Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Licking the bowl
You've mixed up the ingredients and chucked your baking in the oven.

Who here gets out the scraper or spoon and helps themselves whatever is left in the mixing bowl? I'm sure some don't (eww, uncooked things!), but quite often it tastes better than whatever disaster you'll eventually pull out of the oven.

As a kid (and even now), I was always hanging around the kitchen when Mum was doing some baking. Good times.
I was always allowed to clean up the bowl, and lick the spoons and things too. Indeed, good times, and great memories of childhood.

My Mum used to make a milk tart "Melktert", which is a traditional South African sweet tart, and it was my favourite 'clean up'.
A friend of mine married a South African. Apparently, one of the best parts of visiting her parents was the melktert.

Should probably have a go at making it, if not for a chance to lick the bowl clean!
(07-11-2021, 03:39 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: A friend of mine married a South African. Apparently, one of the best parts of visiting her parents was the melktert.

Should probably have a go at making it, if not for a chance to lick the bowl clean!
I've still got Mums recipe for it, which will be packed away, but wouldn't be hard to find.

I remember that it had alot of milk in it....about 4 cups or so. Not a difficult thing to make actually. It's all cooked in a pot on the stove, then added to the pastry which is baked first in the oven.
Mum's Melktert Recipe

Pastry:
125g butter
1/2 C sugar
1 egg
2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
Mix butter and sugar until nice and creamy. Beat in the egg.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix into a stiff dough...
Press into one or two round cake pie dishes and bake at 180°C until light brown.
Filling
4 1/2 C milk
2 1/2 Tbs corn flour
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
Pinch of salt
2 1/2 Tbs flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 heaped spoon of butter
Method
Pour milk into a saucepan and bring the milk to a boil.
Grab a bowl and beat in the eggs and then sugar, flour, corn flour, salt.
Pour the milk mixture into the bowl and mix until all combined.
Pour the mixture back into the sauce pan on medium heat and stir until the mixture thickens.
Add butter and vanilla essence.
Once you can draw a line in the mk mixture and it stays, it's ready to be poured into the pastry shell.
Once cooled down place in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Sprinkle a good amount of cinnamon.