Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Old Friends"
Thnk TM deleted this  option bout 5 years past

https://natlib.govt.nz/blog/posts/lookin...ld-friends
Smile
Trademe never put the effort in to make it a place to revisit. Once facebook took off and trademe failed to respond it was just a matter of time before it wasn't worth the bandwidth and disk space.
Once Trade-me worked out there was no finacial gain from running Old Friends
they pulled it. More or less about the time Sam sold out.
I would love to put something like this together and already hold oldfriendz.co.nz

I am not a web developer so would need to find someone with the right skills to code something up.
If we get enough donations, this might be something we can explore, might need adverts to fund it.
(08-11-2021, 01:30 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I would love to put something like this together and already hold oldfriendz.co.nz

I am not a web developer so would need to find someone with the right skills to code something up.
If we get enough donations, this might be something we can explore, might need adverts to fund it.
This is such a great idea, and will be an asset to tmmb.

Would it be worth making a post on TM...maybe in the computer section? to see if you can get a web developer?
There is still a gap in the market for a replacement for Old Friends and also Friends Reunited for those with a UK background. Both dropped out, thinking that Farcebook would fill the gap, but it doesn't.

The gap being that Facebook etc., only use 'current' names, but if searching for a female school-friend for example, unless you know their current surname, it is next to impossible.

Searching via a school or work place often worked well.

It needs to be a stand alone site.
Now They have Pulled out The Popular Message Boards which Provideed lots of Enjoyment for lots of members.
(24-11-2021, 09:47 AM)Ferrit47 Wrote: Now They have Pulled out The Popular Message Boards which Provideed lots of Enjoyment for lots of members.
Are you going through the grieving process ferrit?

I do still miss it (the people) , but I've also moved on from it.
(14-11-2021, 11:28 AM)Twiggy Wrote: There is still a gap in the market for a replacement for Old Friends and also Friends Reunited for those with a UK background. Both dropped out, thinking that Farcebook would fill the gap, but it doesn't.

The gap being that Facebook etc., only use 'current' names, but if searching for a female school-friend for example, unless you know their current surname, it is next to impossible. 

Searching via a school or work place often worked well.

It needs to be a stand alone site.

I'm on Facebook under my married name but with my maiden name in brackets after it and people find me alright. Why does it have to be 'standalone'? I have 2 very successful Facebook groups - one for my high school and one for my first workplace, where I worked for 10 years before coming to NZ. Several hundred people in each one and many that I knew a long time ago.