Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some books are like pavlova and whipped cream
(15-11-2021, 10:55 AM)Outsider Wrote:
(14-11-2021, 10:33 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I'm struggling a bit with The hero's journey, Joseph Campbell. Have meant  to read his books for years, so when I saw this at the library, I grabbed it. The problem is that on the same visit I also got Women & power, Mary Beard which I've just finished reading. So now I'm reading the book about the myths & wondering where the hell all the women are. Apart from Medusa, obviously.

I'm slightly tempted to give up; I have an Ursula K le Guin short stories waiting but think I'll persevere a bit longer.

I first heard about Joseph Campbell when I happened to catch the 6 part TV series The Power of Myth with Bill Moyers talking to him.
It made a big difference to my understanding of religion and the spiritual side of life. I still have my recordings of that series, which I've watched a few times, and also have the book.
But I agree that he's not an easy read - I bought a few more of his academic books but struggle with them.

Have you watched the Power of Myth series? It's probably on YouTube.
Not that I recall, but then there's been so much information poured into my brain that some old files seem to be far harder to reach these days - I know I recall seeing/hearing about him somewhere & TLC was influenced by his ideas - ' follow your bliss', so I got a bit of that when i did a course with them approximately a century ago; or perhaps it was only last century, who knows! Rolleyes Angel
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some books are like pavlova and whipped cream - by Lilith7 - 15-11-2021, 01:30 PM