Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you 'save things for best'?
The best china, the best linen, the best silver - it used to be a 'thing' that the lovely stuff, the quality goods were 'saved for best' and the lesser grade used every day. So, when clearing an estate it was quite common to find items still in their wrapping, or carefully stored, pristine and untouched, in chests and cupboards. Then they show up on TradeMe these days, auction houses in the past, clearance sales and the like.

So, do you use the good stuff? Or save it for 'best'?  Smile
Nah, not these days. Everything gets used, or I sell/donate it.

It's what we did, back in the day, was to keep things for 'best'.

I was married in the 70's, and we got a china cabinet especially for all those things that only got brought out for 'special occasions', that were given to us as wedding presents, from old aunts etc. It was excellent quality back then too.
If you looked in my kitchen cupboard, you would see a glorious mixture of cups and plates, the survivors of years of crockery sets. No best there. I'm afraid.

My mother had a set of Noritake bone china which came out if we had guests for afternoon tea.
I do have other cameras!
I still have our Noritake dinner set and silver cutlery that we used when guests came (not very often). The Noritake looks a bit old-fashioned now but we still use it at Christmas and for special birthdays. I can't see the point of keeping things that will never be used, though I have done so in the past because of 'sentimental reasons'.
(16-11-2021, 09:28 PM)Outsider Wrote: I still have our Noritake dinner set and silver cutlery that we used when guests came (not very often). The Noritake looks a bit old-fashioned now but we still use it at Christmas and for special birthdays. I can't see the point of keeping things that will never be used, though I have done so in the past because of 'sentimental reasons'.
Keep things that are useful, that you enjoy, and that are sentimental and meaningful to you.
Useful, beautiful, and meaningful, those are my criteria too. And I like lovely things, so I pick them up second hand and use them everyday. Pretty plates, nice glasses, good silver - they make me smile.
I use beautiful things on a daily basis. It would be a shame to have everything stored away in a cupboard.
(17-11-2021, 04:18 PM)Tui Wrote: I use beautiful things on a daily basis.  It would be a shame to have everything stored away in a cupboard.
Totally.
After my parents died, and going through their linen closet, there were so many packets of sheets that had never been opened. And there must have been at least 100 pillowcase pairs. Unbelievable. It's what they did back then though.

PS, it's great to see you make your first post. Welcome aboard the SS TMMB. Smile
I used to but not know. Last month our daughter got married and I passed onto her a linen tablecloth my mother-in-law made for our wedding. Beautiful pulled thread and embroidery work. I was always scared to use it in case it got stained. I am embarrassed to say my mother-in-law died 4 years ago and I dont think she ever saw it on our table. So I passed it onto our daughter and told her to use it. If it gets stained they will remember what caused it and the friends they might have had dining with them. As for the rest of our junk, best or not, I use it now or donate.
I am being saved for best. Smile
A smile is more contagious than a virus. Smile
No, apart from a few clothes. Everything gets used now, but I remember the days when young women had a 'glory box' for putting away linen - towels, sheets etc. etc. to be used when they got married.
Quite a lot of those were put carefully away 'for best.'
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(20-11-2021, 06:51 AM)Rumpelteazer Wrote: I am being saved for best. Smile
It would be very hard to convince me that this is true. Big Grin

(20-11-2021, 02:09 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: No, apart from a few clothes. Everything gets used now, but I remember the days when young women had a 'glory box' for putting away linen - towels, sheets etc. etc. to be used when they got married.
Quite a lot of those were put carefully away 'for best.'
I had a glory box. It was a basic wooden thing, that I painted. Filled it with linen of all sorts.

The Trousseau. (It is spelt the same way as in Afrikaans)
The thing I find in saving certain things for best is that if the event ever comes round, they may no longer fit. 

So not really. I have a rug made of natural "black" wool I was given over 30 years ago that was for ages such a prized possession that I'd rarely bring it out. I still prize it, but now it's a bed throw owned by my cat.
Autumn comes
Things should be enjoyed, I think. Even if they end up being cat places, and suffer the consequences. At least they lived, and provided joy, and didn't just exist in a dark cupboard.
We still have my grandmother's glory box in the family - its enormous & was made for her by the local undertaker, which must have made a nice change for him.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(26-11-2021, 12:59 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: We still have my grandmother's glory box in the family - its enormous & was made for her by the local undertaker, which must have made a nice change for him.
He did know what he was making it for, right? Big Grin
(26-11-2021, 01:37 PM)crafters_corner Wrote:
(26-11-2021, 12:59 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: We still have my grandmother's glory box in the family - its enormous & was made for her by the local undertaker, which must have made a nice change for him.
He did know what he was making it for, right? Big Grin

Well - looking at the damn thing, you have to wonder whether he might have got slightly carried away. Big Grin
Beautiful work though, & he put little compartments in near the top for small things.
I still have the big carved camphorwood chest I requested for my 21st. It was found for my Dad by a mate of his - Tommy Ah Chee, from within his family, and was thought to be over a century old then, so it is a rather beloved piece of my household stuff. One of those pieces I'd rather not part with...

It is solid camphorwood, and will never run out of that very particular stink that moths hate.
(26-11-2021, 03:14 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I still have the big carved camphorwood chest I requested for my 21st. It was found for my Dad by a mate of his - Tommy Ah Chee, from within his family, and was thought to be over a century old then, so it is a rather beloved piece of my household stuff. One of those pieces I'd rather not part with...

It is solid camphorwood, and will never run out of that very particular stink that moths hate.
Arn't they a treasure.

I have one too. My Grandfather gave it to my Grandmother as a wedding gift, back in 1922. He got it in Dunedin I think, but not sure of it's origin before then.

And yes, I can still smell the camphor, but I actually like opening it up and smelling it.

It's very big, and holds all family photos and family histories. Will never part with it.
The smell of camphor always reminds of being a kid & having to wear a little bag with camphor in it around your neck when you had a cold or sore throat. Classrooms used to get really strong smelling in winter.