Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dune
Watched the trailer. Bugger. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g18jFHCLXk

Another brilliant sci fi book/series turned into yet another action movie. Because the world so needs yet another action movie.
And they all have American accents on Dune, too - who knew. Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Needs more worms. And where are the skin suits?
Exactly - not a worm in sight, although I suppose that sandstorm thingy might have a worm of sorts concealed in it. If that nose breathing thingy was supposed to represent a stihl (sp) suit, then it failed miserably.

But there's one consolation - it cannot possibly be as bad as the earlier version, with Sting. That was truly dire.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Some directed by Star Trek alumni Roxanne Dawson Smile
(22-11-2021, 06:20 PM)madras_seersucker Wrote: Some directed by Star Trek alumni Roxanne Dawson Smile
 Well that's no excuse! Must try harder, can do better! Angel
(22-11-2021, 06:28 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(22-11-2021, 06:20 PM)madras_seersucker Wrote: Some directed by Star Trek alumni Roxanne Dawson Smile
 Well that's no excuse! Must try harder, can do better! Angel
That's what my school reports used to often say. Confused

Mind you, I was a bit of a chatterbox. Hard to believe, I know. Rolleyes
The trailer might not be an accurate depiction of the film if Denis Villeneuve's oeuvre is anything to go by. His films are pretty slow moving (Bladerunner 2049) and quite artsy (Arrival), so expect a whole lot of meditative dialogue broken up by the occasional sandworm.

If only I could be bothered to watch the file that definitely isn't Dune on my pc, then I could probably tell you if that was indeed the case. But instead ended up watching Finch for some reason. Tom Hanks as a man alone. What could go wrong? So many things as it turned out. Who needs a plot when you can have a CGI-robot bumbling about doing pratfalls.
I might wait till it shows up on netflix...
(22-11-2021, 07:21 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I might wait till it shows up on netflix...
  Yeah, me too. Jeez, I really wish the movie industry would just do actual sci fi films without turning them into bloody action movies! Sad
I watched the old one. Long and boring, just like the book.
(23-11-2021, 02:36 PM)TygerTung Wrote: I watched the old one. Long and boring, just like the book.
 I loved the book - must read it again at some point. But the movie version with Sting was just awful.
The new Dune was alright. Not a great film, but perfectly fine. Was a little bit ponderous in places, accentuated by Timothée Chalamet's low-key delivery, but it had the requisite amount of sci-fi nonsense to set it up for the second part.

Next on the film watching list - The French Dispatch. Time for some Wes Anderson symmetry...
(22-11-2021, 02:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Watched the trailer. Bugger. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g18jFHCLXk

Another brilliant sci fi book/series turned into yet another action movie. Because the world so needs yet another action movie.
And they all have American accents on Dune, too - who knew. Rolleyes

Ah I do love people who base their opinion on a movie on a 2.5 minute trailer rather than actually going to see it.

I HAVE seen it and can say it was pretty good.  This is if course Dune part 1 with part 2 due to be released in 2023.  Not an action film but has some action scenes - how can you not show the attack on Dune by the Harkonnens?  Jason Mamoa was good as Duncan as was Josh Brolin as Gurney.  Stellan Skarsgard was suitably creepy as the Baron.  No sign of the Emperor yet nor of Feyd Harkonnen.