Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Windows ME
What do people think about it? Is it really the worst ever Windows version?

Now what is it like in 2021? I'm awaiting a new motherboard in the mail and then I am going to try it out again.

It should be efficient in disc space, most computers had small hard drives in 2001
Nice to see you! Saw an ad for Windows 11 yesterday.

All these new gens just make me feel old, lol.
win Me was definitely the worst windows ever, vista was not much better and windows 8 was also a bit of a lemon.
hmm I had WinME for a time and didn't think it was that bad - personally I'd say Vista was worse followed a close 2nd by Win 8.

You're going to have fun running Win ME in 2021 on the internet. It'll be possible but difficult. And you're going to find it very hard because the motherboard will be severely limited in Ram compared to todays units. This will make it pretty slow.

In sayin that I'm sitting here looking at a Win Xp Home computer which has a P4 (3Ghz), and an enormous 1GB of ram and it's one of the two computers in our work office. IT's OLD and has only a few hundred MB storage space left on it's 40GB drive. It's currently running Firefox version 52.9 and it's *ok*on the internet - but pretty slow to do anything really.

I very rarely do any kind of system maintenance on it as the company owners are not interested in caring about whether we have useable computers or not. Indeed someone, and it wasn't me cleared the dust from the front grille of the computer a year or so ago. It had entirely blocked the grill. I was always waiting for the day I came to work to find the building had burnt down as the computer is never shut down.

We also have an old laptop here and that's a bit better but not much.
It will be interesting to see how Windows 11 compares to ME, Vista and Windows 8. Will it be better than the best version of Windows so far, Windows XP?
Move on Tyger... ME should remain dead and buried
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(15-11-2021, 12:02 PM)TygerTung Wrote: What do people think about it? Is it really the worst ever Windows version?

Now what is it like in 2021? I'm awaiting a new motherboard in the mail and then I am going to try it out again.

It should be efficient in disc space, most computers had small hard drives in 2001

ME was a bit of a peculiar beast. Some machines were rock solid while others blue screened randomly. Drivers would be a problem now if you connect anything reasonably modern to it , including motherboard and video card drivers.
I would be interested in hearing how you go. Good luck , cause I think you may need it. Smile
(15-11-2021, 05:38 PM)pheonix Wrote:
(15-11-2021, 12:02 PM)TygerTung Wrote: What do people think about it? Is it really the worst ever Windows version?

ME was a bit of a peculiar beast. Some machines were rock solid while others blue screened randomly. Drivers would be a problem now if you connect anything reasonably modern to it , including motherboard and video card drivers.
I would be interested in hearing how you go. Good luck , cause I think you may need it. Smile

I'll be using all period hardware so drivers shouldn't be an issue. I don't recall it being particularly unstable back in the day, but we had a factory built Compaq, so maybe it was more optimized somehow. It was our first IBM compatible machine, before that we had an Amiga 500+

I still have the Compaq, but the motherboard died I think, so have a new one in the mail.
Y'know I wouldn't be surprised if you don't remember now, (we tend to 'bury' memories of bad events to protect our sanity), but it was probably Win ME that caused you to swing over to what we now know as 'The Dark Side' - AKA Linux.

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

And with that consequence in mind I dunno if you should return to Win ME - you could have something serious happen this time !
WIN Me was the bastard half brained illegitimate child of one of MS's best Win 2000 AKA NT4.
Nah, I only started using Linux when I wanted to install MS Office on my computer, but I didn't want to buy it. I found out about Open Office, and saw that it was open source. I thought, "well if I can get an open source office suite, why not try a whole open source operating system?"

I tried it out and found it to be quite good, and have been using it along side Windows ever since.
(15-11-2021, 02:41 PM)TygerTung Wrote: It will be interesting to see how Windows 11 compares to ME, Vista and Windows 8. Will it be better than the best version of Windows so far, Windows XP?

Tbh I struggle to call Windows 11 a "new version". It's really just a Windows 10 feature update with a new number beside it.

I've been running it for a month or so now. It's a nice UI improvement over Windows 10. But the mechanics are the same. Like Windows 10, it's good. But no major improvement.
Have they been able to fix the hard drive hammering issue which Windows 10 seems to suffer from?
(16-11-2021, 07:41 AM)TygerTung Wrote: Have they been able to fix the hard drive hammering issue which Windows 10 seems to suffer from?

never had that problem with Windows 10,  hard drive hammering is generally caused by bad and/or slow hard drives...  and SSD's help a lot...

Maybe, but surely there shouldn't be a reason which the OS should be writing to the drive all the time?
(15-11-2021, 08:45 PM)videomonkey Wrote:
(15-11-2021, 02:41 PM)TygerTung Wrote: It will be interesting to see how Windows 11 compares to ME, Vista and Windows 8. Will it be better than the best version of Windows so far, Windows XP?

Tbh I struggle to call Windows 11 a "new version". It's really just a Windows 10 feature update with a new number beside it.

I've been running it for a month or so now. It's a nice UI improvement over Windows 10. But the mechanics are the same. Like Windows 10, it's good. But no major improvement.

I still use Win 7. 10 Win was crap. I also have 4 linux systems on my PC, multi boots.
(16-11-2021, 08:07 AM)TygerTung Wrote: Maybe, but surely there shouldn't be a reason which the OS should be writing to the drive all the time?

They need to write data to drives TygerTung, that's the way operating systems work...

I hope you're not going to turn this into another windows is so slow compared to linux on my 20 year old hardware thread.  We kinda did that one to death on TM...

Never had an issue with Windows 10 and I've used it for professional video editing for years, which is about the most demand you can put on a computer. Def the most stable OS I've ever used.

As for the hard drive hammering issue, never heard of it or experienced it personally.
(15-11-2021, 08:45 PM)videomonkey Wrote:

From a UI perspective its much nicer than windows 10, and I like it how they are moving back to coloured icons in settings and getting rid of sharp edges.
Funny how fads change?
(15-11-2021, 06:39 PM)Me+Me Wrote: Y'know I wouldn't be surprised if you don't remember now, (we tend to 'bury' memories of bad events to protect our sanity), but it was probably Win ME that caused you to swing over to what we now know as 'The Dark Side' - AKA Linux.

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

And with that consequence in mind I dunno if you should return to Win ME - you could have something serious happen this time !

(16-11-2021, 08:22 AM)king1 Wrote:
(16-11-2021, 08:07 AM)TygerTung Wrote: Maybe, but surely there shouldn't be a reason which the OS should be writing to the drive all the time?

They need to write data to drives TygerTung, that's the way operating systems work...

I hope you're not going to turn this into another windows is so slow compared to linux on my 20 year old hardware thread.  We kinda did that one to death on TM...

No, this in a Windows thread, no point comparing Linux. Linux has a different design architecture to Windows, the two can't really be compared.

This thread is about Windows Me, and finding out if it is really the worst version of Windows so far.