Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you watching?
(04-01-2022, 10:11 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(04-01-2022, 04:21 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Years & years mini series  on Prime tonight ( was supposed to be last week but they got it mucked up) sci fi which is set in the near future & has Emma Thompson as a brutal, ruthless leader.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/reviews/year...203243714/
Having just watched it on Prime it looks good but it appears they've decided to give episode 1 a miss and go straight into #2, unless it played earlier elsewhere. Never mind I'll grab the whole series and watch at our leisure.
I saw that - how annoying, to do that. Unless they sneaked it on some night at 3am & didn't bother to tell anyone.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Watched the last two episodes of 26 of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) - the 1969/70 series.

The episodes on the dvds aren't in broadcast order for some reason, was a bit tricky working out which I'd already watched.

A light-hearted series with the lovely saturated colour that they seemed to achieve back then; '60s cars; London with little traffic about and a lot of older buildings depicted - office blocks, warehouses, the docklands etc - which I bet have almost all been replaced now.

Enjoyable, will watch again Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_an...(Deceased)
(09-01-2022, 04:23 PM)Bracken Wrote: Watched the last two episodes of 26 of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) - the 1969/70 series.

The episodes on the dvds aren't in broadcast order for some reason, was a bit tricky working out which I'd already watched.

A light-hearted series with the lovely saturated colour that they seemed to achieve back then; '60s cars; London with little traffic about and a lot of older buildings depicted - office blocks, warehouses, the docklands etc - which I bet have almost all been replaced now.

Enjoyable, will watch again Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_an...(Deceased)
Used to love the white 4 door Vauxhall Randall used to drive in the series. My fav at the time was the Ford Granada used in The Sweeney Show starring the late John Thaw.
Saw an item about a new movie about Neville Chamberlain, with Jeremy Irons which might be interesting. Bloody Jeremy Irons - HOW does he get better looking as he ages, dammit?!

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/de...remy-irons
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Just starting on the series Hazell, circa 78/79, starring Nicholas Ball bout a private detective, whose bench mark was a Triumph Stag.
The Endless Summer (1966) classic surfing movie; have watched it at least half a dozen times over the years. 

Light-hearted, fun movie, surfing scenery around the world.

It's on YT; I'm going to obtain a DVD copy for myself.
Never a surfer, so never watched Endless Summer, but did ride motorcycles, so On Any Sunday was the most influential movie, along with Easy Rider, for my life. Watching Mert Lawwill slide his XR750 around the dirttrack set the scene for the rest of my life.
Yay, finally. Ozark - series 4 has started streaming on Netflix. Been waiting on this for sooooo long. Very dark, but very good.
Today, on YT: The Jackpot, starring James Stewart and Barbara Hale, 1950; with a young Natalie Wood, and Tommy Rettig (later in Lassie)

and

The Amorous Prawn,  pleasantly amusing film with many well-known faces including Ian Carmichael, Joan Greenwood, Cecil Parker, Dennis Price, Liz Fraser, Derek Nimmo;
directed by Anthony Kimmins who also directed Mr. Denning Drives North, and Aunt Clara.
Just watched '60's classic School For Scoundrels. starring Ian Carmichael, a dastardly Terry Thomas 8 the delightful Alastair Sim.
Storyline about being one up over rivals. Done with the humor that only the British can do.
One of my favourite older movies is The lavender hill mob, starring Alec Guiness.
Love the idea of a retiring bank clerk managing to pull off a robbery. Smile
Manifest...
(24-01-2022, 05:41 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Manifest...
I eventually gave up on that, they mucked it about so much - & then there were those eyebrows of the lead female which were all I could see after a while

Probably because I kept thinking of the remark someone unkindly made about Joan Crawford's eyebrows, that 'they were like little furry caterpillars' - which sort of ruined it for me.
There is a rave review in The Guardian of The Responder. Anyone know if it is streaming in Aotearoa?
(25-01-2022, 06:45 PM)Olive Wrote: There is a rave review in The Guardian of The Responder.  Anyone know if it is streaming in Aotearoa?
I don't know, but it does look good. He was on the Graham Norton show the other week talking about it.
It'll probably be on sky or something.
'20 movie Emperor set just prior to the American Civil war, based on Shields Green exploits. Veteran actor Bruce Derns also stars in it. Watched some earlier this afternoon, will finish it later tonight.
Wonderful movie, was just by chance we decided to watch same. Dern's part slotted in particularly well.
Absolute Power with Clint Eastwood, an the late  E G Marshall an Gene Hackman.
Good watch on a lazy Sunday
I really enjoyed The Water Diviner with Russell Crowe. Don't usually like war films, especially Gallipoli - had family there - but this was a good one.
Checked out American Factory, a Netflix doco. Interesting expose of a failed Chevy plant in Ohio, US that was purchased by a Chinese glass manufacturer. The contrast between US unionised labour and state supported Chinese workplace doctrines is eye opening.