantly, but there are several Americanisms which really annoy me - 'you got this' - NO you bleeding well haven't, you plonker.
And then there's that ad for whatever it is which harps on a about 'bake sale' & 'store bought cookies' - while using Aotearoa in the very same ad.

I'm also getting slightly fed up with the comments about someone's 'journey' - not everything is a journey!
Halloween.

Yuk.
(31-10-2021, 02:11 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(31-10-2021, 02:07 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I understand that language changes constantly, but there are several Americanisms which really annoy me - 'you got this' - NO you bleeding well haven't, you plonker.

Halloween.

Yuk.
'Bout time we got rid of that ghastly tradition in this country. Double yuk yuk.

To be fair, I'd be quite happy to see Christmas abolished too, but then, I'm a bit of a grinch on this one.
Refute used instead of deny. Phased instead of fazed. Flout rather than flaunt.
Are you a stickler for the use of correct English?
Nahhhh not too stuffed its ok with me
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
I heard another pet hate tonight on the tele. When people say 'like'. It's like, you know, like this and that.

Ugh.
Then there's drive safe instead of safely - enough to give some of us the screaming ad dabs.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)