Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The fort under the table
When we were kids we use to build these on wet days, with blankets and sheets and cushions and our favourite comfort beasts. A book or two, life giving sustenance, and a good companion or two.

Sometimes I wonder if we adults should build one of these for ourselves. Or maybe, just maybe, our message boards are our version. In which case we should bring brooms. To poke out of the drapery and repel unfriendly boarders.
My forts invariably collapsed - too many precarious cushions taking on load-bearing responsibilities. Suddenly the peaceful solitude of Fort Snooze would become a frantic escape. No Ted left behind. Except for Bearsy, he was big enough to fend for himself.

We'll take turns to stand guard. You can do the first shift.
No worries. I have extra brooms.
My children did that with the sofa cushions and sheets, but in my day (1950s UK) we used sheets over my mum's old wooden clothes horse - the ones that open into three 'walls'. I wonder what my nearly one-year old granddaughter will use? She's already crawling into cupboards and tight spaces (under the coffee table). Must be a primal instinct to hide away - from predators/mum and dad?
I saw a cartoon once with one of these made out of several bright patterned quilts over a turned leg table, full of lovely squishy cushions. It was occupied by two giggling old ladies offering a third a hand to squeeze in because her hands were full of wine glasses and two bottles. My bff sent it to me via farcebook because she thought it summed up our Friday afternoons rather well.

We all need a comfort shelter away from the madding crowds, and yet here we are, at least some of us, quite looking forward to getting back out, albeit briefly, to mainstreet busyness...
Do kids today even know how to build forts or would they have to you tube it
for step by step instructions
Well, I had to be taught by my Dad, so I guess we all learn from somewhere, just like everything else about being human...

Mind you, it isn't just people who like forts. So do cats, and bears...