Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So my computer is behaving strange after upgrading my SSD...
Seems to be OK, for the time being but my computer would just  go to a blank screen when it was supposed to go into sleep mode after 30mins.
Except only it wasnt going into sleep mode at all and was in some sort of frozen state, nothing would wake it up, and just a single short press of the power button without holding it in for 4 seconds would cause it to turn off immediately.

Then if i went to turn back on the computer, it would not boot up at all and after the BIOS had loaded it just went blank again.
If went into the boot menu and select the UEFI boot partition on the SSD, it would boot up fine again, until next time round.
Seemed to be messing up the boot order on the BIOS settings too, I have to keep moving it back around, but it reverts back after it crashes.

Weird thing is it seems OK for the time being, but will know after i leave this running for a few hours, last night it appeared to go into sleep fine.

Its a brand new samsung 980 pro that ive replaced my old 960 pro with thats double the size. Seems to run faster and everything else, so hopefully its OK.
I might check if there is a firmware update for the drive.
odd, not much help but in the interim could you just disable the sleep mode,

check that system restore is on too , I sometimes find after reimaging, on the odd occasion system restore is disabled for the new drive
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(12-11-2021, 11:58 AM)king1 Wrote: odd, not much help but in the interim could you just disable the sleep mode,

check that system restore is on too , I sometimes find after reimaging, on the odd occasion system restore is disabled for the new drive
I will check that out, was wondering if it might have had something to do with the hibernation file or something.
Ive reimaged hundreds of drives without any issues, but this is the first time ive actually done it directly between two M.2 NVME drives.

Seems OK so far today which is odd.
Interesting. Personally I never use sleep mode I simply hibernate it.

Your sleep issue shouldn't have anything to do with hibernation they're quite different processes. You can turn off hibernation if you don't use it and that'll delete the hiberfile. How much virtual memory you got it set up for ?
(12-11-2021, 01:34 PM)Me+Me Wrote: Interesting.  Personally I never use sleep mode I simply hibernate it.

Your sleep issue shouldn't have anything to do with hibernation they're quite different processes.  You can turn off hibernation if you don't use it and that'll delete the hiberfile.  How much virtual memory you got it set up for ?
I have 32GB of RAM and the page file is set to dynamic so it adjusts automatically if required by windows. With that much memory, I doubt the page file is very big at all. Should check its size, but so far have had no issues today.
(12-11-2021, 09:18 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 01:34 PM)Me+Me Wrote: Interesting.  Personally I never use sleep mode I simply hibernate it.

Your sleep issue shouldn't have anything to do with hibernation they're quite different processes.  You can turn off hibernation if you don't use it and that'll delete the hiberfile.  How much virtual memory you got it set up for ?
I have 32GB of RAM and the page file is set to dynamic so it adjusts automatically if required by windows. With that much memory, I doubt the page file is very big at all. Should check its size, but so far have had no issues today.
I never leave a dynamic page file now-a-days.  It's less wear and tear on particularly an SSD to set it to a fixed size.