Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stamp Club
We are open for business.

The Trade Me thread has been downloaded and will find a new digital home at some point in the future, so all previous questions, answers and ads for Stamp and Postcard Fairs in Christchurch will live on forever (or until the hosting runs out).

First topic of discussion...

Why are this year's Christmas stamps so incredibly bland? They've been doing these for 61 years, so I get that there's a limited amount of Yuletide imagery you can draw from the well on, but this earns a must try harder grade. Not helped by a problematic font choice necessitated by the simple design. One saving grace, easy to tell them apart by colour which is always handy for the older folk who for the most part are the actual users of the stamps.

https://collectables.nzpost.co.nz/christ...nt-stamps/
It will be interesting to see how many of those they sell this year, compared to say, 5 years ago.

I don't think I'll send any Christmas cards this year; my list has been getting smaller and smaller.
Was about 6 or 7 last year but so many friends and family have died, and it's not worth sending overseas mail these days.
I've been waiting for a parcel from England for 2 months and still no sign.

So will stamps become valuable in the future when they're not used any more, or will people just shrug their shoulders and say, "What are they?"
Modern stamps look to be going the way of phonecards sadly. ​NZ Post have made them problematic to use on parcels, so you're left with letter mail which is understandably dwindling.

Young people don't encounter them that often, so there's way less incentive to collect them or even recognise what they are. The blank expression of a nephew when he received a cheque for Christmas comes to mind.

The rare ones will continue to be rare and will have their audience, but much of collecting now is just getting yourself some colourful bits of paper.
(14-11-2021, 06:31 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Modern stamps look to be going the way of phonecards sadly. NZ Post have made them problematic to use on parcels, so you're left with letter mail which is understandably dwindling.

Young people don't encounter them that often, so there's way less incentive to collect them or even recognise what they are. The blank expression of a nephew when he received a cheque for Christmas comes to mind.

The rare ones will continue to be rare and will have their audience, but much of collecting now is just getting yourself some colourful bits of paper.
And don't NZ Post know it. Turning out sets of rubbish stamps one after the other. Just a money maker as far as they're concerned.
New upcoming release from NZ Post which will no doubt get a few thickos riled up - it's a set called "Eid Muburak" which recognises NZ's Muslim communities. Similar to many releases of late, it's very samey, with just some colour variations. Interesting to see the very high denomination $6.50 stamp - so no doubt this will be used for posting overseas.

[Image: J000810-Eid_Collateral-Webhomepage-V1.png?c=1]

"Celebrating pointless stamp releases since 2021"