Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obituary: Sir Michael Gambon
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39408742

"I just stick on a beard and play me."

Quote from Michael Gambon

RIP Michael Gambon
My wife particularly enjoys the Maigret series he made.
I do have other cameras!
Michael Gambon, who was Professor Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films has died at 82

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/s...es-aged-82

"Memorably called “The Great Gambon” by Ralph Richardson, and admired by generations of fellow actors, he excelled in plays by Harold Pinter, Samuel Beckett and Alan Ayckbourn. “I owe an enormous amount to Michael,” said Ayckbourn on Thursday. “He was a remarkable stage performer. It was a privilege to watch him at work on my stuff. You couldn’t really term it acting – more an act of spontaneous combustion.”

It was Ayckbourn who directed him in 1987 in Arthur Miller’s A View from the Bridge, which won Gambon an Olivier award for his performance as the conflicted Brooklyn longshoreman Eddie Carbone. Gambon also starred in Ayckbourn’s ambitious trilogy The Norman Conquests. Other key roles included the eponymous scientist in Brecht’s The Life of Galileo at the National Theatre in 1980, and as the restaurateur returning to visit a former lover in David Hare’s Skylight, which earned him a Tony award nomination on Broadway in the mid-90s.

After Gambon enjoyed an arthouse film success with Peter Greenaway’s The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover (1989), he proceeded to take roles in major movies such as Sleepy Hollow, The Insider and Gosford Park. Then, with a flowing beard and tassel hat, he portrayed Harry Potter’s professor Albus Dumbledore in several blockbusters, taking over the role from Richard Harris after his death in 2002. He lent his rich voice to many films, including as Uncle Pastuzo in both Paddington movies and as the narrator of the Coen brothers’ Hail, Caesar!"
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Too be honest, upon seeing the headlines I immediately thought of another English actor from around the era of end of The Avengers series.For the life of me I have racked da old grey matter, still can't put a name, Possibly the alzheimers  Blush