Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gee my windows is out of date!
Seen a few PCs doing similar things.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

thats a laugh - contender for our funny signs forum

intels founding date apparently
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comme...m_7181968/
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
interesting.
Ive seen a few updates also dated 1970
My wife's W10 machine won't update properly; spends hours doing the update (usually 6-8) and after the restart it is back where it was before it started.
(18-11-2021, 07:22 AM)TygerTung Wrote: My wife's W10 machine won't update properly; spends hours doing the update (usually 6-8) and after the restart it is back where it was before it started.
90% chance an SSD will fix that problem

(18-11-2021, 07:39 AM)king1 Wrote:
(18-11-2021, 07:22 AM)TygerTung Wrote: My wife's W10 machine won't update properly; spends hours doing the update (usually 6-8) and after the restart it is back where it was before it started.
90% chance an SSD will fix that problem

Oh you mean that it will take less time for the update to install and after restart for it to be back where it was again. I don't doubt it.

But for actually installing the update, it shouldn't make any difference if it is a HDD or SSD, it is just a storage device, just binary code.
(18-11-2021, 07:52 AM)TygerTung Wrote:
(18-11-2021, 07:39 AM)king1 Wrote: 90% chance an SSD will fix that problem

Oh you mean that it will take less time for the update to install and after restart for it to be back where it was again. I don't doubt it.

But for actually installing the update, it shouldn't make any difference if it is a HDD or SSD, it is just a storage device, just binary code.

it does if the hdd has faults, bad sectors etc.   One of the more obscure failings of hdds I see is unusually high average response time (from task manager) should be 10ms or less but in this failing scenario they can be in excess of 10000ms ie 10 seconds for a single data request...

The clue is in the 6 hours - that is way too long for a feature update, something is wrong, my guess is hardware.  If it was a software or windows kinda fault that process (including reverting ) would only take an hour or so...

you can also have a close look at the log files for clues, but that can be a bit time consuming
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topi...c6714349b9

(18-11-2021, 08:32 AM)king1 Wrote:
(18-11-2021, 07:52 AM)TygerTung Wrote: Oh you mean that it will take less time for the update to install and after restart for it to be back where it was again. I don't doubt it.

it does if the hdd has faults, bad sectors etc.   One of the more obscure failings of hdds I see is unusually high average response time (from task manager) should be 10ms or less but in this failing scenario they can be in excess of 10000ms ie 10 seconds for a single data request...

The clue is in the 6 hours - that is way too long for a feature update, something is wrong, my guess is hardware.  If it was a software or windows kinda fault that process (including reverting ) would only take an hour or so...
Agree - perhaps run Hdd Sentinal, (free edition), it only takes a couple seconds to report.
I did a HDD check with smartctl which runs in the command line, and it came back as no issues found. The laptop is maybe only 3 years old so I wouldn't expect it to be having problems just yet.

I think though a SSD would boost overall performance of the machine, will most likely change one day.
Is this a piss take?
I should add some faults like the high average response times aren't captured by monitoring tools like HD Sentinel, it doesn't seem to be one of the smart attributes... Check if it's a Toshiba drive, they're terrible

What version of Windows 10 ?? if it's 1909 (19h2) or earlier, then it's not supported and rolls back
Yeah it is the old version of W10, is there any way to get it to upgrade to the new version?
(19-11-2021, 03:02 PM)TygerTung Wrote: Yeah it is the old version of W10, is there any way to get it to upgrade to the new version?
Just download the newest version and install it over the top of the old one. Be careful to READ the info during the process so you don't erase anything you want off the old one and just upgrade it.
I just hate HDDs so much and dread working on any machine running on one. Usually most people complain and I always ask about upgrading them to an SSD.
Makes a huge difference, especially with windows updates that can sometimes still take ages even with an SSD
The difference always sells them when they experience it.