Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Grandparents thread
So typical - for decades there were lots of posts from grandmas about grandchildren, which were a bit boring for someone who had given up on ever having any!
Now I have a grandchild - a miracle at my age - I can't find any, so am starting my own Smile

My beautiful granddaughter will be ONE tomorrow and is such a joy.
I was 73 when she was born, and I'm going to be helping out with looking after her from tomorrow as mum goes back to work (from home at the moment).
It's exhausting (I've done practice runs) so hope I'll be up to it.
Our lounge looks more like a family room now and much more messy, but that's how I like it.

I had kept loads of the best toys and books from my own children for 40 years!
Sadly had to get rid of most, but not all, when we moved house. I still hoped for a miracle and got it!!

What can she do? I'm glad you asked . . .
She's now standing unaided, wobbling a bit and looking at the camera before falling down on her bottom and getting up to try again.
Won't be long before she's walking now and getting into all sorts of mischief.
Babbling all the time - mum mum mum, dad dad dad and things that make sense only to her.

She loves books - me and her mum are making sure of that, and has joined the library.

Anyone else want to share about a special grandchild?
Ahhhh, I have two! My daughter was a miracle child, after years of infertility and then being widowed, she was conceived as I ended an affair. She in turn had and has her own health issues and both her children were fertility assisted pregnancies - so we are especially blessed.

I haven't met mine, she and her lovely husband live in Perth, but I get lots of photos and videos, and am very proud of all of them. My grandson loves science fiction like me, and my grandaughter is described as inclined to be wild like me, so it is rather fun to know my genes continue in future worlds!
(15-11-2021, 09:09 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Ahhhh, I have two! My daughter was a miracle child, after years of infertility and then being widowed, she was conceived as I ended an affair. She in turn had and has her own health issues and both her children were fertility assisted pregnancies - so we are especially blessed.

I haven't met mine, she and her lovely husband live in Perth, but I get lots of photos and videos, and am very proud of all of them. My grandson loves science fiction like me, and my grandaughter is described as inclined to be wild like me, so it is rather fun to know my genes continue in future worlds!

LOvely story and a bit of a miracle too, as you say - what would we do without the internet and photos/videos.
It was frustrating during lockdown and not being able to see her, but daughter kept me up-to-date with her doings.
And very entertaining she is! 
Hope you get to meet your grandchildren one day soon - how old are they?
We have our 10 year old granddaughter here today - it's a teacher only day at her school.
I do have other cameras!
(15-11-2021, 09:27 AM)Praktica Wrote: We have out 10 year old granddaughter here today - it's a teacher only day at her school.

Lovely! I hope I can survive until ours is 10 (I'll be 84 so going to try my best!)
Have fun.
(15-11-2021, 09:15 AM)Outsider Wrote:
(15-11-2021, 09:09 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Ahhhh, I have two! My daughter was a miracle child, after years of infertility and then being widowed, she was conceived as I ended an affair. She in turn had and has her own health issues and both her children were fertility assisted pregnancies - so we are especially blessed.

LOvely story and a bit of a miracle too, as you say - what would we do without the internet and photos/videos.
It was frustrating during lockdown and not being able to see her, but daughter kept me up-to-date with her doings.
And very entertaining she is! 
Hope you get to meet your grandchildren one day soon - how old are they?
Eli is seven and Ria is five. Current obsession is 'hooley hoops'...

Wow. Isn't life so wonderful, that it produces such beautiful miracles. Heart
Congratulation on becoming a Grandparent its the best joy in life.

I have 11 grandchildren out those 11 we have raised 5 of them Thankfully they have
grown into lovely young adults now 2 of them now have children of their own
so we now have 4 great grans....... They'll a joy would not have it any other way.
My stepson's partner is due to have a daughter next May so without having actually being a father I am set to become a (step) grandad. The thought crossed my mind the other day that she will probably live to see the next century. Imagine what she will witness in her lifetime!!!
My Dad didn't quite make it to see the turn, but maybe his greats will see the next ones. I bet they won't bother getting all steamed up about any Y2K idiocy...
Being a Gran is just absolutely the best thing - a friend of mine has only recently become a Gran for the first time - so the other day when she sent me 18 photos on FB, I knew straight away who they'd be of!

I have six grandchildren, ranging in age from 30 to 18, 4 girls & 2 boys & so far three great grandchildren, two boys & one girl.

There's just one rule about being a grandparent - it is the first duty of all grandparents to spoil outrageously, all grandchildren at every opportunity. And I think that's every bit as true as the day I made it up. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
4 daughters - 44; 42; 39; 36
7 grandchildren (5 girls/2 boys) Aged from 23 down to 8)

They all get their awesomeness from me, of course.:-))

Grandmothers are Mums with lots of frosting.
Do you think we need a sub-forum for Grandparents? or are we happy with this thread
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Let's wait and see...
Yeah probably best to give it a while, see how it goes, & then do one if needed. Said she, having not a damned clue just what the hell that might entail. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(16-11-2021, 05:57 PM)king1 Wrote: Do you think we need a sub-forum for Grandparents? or are we happy with this thread
It is in the Family and Parenting, so it seems to be in the right place, I would have thought.
We are grandparents to two Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin The oldest, a granddaughter aged 8 and our grandson has just turned 5. I still remember the thrill of being told we were going to be grandparents lol and it's still the best thing since sliced bread. There is a special kind of love between grandparents and grandkids I think. What I love is we can spoil the kids and then give them back lol. Our daughter 'growls' when we let the grandkids have biscuits for breakfast lol. The grandkids think it's funny that Mum wasn't allowed biscuits for her breakfast but they are lol. Little things like that make it so special. They live four hours away so we have to make the most of them when we do see them.
Life is a one time offer, use it well 
I sent a box of family stuff to Perth with a friend who was doing an Oz tour and apparently my grandson was more eager to open it than my daughter. He drove her mad with questions and immediately sequestered all my Dad's military photos, his commission doc, and medals and insisted on finding a special box to keep them safe. My Dad was the only father figure my daughter really had and she added his name to her son's, and it seems the old man lives on in the boy in many ways. He would be rather chuffed I think.
(17-11-2021, 09:20 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I sent a box of family stuff to Perth with a friend who was doing an Oz tour and apparently my grandson was more eager to open it than my daughter. He drove her mad with questions and immediately sequestered all my Dad's military photos, his commission doc, and medals and insisted on finding a special box to keep them safe. My Dad was the only father figure my daughter really had and she added his name to her son's, and it seems the old man lives on in the boy in many ways. He would be rather chuffed I think.
That is so adorable hunni. Can't you almost imagine it.

I used to love watching the kids (and I'm talking girls here) be intrigued by the stories that Papa told of the 'olden days'. They actually were all quite interested, although not for long periods of time, coz Pops would go on a bit.:-))
(17-11-2021, 09:20 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I sent a box of family stuff to Perth with a friend who was doing an Oz tour and apparently my grandson was more eager to open it than my daughter. He drove her mad with questions and immediately sequestered all my Dad's military photos, his commission doc, and medals and insisted on finding a special box to keep them safe. My Dad was the only father figure my daughter really had and she added his name to her son's, and it seems the old man lives on in the boy in many ways. He would be rather chuffed I think.
That's so cool - lovely that they were so well received. he's probably going to cherish them for the rest of his life. Smile
perhaps the best part of being a grandparent is being able to get away with spoiling them, I think. That, & teaching silly little things like swishing through the fallen leaves in Autumn because its impossible to do that & not smile. Shy