Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you watching?
Sounds interesting - I like David Tennant too. Just finished watching Rachel Griffiths in Dead Lucky.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Leave the World Behind is a good watch. Some very insightful social commentary which isn't surprising considering Barrack and Michelle Obama were executive producers.

The Outcast , movie on tvnz plus, 50s setting, family dynamics and ptsd. Nicely done.
(30-12-2023, 10:46 AM)harm_less Wrote: Leave the World Behind is a good watch. Some very insightful social commentary which isn't surprising considering Barrack and Michelle Obama were executive producers.

Thought it was rubbish.  Though concerning if you own a Tesla with autopilot.

Up to episode 3 of Masters of the Air on Apple TV. story of the 100th bomber wing of the 8th US army Airforce. From the creators of Band of Brothers and The Pacific. It is ok but just not as visceral was BoB.
(30-12-2023, 10:46 AM)harm_less Wrote: Leave the World Behind is a good watch. Some very insightful social commentary which isn't surprising considering Barrack and Michelle Obama were executive producers.

Lot of bad reviews on google for this, mostly copy and paste, seems like a targeted campaign
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
With Julia Roberts, Ethan Hawke and Kevin Bacon all of whom are actors with integrity and proven track record, it's hard to believe it's a bad movie.

Ethan Hawke especially is well known for his scrupulousness when it comes to movies he acts in.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(03-02-2024, 01:27 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

Thought it was rubbish.  Though concerning if you own a Tesla with autopilot.
That is typical of the conclusion drawn by those who miss the deeper message contained in the movie. The theme presented is that modern society is heavily dependent on technical controls of the systems that rule our lives and that enable our everyday life. When those systems are disrupted the veneer of civilised societal norms quickly disappears.

Teslas were used in that movie sequence not as a direct reference to the brand but as a generic item that becomes useless without IT connectivity, like cellphones, internet devices, utility control stystems. etc, etc.

(03-02-2024, 02:16 PM)king1 Wrote: Lot of bad reviews on google for this, mostly copy and paste, seems like a targeted campaign
Just another example of how everything is politically polarised in modern day America. The movie's executive producers include Michelle and Barrack Obama, both of whom are intelligent, articulate people but if you're on the other side of the political divide..... You join the dots.

(03-02-2024, 02:16 PM)king1 Wrote: Lot of bad reviews on google for this, mostly copy and paste, seems like a targeted campaign
(03-02-2024, 03:40 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(03-02-2024, 01:27 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Thought it was rubbish.  Though concerning if you own a Tesla with autopilot.
That is typical of the conclusion drawn by those who miss the deeper message contained in the movie. The theme presented is that modern society is heavily dependent on technical controls of the systems that rule our lives and that enable our everyday life. When those systems are disrupted the veneer of civilised societal norms quickly disappears.

Teslas were used in that movie sequence not as a direct reference to the brand but as a generic item that becomes useless without IT connectivity, like cellphones, internet devices, utility control stystems. etc, etc.

Just another example of how everything is politically polarised in modern day America. The movie's executive producers include Michelle and Barrack Obama, both of whom are intelligent, articulate people but if you're on the other side of the political divide..... You join the dots.

No I got the deeper meaning  - it was just a crap film.   Other films have shown a similar breakdown just done it in a better way.  Miracle Mile, Children of Men for example.  A film with a thin storyline and no end.

However if Ethan Hawke is someone you like then The Black Phone was very good.
Griselda - A good watch if you're into the Narco / Drug dealing theme

Trigger Point, on Tvnz plus. Scarily engrossing. Especially if you hate drones.

Tvnz plus have some very good dramas at the moment. Now, if they just had Virgin River so I could get my soap ration..
I've finished No escape, very tense & only in the final episode was all finally revealed - impossible to guess.

Also just finished River, mini series which was definitely very different. Both streaming on Three.

Also a movie (French, 1 hr 40 mins) which I thoroughly enjoyed, The Godmother, about a woman who works as a translator for police & one day discovers that the son of the lovely woman who works in the care home where her mother is, is involved in the drug deal he's about to be busted for, thanks to her work...streaming on one
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
watching Luther, one of those cop shows the brits do so well, starring Idris Elba.
Finished Trigger Point on tvnz streaming... Excellent.
Shōgun

The Gentleman (2024 series), this is hilarious... similar storyline to the 2019 movie,