Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Keto
Who is doing Keto?
How are you doing?
Easy or hard going?
Belong to any Keto groups?

Me, I'm mostly doing well, although yesterday and today, I have been a bit 'off' Keto eating. I had a very small binge of chocolate last night, and a bottle of "V" today, both of these being binge food from my past eating habits. But, it's out of my system now, and I'm good to go again.

I've lost 7.1kg in 4 weeks.
It's mostly easy going. I've not cooked so much in a long time. It's usually been pre packaged meals, and a heap of rubbish, but now I'm eating a heap of veges, eggs, meat, cheese, and drinking alot of water (I think that might be challenged over the winter months, as I'm not a natural water drinker, although I'm getting more used to it now).

I belong to a Keto group on FB, and they are awesome, and so encouraging. Heaps of recipes there.

I am in Ketosis, but not fat adapted yet. I'm looking forward to being able to fast.
I do need to get some exercise in now, so will start doing that soon. Youtube is great for finding plenty of easy exercise sessions.

It is great to have this new site to be able to carry on, although I realise that TM are keeping this topic alive....for now anyway.

Come on in and chat. We all have something to learn and share about Keto.

KETO ROCKS!!!
Keto does rock!
Been following a keto diet for 2 years now...such a great lifestyle with many documented health benefits..which is the main reason I follow it so I don't worry too much about how much I eat lol
I've gone from taking a handful of drugs twice a day, to only taking them PRN (which depends on how active I've been).
(20-02-2020, 07:51 PM)Essi Wrote: Keto does rock!
Been following a keto diet for 2 years now...such a great lifestyle with many documented health benefits..which is the main reason I follow it so I don't worry too much about how much I eat lol
I've gone from taking a handful of drugs twice a day, to only taking them PRN (which depends on how active I've been).

I don't know why, but I am sleeping so well. I go out like a light most nights. I do take a sleeping tablet, as I've been a poor sleeper for a long time, and not ready to give them up yet, but it's so good to go to bed, knowing that I am going to go to sleep almost right away. And, I don't need a nana nap in the arvo anymore either.
I did keto for a year and lost 16 kg, but I have a lot of food allergies and gave it up because only eating meat, seafood and veges was too restrictive. Now I am ready to begin again but have decided to do it one month at a time. Obviously I won't get fat-adapted doing this, but it will be low carb which also has benefits. The weight loss just takes longer on low carb.
You can eat tofu if you don't want to eat so much meats, it is keto/low carb compliant, and if you get it from the asian shop, locally produced tofu can be quite cheap.
I ate very low carb (< 25g net carbs) for about a year and lost 10kg, which was my goal. It was a real bonus to find how much better I felt, and one of the side effects was that I ended up gluten-free. I ate only minimally processed foods, none of the "keto" products, which are often ultra-processed junk.

I eased off a bit a few years ago but remain gluten free, and keep below a about 50g net carbs per day eating a wide variety of veges, meat, fish, cheese, nuts and fruit, with the occasional home made corn tortilla. It is the healthiest way of eating I know.
(16-11-2021, 07:12 AM)Olive Wrote: I ate very low carb (< 25g net carbs) for about a year and lost 10kg, which was my goal.  It was a real bonus to find how much better I felt, and one of the side effects was that I ended up gluten-free.  I ate only minimally processed foods, none of the "keto"  products, which are often ultra-processed junk.

I eased off a bit a few years ago but remain gluten free, and keep below a about 50g net carbs per day eating a wide variety of veges, meat, fish, cheese, nuts and fruit, with the occasional home made corn tortilla.  It is the healthiest way of eating I know.
I felt very limited in doing Keto. Lost quite alot in weight, and felt so much better, but I knew that it wasn't going to be sustainable in the long term for me. I love fruit, and I missed that, so decided to add fruit to my diet, but also a good bread for sandwiches, as Keto made me quite constipated, and now, the bread (wheatmeal) keeps me 'regular'.
(16-11-2021, 10:35 AM)crafters_corner Wrote:
(16-11-2021, 07:12 AM)Olive Wrote: I ate very low carb (< 25g net carbs) for about a year and lost 10kg, which was my goal.  It was a real bonus to find how much better I felt, and one of the side effects was that I ended up gluten-free.  I ate only minimally processed foods, none of the "keto"  products, which are often ultra-processed junk.

I eased off a bit a few years ago but remain gluten free, and keep below a about 50g net carbs per day eating a wide variety of veges, meat, fish, cheese, nuts and fruit, with the occasional home made corn tortilla.  It is the healthiest way of eating I know.
I felt very limited in doing Keto. Lost quite alot in weight, and felt so much better, but I knew that it wasn't going to be sustainable in the long term for me. I love fruit, and I missed that, so decided to add fruit to my diet, but also a good bread for sandwiches, as Keto made me quite constipated, and now, the bread (wheatmeal) keeps me 'regular'.
Sounds like a fairly pleasant way too lose a bit of weight but the thought of constipation without fibre is off putting
What we really need here is somebody going on about how you are better off to be vegan.
(21-12-2021, 07:33 PM)eljayv Wrote:
(16-11-2021, 10:35 AM)crafters_corner Wrote: I felt very limited in doing Keto. Lost quite alot in weight, and felt so much better, but I knew that it wasn't going to be sustainable in the long term for me. I love fruit, and I missed that, so decided to add fruit to my diet, but also a good bread for sandwiches, as Keto made me quite constipated, and now, the bread (wheatmeal) keeps me 'regular'.
Sounds like a fairly pleasant way too lose a bit of weight but the thought of constipation without fibre is off putting
There's plenty of fibre in vegetables, you just need to eat them rather than ultra-processed junk.
(21-12-2021, 07:57 PM)TygerTung Wrote: What we really need here is somebody going on about how you are better off to be vegan.

Perhaps he's waiting for a personal invite to come over.
(21-12-2021, 08:39 PM)Olive Wrote:
(21-12-2021, 07:33 PM)eljayv Wrote: Sounds like a fairly pleasant way too lose a bit of weight but the thought of constipation without fibre is off putting
There's plenty of fibre in vegetables, you just need to eat them rather than ultra-processed junk.
I was thinking more of kiwi fruit etc which I don’t think anyone would classify as ultra-processed junk
(23-12-2021, 07:40 AM)eljayv Wrote:
(21-12-2021, 08:39 PM)Olive Wrote: There's plenty of fibre in vegetables, you just need to eat them rather than ultra-processed junk.
I was thinking more of kiwi fruit etc which I don’t think anyone would classify as ultra-processed junk
Limitation on many fruits in a keto diet due to sugar content.
If you want fruit, you should only be eating berries when on Keto.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
(23-12-2021, 07:40 AM)eljayv Wrote:
(21-12-2021, 08:39 PM)Olive Wrote: There's plenty of fibre in vegetables, you just need to eat them rather than ultra-processed junk.
I'm not saying that it is.   But there is no need to eat fruit at all to get fibre, although berries are pretty low-carb and full of nutrients, also delicious.

Low-carb encompasses all leafy and cruciferous veges, mushrooms, eggplant, okra, every vege really, although you should go easy on potatoes if you want to go very low carb.
“What the fat” books are great. I Lost 35kgs and have kept it off for 3 years now. Food is really good. I fast most days, which for me just means skipping breakfast and don’t eat after 8pm.it’s easy and I’m just not hungry anymore. Pretty powerful stuff!!