Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A smartphone mainly for QR codes...
What would your recommendations be for a smartphone, that I can use to text, and for scanning the QR code ??

I don't want or need one for computer use, as I'm happy with my laptop.

Something basic for this old girl. Big Grin 

Thanks.
We enquired at the Vodafone shop about this last week - the saleslady said that the most basic phone they had which would read the codes was a Samsung A02s
I do have other cameras!
(08-11-2021, 02:48 PM)Praktica Wrote: We enquired at the Vodafone shop about this last week - the saleslady said that the most basic phone they had which would read the codes was a Samsung A02s
Thank you for that. I will check it out online.

I had thought about going into our vodafone retailer here, but honestly, I don't trust them, and they confuse me with too much information.
(08-11-2021, 02:51 PM)crafters_corner Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 02:48 PM)Praktica Wrote: We enquired at the Vodafone shop about this last week - the saleslady said that the most basic phone they had which would read the codes was a Samsung A02s
Thank you for that. I will check it out online.

I had thought about going into our vodafone retailer here, but honestly, I don't trust them, and they confuse me with too much information.
Harvey Norman had the A03s - the next model - on special last week, for $217. The A02s at Vodafone was $199.
I do have other cameras!
I've always been partial to Motorola, currently have a G7, but they have some decent phones for 200-250ish.

If you want one with a super simple interface the Samsungs have an easy mode that hides a lot of the rubbish you don't need...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(08-11-2021, 02:57 PM)king1 Wrote: I've always been partial to Motorola, currently have a G7, but they have some decent phones for 200-250ish.

If you want one with a super simple interface the Samsungs have an easy mode that hides a lot of the rubbish you don't need...
My beef with smartphones is the size...but my wife is starting to feel being able to scan in rather than sign in would be good...and then there are vaccine passports to consider.
I do have other cameras!
I was highly impressed with myself this week. My ancient Samsung Note 3 decided to drop the camera function just as I was getting adept at scanning QR codes into my Rippl app. So, I googled, and found a fix and bingo- camera screen working again.

I am adding Technology Wizard to my CV on the strength of that.

I love my Note 3. It has a big enough screen for my supermyopic eyes, and I can key the on screen keyboard with only occasional typos. And it holds a lot of photos. It was expensive when I bought it, but with only one battery replacement, it has proved a very reliable investment.
Most of even the cheap smartphones should be quite capable of running the Covid app I would have thought. Spend a couple hundred at least anyway otherwise the experience wont be great. You might find if you buy a VERY cheap phone that with time you'll want to be able to do more with it and it's too low spec to be easily useable.

Worth noting;

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the cheap price has been forgotten."
(09-11-2021, 07:39 AM)Me+Me Wrote: Most of even the cheap smartphones should be quite capable of running the Covid app I would have thought.  Spend a couple hundred at least anyway otherwise the experience wont be great.  You might find if you buy a VERY cheap phone that with time you'll want to be able to do more with it and it's too low spec to be easily useable.

Worth noting; 

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the cheap price has been forgotten."
At Vodafone they didn't suggest any of their own branded phones. Some Chinese made phones can't access the Google store, where the app is found.
I do have other cameras!
(09-11-2021, 07:44 AM)Praktica Wrote:
(09-11-2021, 07:39 AM)Me+Me Wrote: Most of even the cheap smartphones should be quite capable of running the Covid app I would have thought.  Spend a couple hundred at least anyway otherwise the experience wont be great.  You might find if you buy a VERY cheap phone that with time you'll want to be able to do more with it and it's too low spec to be easily useable.

Worth noting; 

At Vodafone they didn't suggest any of their own branded phones. Some Chinese made phones can't access the Google store, where the app is found.
"Some Chinese made phones can't access the Google store, where the app is found."
You're referring to Huawai.
Thanks everyone.

Do you have to use the phone for internet, to get an APP ?? Is the covid app free?
(09-11-2021, 03:26 PM)crafters_corner Wrote: Thanks everyone.

Do you have to use the phone for internet, to get an APP ?? Is the covid app free?
you just need internet to download the app, after that I don't think it's needed
even then the internet could be from your home wifi
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup

What my son does with his smartphone, is keep mobile data turned off, and connect only when he's at home, through his home router.
I do have other cameras!

The  Covid app is not any kind of commercial enterprise it's produced by the NZ Govt.  So yeah it's free.  You'll need an internet connection on the phone of some sort to download it.  

Are you unfamiliar with smartphones ?
I ask because you may need to learn the difference between and DATA and a WIFI connection and how to access them and when you should use one or    the other.
Huawei y5 $160, does everything I need and a great camera.
(09-11-2021, 06:39 PM)Me+Me Wrote:

The  Covid app is not any kind of commercial enterprise it's produced by the NZ Govt.  So yeah it's free.  You'll need an internet connection on the phone of some sort to download it.  

I ask because you may need to learn the difference between and DATA and a WIFI connection and how to access them and when you should use one or    the other.

I'm unfamiliar with Smartphones and don't think it's worth getting one just to scan a couple of codes each week. Even if you use the WiFi connection at home to get the Covid app, don't you have to pay for a monthly plan on the phone? So as well as the cost of the phone, I'd also have to pay so much a month to use it for scanning the QR codes - is that right?
I also only use my phone for emergency possibilities when out on the scoot,  a very few texts, and scanning these days, no mobile data, just wifi at home to keep costs down. A single ten dollar spark prepaid voucher is more than I need for a year of use, though that may change once landlines go. I downloaded the Rippl app for QR scanning, it is lighter than the Health Dept one and still has the important bits. And it is very simple to use.
(08-11-2021, 02:40 PM)crafters_corner Wrote: What would your recommendations be for a smartphone, that I can use to text, and for scanning the QR code ??

I don't want or need one for computer use, as I'm happy with my laptop.

Something basic for this old girl. Big Grin 

Thanks.

If you also want to be able to use the phone to text you will need to consider which company to go with before purchasing a phone as many phones are locked to a specific one. I am with 2 degrees and their cheapest is $10 a month.
(14-11-2021, 07:56 AM)Outsider Wrote:
(09-11-2021, 06:39 PM)Me+Me Wrote: The  Covid app is not any kind of commercial enterprise it's produced by the NZ Govt.  So yeah it's free.  You'll need an internet connection on the phone of some sort to download it.  

I'm unfamiliar with Smartphones and don't think it's worth getting one just to scan a couple of codes each week. Even if you use the WiFi connection at home to get the Covid app, don't you have to pay for a monthly plan on the phone? So as well as the cost of the phone, I'd also have to pay so much a month to use it for scanning the QR codes - is that right?
Your monthly plan can be as low as $9 on skinny mobile.
Yes you'd have to pay the cost of the phone, (buy one lol).
NO NO NO any use of the App is FREE.  It does NOT require any kind of connection to scan codes......The Govt wants people to scan codes and they have for that reason NOT made it so you have to pay to do that.  That would be counter productive.

(14-11-2021, 07:13 AM)captaingraham Wrote: Huawei y5 $160, does everything I need and a great camera.
Huawei may not be able to access Google play store and thus not be able to download the QR Covid app.
(14-11-2021, 07:56 AM)Outsider Wrote:
(09-11-2021, 06:39 PM)Me+Me Wrote: The  Covid app is not any kind of commercial enterprise it's produced by the NZ Govt.  So yeah it's free.  You'll need an internet connection on the phone of some sort to download it.  

Just keep using prepay.
I do have other cameras!