Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A selection of cameras, in no particular order.
(31-08-2023, 01:52 PM)SueDonim Wrote: That would have been top of the line when you bought it but is "only" 10.2mp. My first DSLR was a Canon 350D in about 2005 and I think was 8mp. My current 90D is 32mp which was a huge step up form the 18mp 700D that I also still use. Back in the day the camera was just a vehicle for the lens and film and you could go a long way with old cameras and good lenses. Today the size and quality of the sensor is as important as the lens and older digital cameras become outdated very quickly as technology moves forward. The quality of the camera doesn't go backwards, but the advances in new technology mean that active digital photographers always want more and there's little demand for old cameras. Even the DSLR has now been pretty much superseded, although I plan to continue with mine for a long time yet.

I had a Canon 80D which I sold as things were getting a bit heavy. Gave some of my gear to son for his 700D and bought a Canon G1X mkiii which had the same 24MP sensor that the 80D had.  Love the little G1X MKiii. I had the first G1X in 2012 and loved that dearly. Great lens

Only lasted 4 months and missed the DSLR so much, I bought a 90D Love it to bits but unfortunately I am physically back to not the fittest and think I should sell it. Bugger!!! Camera gear has cost me a bit over the years but, what the heck. I reckoned that it's only the kids inheritance I am spending so don't regret buying it, if only for a couple+ years use. Hopefully when I get my new hip I may get out a bit more.  Big Grin Big Grin
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
This sensor may be rated in semi-pixels, it is interesting and budget friendly Dollar-wise, but a bit unfriendly Time-wise. Not very portable either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qETedzsFIE
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(31-08-2023, 02:13 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(31-08-2023, 01:52 PM)SueDonim Wrote: That would have been top of the line when you bought it but is "only" 10.2mp. My first DSLR was a Canon 350D in about 2005 and I think was 8mp. My current 90D is 32mp which was a huge step up form the 18mp 700D that I also still use. Back in the day the camera was just a vehicle for the lens and film and you could go a long way with old cameras and good lenses. Today the size and quality of the sensor is as important as the lens and older digital cameras become outdated very quickly as technology moves forward. The quality of the camera doesn't go backwards, but the advances in new technology mean that active digital photographers always want more and there's little demand for old cameras. Even the DSLR has now been pretty much superseded, although I plan to continue with mine for a long time yet.

I use a Canon 60D, which is 18mp, and I have had large prints made from it, which have plenty of detail. To my mind, a lot of the "improvements" made to camera technology is to enourage churn...which means that those who buy second hand have good deals available. I haven't bothered with mirrorless cameras. The original ones had no viewfinders, and I find the back screen a pain to use without reading glasses. The more modern ones with EVFs are too expensive.

I've had some very good second hand deals over the years. I'm resigned to having to go to mirrorless one day, but not yet for a long time. There's something about an SLR that feels "right". I always use the viewfinder, never the back screen. Mainly because holding it out from the body to see the screen would be instant camera shake.

(31-08-2023, 02:51 PM)Kenj Wrote:

I had a Canon 80D which I sold as things were getting a bit heavy. Gave some of my gear to son for his 700D and bought a Canon G1X mkiii which had the same 24MP sensor that the 80D had.  Love the little G1X MKiii. I had the first G1X in 2012 and loved that dearly. Great lens

Only lasted 4 months and missed the DSLR so much, I bought a 90D Love it to bits but unfortunately I am physically back to not the fittest and think I should sell it. Bugger!!! Camera gear has cost me a bit over the years but, what the heck. I reckoned that it's only the kids inheritance I am spending so don't regret buying it, if only for a couple+ years use. Hopefully when I get my new hip I may get out a bit more.  Big Grin Big Grin

if the 90D is too heavy that's something that hard to avoid, but one thing to consider is that the higher level of pixels means you can crop a lot, which means getting away with shorter (and potentially lighter) lenses than might be necessary for the same photo from a camera with fewer pixels. A lot would be up to what you photograph.

(31-08-2023, 05:15 PM)R2x1 Wrote: This sensor may be rated in semi-pixels, it is interesting and budget friendly Dollar-wise, but a bit unfriendly Time-wise. Not very portable either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qETedzsFIE

That was amazing! Thank you.
Not the camera that is too heavy. It's the bag with the lenses. I do try to anticipate what lens I would need to use and get it wrong. Grrr! Then, sometimes there is the tripod Sad Then the flash, maybe, spare battery, filters, Uncle Tom Cobbley et al.

But when I think back to when I was doing weddings using film with 35mm and medium format cameras in the 80's and 90's, these modern ones are pretty light,
(01-09-2023, 06:17 PM)Kenj Wrote: Not the camera that is too heavy. It's the bag with the lenses. I do try to anticipate what lens I would need to use and get it wrong. Grrr! Then, sometimes there is the tripod Sad  Then the flash, maybe, spare battery, filters, Uncle Tom Cobbley et al.

But when I think back to when I was doing weddings using film with 35mm and medium format cameras in the 80's and 90's, these modern ones are pretty light,

I'm mainly out shooting nature these days. For short walks I have a shoulder bag converted to a waist bag that fits the basics (batteries, wallet phone and a small lens). For bigger adventures I add a clamshell backpack that works well but is heavy enough to be annoying. Camera-wise I'm used to the weight around my neck and actually appreciate the weight of the big lens (Canon 100-400mm) as it helps to counter camera shake. I now mainly use that lens on the 90D for which I don't yet have a battery grip. The single battery lasts for ages so I haven't needed the extra one that the grip offers, but after being used to the battery grip on the 700D I'm missing the balance it provides for the big lens. For what I do I don't need flashes and the only filter is CPL which stays on all the time. Tripods are something I should use more, but generally get away with going without.
(09-09-2023, 11:31 AM)SueDonim Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 06:17 PM)Kenj Wrote: Not the camera that is too heavy. It's the bag with the lenses. I do try to anticipate what lens I would need to use and get it wrong. Grrr! Then, sometimes there is the tripod Sad  Then the flash, maybe, spare battery, filters, Uncle Tom Cobbley et al.

I'm mainly out shooting nature these days. For short walks I have a shoulder bag converted to a waist bag that fits the basics (batteries, wallet phone and a small lens). For bigger adventures I add a clamshell backpack that works well but is heavy enough to be annoying. Camera-wise I'm used to the weight around my neck and actually appreciate the weight of the big lens (Canon 100-400mm) as it helps to counter camera shake. I now mainly use that lens on the 90D for which I don't yet have a battery grip. The single battery lasts for ages so I haven't needed the extra one that the grip offers, but after being used to the battery grip on the 700D I'm missing the balance it provides for the big lens. For what I do I don't need flashes and the only filter is CPL which stays on all the time. Tripods are something I should use more, but generally get away with going without.

Hate tripods, necessary evil though..... however, 81 in a few weeks and even my walking stick is getting heavy. Big Grin Big Grin Tongue