Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trade Me Recipe Dump
Will try and dump a load of recipes from the Trade Me forum before it vanishes, but to hold you over, here's one from hooksie60

Chocolate Cake
==========
"This recipe has been running on the board for years so it must be good 
I make this once a week makes a small roast pan size cake."

3.5 c flour
3.5 c sugar
3 t/s Baking powder
1.5 c cocoa
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
3 t/s baking soda
1 t/s salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of boiling water (added at end)

Put all ingredients (except for the water) in a large bowl mix well to a batter. add boiling water and mix till smooth bake in the over at 160 for 1hr. you can split the mix and make two smaller cakes or make 1 smaller cake and put the rest into muffin tins the choice is completely up to you. This is an excellent cake if you have a large family or just want to impress people. gets moister by the day so stays nice and fresh very similar to mud cake.
Wait, what, I got to have a signature?
Oringinally posted by autumnwinds, On my to-do list some day.

Okay folks, I've been trialling a couple of Ginger Turkish Delight recipes, for those who don't like the rosewater or other florally flavours. I have a friend who makes it, but she won't part with the recipe, so I've trialled two, and this is the best, adapted from a recipe by Elizabeth Labau.

It's made the traditional way, with a long cook-time, and I'm thinking I might try it in the crockpot next time.... But it is from a traditional recipe, so be patient, it works!

GINGER Turkish Delight Recipe - Yield: approx. 1 kg (32 Servings)
An adaptation of Elizabeth Labau’s recipe by Autumnwinds
Ingredients
• 4 cups sugar
• 4 1/2 cups water (divided)
• Large piece of fresh ginger root (size of one large thumb)
• 2 teaspoons. lemon juice
• 1 1/4 cups cornflour
• 1 teaspoon. cream of tartar
• 2 Tablespoons ginger syrup (from jar of ginger in syrup)**
• 1 Tablespoon preserved or crystallized ginger *cut to taste – I prefer tiny matchstick thick chunks, some might like it minced
• 2 drops yellow food colouring (if desired)
• 1 cup icing sugar

Method:
1. Have all the ingredients ready on the bench, and prepare a 9x9 pan by lining it with aluminium foil. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Put sugar, lemon juice, and 1 1/2 cups of the water in a medium pot over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves, then bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Do not stir, but brush down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming, and insert a candy thermometer. Let the sugar mixture continue to boil, without stirring, until it reaches 240 F on the candy thermometer. Once the sugar syrup is around 225 F, begin to prepare the next ingredients. prepared.
4. Place the remaining 3 cups of water in another, slightly larger, pot, add the cornflour and cream of tartar, then whisk until the cornflour powder dissolves and there are no lumps.
5. Put the second pot over medium heat, and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring or whisking constantly. The mixture will become thick and pasty.
6. Once the sugar syrup is at 115 C / 240 F, remove the pot from the heat. Slowly, carefully, pour it into the cornflour mixture, whisking until it is fully incorporated.
7. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, whisking it every 8 to 10 minutes, for about an hour, until the candy has turned a light golden-yellow colour and is very thick and gluey. At about 45 minutes, and using a garlic press, squeeze the juice of the ginger root into the mixture.
8. After an hour, remove from the heat and stir in the food colouring, the 2 Tablespoons of ginger syrup, and the tiny cubes of preserved or crystallized ginger.
Simmer a couple of minutes, then pour the candy into the prepared pan and allow it to set, uncovered, overnight.
9. The next day, slide the candy, foil side down, from the pan onto the bench, using the foil to assist. Dust your work area with the icing sugar, and flip the candy over, onto this.
10. Remove the foil from the back and dust the top with the sugar. Use an oiled chef’s knife (or large broad knife) to cut the Turkish Delight into small squares. Dust each side of the square with powdered sugar to prevent stickiness.
11. NOTE: Turkish Delight is best soon after it is made. It doesn’t keep very long, but if you want to keeping it, store it in an airtight container with waxed paper between the layers, and dust the sides with icing sugar again before serving. Enjoy!

** Unusually for me, I had no preserved ginger in syrup, so cheated by using some Bunderim Ginger syrup, and that was fine.

Enjoy!
(And I guess we'll find out who are the other patient confectioners by those who admit to trying it...... and someone is going to get some I've made, anyway.....)

Another of autumnwinds recipes that I have made.
Gingernut truffles
* 250g gingernut biscuits
* 50g unsalted butter
* ¼ cup brown sugar
* ¼ cup condensed milk
* ¼ cup desiccated coconut
* ¼ cup finely chopped crystallised ginger
* extra desiccated coconut to roll truffles in
* Method:
* 1. Crush gingernut biscuits. A food processor is best, otherwise between two sheets of greaseproof paper with a rolling pin.
* 2. Put butter, brown sugar and condensed milk in a saucepan. Heat gently until melted and stir over heat a further two minutes.
* 3. Add gingernuts, coconut and crystallised ginger.
* 4. Take teaspoon-sized dollops of mixture and shape into balls. Roll in extra coconut.
* 5. These are fine stored in the fridge, but will last longer in the freezer (and are possibly even more delicious straight from the freezer. Originally posted by lindylambchops1 (43 ) 12:07 pm, Thu 30

They are delicious, easy and only take a short time to make....
As promised, and after battling some over-zealous web hosters, I have dumped a copy of the Trade Me Recipes forum here for safekeeping. There's more than enough recipes for a cookbook (or three)! Definitely needs a search function, so I'll look into that in due course Smile

http://tmforums.orgfree.com/recipes/

Happy cooking/baking/roasting/boiling/broiling/etc!
Wow.

That's a lot of recipes you have saved.

Thanks, Wholetruth.
Wow Wholetruth ... that is so awesome that you have managed to capture so many of the recipe threads. There have been so many that I've thought "must go back to that one and try it" ... and now I can! Thank you so much!
Wholetruth your a legend for saving the recipes! Thank you
Thanks for doing this wholetruth!
You are a wonderful. Thank you for your hard work ?
wholetruth Wrote:As promised, and after battling some over-zealous web hosters, I have dumped a copy of the Trade Me Recipes forum here for safekeeping. There's more than enough recipes for a cookbook (or three)! Definitely needs a search function, so I'll look into that in due course Smile

http://tmforums.orgfree.com/recipes/

Happy cooking/baking/roasting/boiling/broiling/etc!

For some reason I cannot get into this site to see your recipes, which by the way is very kind of you to go to so much trouble for us all
Hi Cottagerose,

Hmm, seems to be working fine for me. Does anything show when you go to http://tmforums.orgfree.com/recipes/ ?

You should see a page with the header "Trade Me Recipes" and a button, followed shorty after by a big table of recipe threads.
Works for me and the search feature is great. Well done and thanks :-)
THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN TERMINATED for terms infringement.
This is what came up when trying to access the site.
(10-11-2021, 08:24 PM)emmygee Wrote: THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN TERMINATED for terms infringement.
This is what came up when trying to access the site.
I believe wholetruth knows about this, hasn't been accessible for a couple of weeks.  I imagine the data is still available but just needs to find a willing host.  At a guess i'd say trademe complained...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
here's where it was discussed
https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?tid=522
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Thank you king1.