Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
slow hard drive
i hate working on machines with mechanical drives now, they are soooo slow...  i find the first thing i do regardless of the problem, is look for signs that its failing, so i can talk owner into a ssd upgrade Rolleyes
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Remember the jump from 5400RPM to 7200RPM? Massive speed upgrade!

You'd flick through the PC mags and they'd have articles about 10000RPM drives being in development and it would be too much for a your little brain to cope with - "woah, that'd be like instant."

And then SSD came along and everything changed Smile
Yeah I bought an OCZ 60GB Vertex I think it was back in about 2011 when they first came out.  OCZ doesn't even exist now.
It cost me $251 which was about $4 per GB.  Now-a-days it's the other way round and then some...You can easily buy at TB SSD for $160 ish, (or so a very fast look on PriceSpy tells me).  Anyway at the time it was by FAR the best improvement to the Laptop I owed then.  And after that I was a real convert and changed a lot of peoples machines to SSD.  As we know the difference between even a Sata 2 SSD and a 7200 mechanical HDD is about a factor of 3x faster.  And they're much faster with SATA 3 etc. 

Great invention.
(09-11-2021, 01:38 PM)Me+Me Wrote: Yeah I bought an OCZ 60GB Vertex I think it was back in about 2011 when they first came out. 
Great invention.

I bought the same drive in 2011. It failed a few years later (along with every other OCZ drive I owned). They had a weird firmware bug that caused them to just stop working.

I think they got bought out by Toshiba, or someone. 

Definitely couldn't go back to spinning rust these days. I'm 100% solid state, aside from my archive server which is running a RAID 10 on HDDs.
(10-11-2021, 10:00 PM)videomonkey Wrote:
(09-11-2021, 01:38 PM)Me+Me Wrote: Yeah I bought an OCZ 60GB Vertex I think it was back in about 2011 when they first came out. 
Great invention.

I bought the same drive in 2011. It failed a few years later (along with every other OCZ drive I owned). They had a weird firmware bug that caused them to just stop working.

I think they got bought out by Toshiba, or someone. 

Definitely couldn't go back to spinning rust these days. I'm 100% solid state, aside from my archive server which is running a RAID 10 on HDDs.
I agree.  And interestingly I had a Vertex 2 die, (think it was that one), for no apparent reason.  I'd bought it off Pb Tech.  They declined to replace it under warranty as they said the little sticker on one corner which said "warranty void if removed" had been damaged - although it very obviously had not been removed and even if it had that wouldn't be any reason to deny warranty.  Well it was partially stuck over a small flat headed phillips screw and 'someone' had damaged the sticker by obviously putting a screwdriver thru the sticker and into the head of the screw.  It wasn't me and I got a little hot under the collar about their insinuation.  In fact I think it was them trying to avoid a warranty claim.  Anyway after a short to & fro by email with me mentioning a couple of legal points they fell over and replaced it.  Lol.  Thats the only issue I had with those drives.  And yeah I'm 100%  SSD now - well except for a 500GB backup drive in the old desktop.  The OS runs from an SSD of course.
(09-11-2021, 10:28 AM)king1 Wrote: i hate working on machines with mechanical drives now, they are soooo slow...  i find the first thing i do regardless of the problem, is look for signs that its failing, so i can talk owner into a ssd upgrade Rolleyes
+1
I do them on a weekly basis.
So annoying when i get the kind of people who say "im OK with its speed, im happy to wait and make a cup of coffee while it loads!" :facepalm:
(11-11-2021, 08:35 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(09-11-2021, 10:28 AM)king1 Wrote: i hate working on machines with mechanical drives now, they are soooo slow...  i find the first thing i do regardless of the problem, is look for signs that its failing, so i can talk owner into a ssd upgrade Rolleyes
+1
I do them on a weekly basis.
So annoying when i get the kind of people who say "im OK with its speed, im happy to wait and make a cup of coffee while it loads!" :facepalm:
I remember years ago in the days when mechanical drives and low ram and slow cpu's were the order of the day.  Sometimes booting computers didn't just give you time to make the cuppa - you also had time to drink it before the thing became usable.

One of my fav tricks was enabling hibernation and showing people how much faster the device restarted.
(11-11-2021, 01:36 PM)Me+Me Wrote: One of my fav tricks was enabling hibernation and showing people how much faster the device restarted.

These days I disable it to save disk space  Cool
(11-11-2021, 10:58 PM)videomonkey Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 01:36 PM)Me+Me Wrote: One of my fav tricks was enabling hibernation and showing people how much faster the device restarted.

These days I disable it to save disk space  Cool
It only uses a couple of GB and I'm not that low .............and it does make bootup much faster.