Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you watching?
Just started watching a series from years ago, How art made the world. Its a BBC doco which I really enjoyed at the time & I managed to get a copy on ebayau so will be watching that as & when i have time. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Taika's latest offering is excellent, and not what you're expecting as the series progresses.

(30-03-2022, 06:27 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Just started watching a series from years ago, How art made the world. Its a BBC doco which I really enjoyed at the time & I managed to get a copy on ebayau so will be watching that as & when i have time. Smile
Did you ever come across Denis Dutton's book on the way artmaking and evolution are inextricably connected?
(03-04-2022, 08:11 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(30-03-2022, 06:27 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Just started watching a series from years ago, How art made the world. Its a BBC doco which I really enjoyed at the time & I managed to get a copy on ebayau so will be watching that as & when i have time. Smile
Did you ever come across Denis Dutton's book on the way artmaking and evolution are inextricably connected?
I can't say that I have, no.

How art made the world covers some interesting stuff (including cave paintings & why they were done)  & may perhaps cover some of the same ideas as the Denis Dutton book.

Just discovered that the library has it so put it on hold. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I watched C'est la vie the other day, from the same team who did The Intouchables, The extraordinary & Samba. It was good, funny at times but I preferred The other movies somehow - although the Groom's jaunt in the balloon is hilarious.

https://www.orpheum.com.au/wp-cinema/mov...ST+LA+VIE/
I seem to be overdosing on Scifi at the moment - watching Haylo, Startrek, Debri and Andromeda on TVNZ On Demand. They are all running together in my mind. To much American militaryism.

Time Team - it's back ! The ex son in law spat the dummy after the first lockdown and ran away back to OZ. He had so much stuff on his server, got movies before they were released, whole series of TV programs, hundreds and hundreds of stuff I could access, and now all gone. He had TimeTeam, and I watched the whole lot - 20 years of it...loved it. Now they are back, some of the same people, doing the same stuff...and more techno. You can pay to support them, but they put it up on Youtube. 3 days as before, one program for each day. So Dig 2 is up now.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
It is interesting to note the underlying narratives in the science fiction from the various national sources. It speaks to some kind of cultural psyche perhaps. Definitely a military tone to most American SF, from Storm Troopers to Galactica, certainly the kind that makes it to the screen.

But if you read it instead you can pick up different perspectives, different agendas. A lot of 'cries for freedom' and pokes at culturally based domination.

I quite like Australian SF, it does seem to be a little more 'out there', with a focus on the natural world turning a bit unnatural, and British, which has an unpleasant habit of being rather prescient. Though I really do hope Peter F Hamilton doesn't follow suit, his zombies are more terrifying than any the American screenwriters can come up with...
I prefer to watch British, or European stuff, Euro stuff with subtiles these days, there is some good stuff. Same with books, I prefer, almost exclusively, British authors. American stuff is just so gung ho, the comedy just slapstick, the women beautiful, and the men (apparently) handsome. The rest of the world is more human, the characters people you meet in the street....you probably know people very much like them.

But I love Space Opera.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
I loved the Expanse books, and was not disappointed by the tv series. In spite of its blood and gore. The science was intriguing...
Just watched Foundation on Apple TV and loved it - haven't read the books so cant tell if it follows closely. Also watching For All Mankind also on Apple - an alternate history series of what might have happened if the Soviets got to the moon first and if the space race never stopped.
(12-04-2022, 09:22 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Just watched Foundation on Apple TV and loved it  - haven't read the books so cant tell if it follows closely.  Also watching For All Mankind also on Apple - an alternate history series of what might have happened if the Soviets got to the moon first and if the space race never stopped.
yes, they were both good...  have you had a look at Raised by Wolves?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(12-04-2022, 10:38 PM)king1 Wrote:
(12-04-2022, 09:22 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Just watched Foundation on Apple TV and loved it  - haven't read the books so cant tell if it follows closely.  Also watching For All Mankind also on Apple - an alternate history series of what might have happened if the Soviets got to the moon first and if the space race never stopped.
yes, they were both good...  have you had a look at Raised by Wolves?
Not yet but is on the list.  Just signed up to Amazon as well so looking forward to The Boys, The Expanse, The  Man in the High Castle,  Reacher,   Jack Ryan.  Will watch the film Without Remorse but know I will have an issue with a black John Kelly/Clark.
more you might like in the scifi, alt reality ...
American Gods
Counterpart
Altered Carbon
12 Monkeys

and if you're into pirate flicks, Black Sails is excellent...

A Discovery of Witches

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2177461/

I'm watching Your honour because it has Bryan Cranston & an unusual plot line.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio...eaking-bad
Ohhhhhhhh be still my heart! A new Sam Elliot western series...

Life is good.
Just finished watching the 2021 version of The Stand on Amazon and it was excellent - Laws yes! Very, very close to the book and a good cast including Alexander Sarsgaard as Randle Flagg and Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigale.

Have also finished the Jack Ryan series which was also pretty good.

Watched Without Remorse and like the Bourne films only really loosely based on the book so if you were expecting anything like the very excellent novel (one of Tom Clancy's best) then you will be disappointed. Also you will need to deal with a black John Kelly aka John Clark. Did have a nice segway at the end into a possible TV series or film about the anti terror sqaud Rainbow - I.e. Rainbow Six - another excellent Tom Clancy novel.

If you're into Star Trek then Picard is not bad and for a laugh Star Trek Lower Decks is also very funny only because it pokes fun at many Trek tropes.
(25-04-2022, 08:27 PM)king1 Wrote: A Discovery of Witches
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2177461/

The books were amazingly good. Well worth the reading..

She knows her history, and writes like an angel.
What could be better than a new Star Trek series, not far away...

(06-05-2022, 10:22 PM)king1 Wrote: What could be better than a new Star Trek series, not far away...

Let's just hope it is better tha Discovery because by series 3 it was truly getting dire.

Even Picard has its moments - an entire season dedicated to something that would have been  double episode on TNG.