Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Groundswell Protests
As a non-farmer, I read their position statement on their website and there are a few things I can sympathise with as well as some stuff I could support if I understood it better.

I saw that some supporters of the movement have had to step away, either briefly or permanently, over concerns about it being hijacked by anti-vaxx and anti-govt protesters and I can definitely understand that - I would be reluctant to voice support for the valid and reasonable points of protest Groundswell has if it continued to both harbour and encourage fringe protesters that are less interested in farmers and more interested in pushing COVID conspiracy, pro Trump, and anti-govt (like Ardern being a communist bitch, for example) views.

It was good to see the organisers distance themselves and condemn certain protest slogans and placards displayed at the rally a couple of months ago but I also can't help but think that just because some of those farmers agreed to put such views to one side, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't believe them.

If anything, I think these protests have been really interesting both from seeing how the organisers manage the PR alongside an already tense NZ political climate, and how their own supporters have tried to control, reclaim and/or reject things that don't seem aligned with the original intent.

I'm still glad they got to have their say though, and that the protests were pretty peaceful. They conducted themselves far better than those Destiny Church "Freedom" fuckwits, that's for sure.
well said
i wouldnt want anything i was part of hijacked by these parasites.
The anti vaxholes make anyone they endorse look as ignorant and gullible as they are.
if they are too frightened to get the jabs then cowering at home will be the extent of their entertainment options.
they wont be missed.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Well said and exactly how the situation is at present.
I didnt see much in the way of antivax messages at the local one in our area, it was more about anti "forced vaccination" from the banners I saw.
(23-11-2021, 09:30 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I didnt see much in the way of antivax messages at the local one in our area, it was more about anti "forced vaccination" from the banners I saw.

I'll be honest and say I didn't even notice the Whangarei one. I got stuck behind them trying to take my pregnant partner to Whangarei Hospital for an appointment at the protest two months ago. I'll admit being pretty pissed off at them then; it was a mixture of them blocking the road to the hospital and seeing a bunch of "Commie Bitch" and anti-vax signs at the time that, to me, only indicated that these farmers were having a tantrum about something and apparently that tantrum was worth stressing a pregnant woman over.

We left the house to go to the beach when that last Mother of All Protests was on. Didn't see any of their vehicles blocking the roads but saw a few farmers gathered at local pubs enjoying a pint after it was all over. They looked like happy, smiley guys. I didn't have any anger or dislike for them this time because I wasn't inconvenienced, I suppose, which made it easier for me to try and consider what they were protesting about.

I do love a good protest, though.
(24-11-2021, 09:01 AM)reigns Wrote:
(23-11-2021, 09:30 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I didnt see much in the way of antivax messages at the local one in our area, it was more about anti "forced vaccination" from the banners I saw.

I'll be honest and say I didn't even notice the Whangarei one. I got stuck behind them trying to take my pregnant partner to Whangarei Hospital for an appointment at the protest two months ago. I'll admit being pretty pissed off at them then; it was a mixture of them blocking the road to the hospital and seeing a bunch of "Commie Bitch" and anti-vax signs at the time that, to me, only indicated that these farmers were having a tantrum about something and apparently that tantrum was worth stressing a pregnant woman over.

We left the house to go to the beach when that last Mother of All Protests was on. Didn't see any of their vehicles blocking the roads but saw a few farmers gathered at local pubs enjoying a pint after it was all over. They looked like happy, smiley guys. I didn't have any anger or dislike for them this time because I wasn't inconvenienced, I suppose, which made it easier for me to try and consider what they were protesting about.

they seemed to be well behaved here, all pulling over to let traffic pass and had their hazard warning lights on.
(24-11-2021, 09:01 AM)reigns Wrote:

Protest is the sign of a healthy democracy - which tended to make the 'Commie bitch' signs look fairly silly. Rolleyes Rolleyes

They're every bit as entitled to protest something they see as wrong as anyone else is, but it does look as if they've been hijacked to some extent by the Covid CT brigade.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(24-11-2021, 01:08 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(24-11-2021, 09:01 AM)reigns Wrote: I'll be honest and say I didn't even notice the Whangarei one. I got stuck behind them trying to take my pregnant partner to Whangarei Hospital for an appointment at the protest two months ago. I'll admit being pretty pissed off at them then; it was a mixture of them blocking the road to the hospital and seeing a bunch of "Commie Bitch" and anti-vax signs at the time that, to me, only indicated that these farmers were having a tantrum about something and apparently that tantrum was worth stressing a pregnant woman over.

Protest is the sign of a healthy democracy - which tended to make the 'Commie bitch' signs look fairly silly. Rolleyes Rolleyes

They're every bit as entitled to protest something they see as wrong as anyone else is, but it does look as if they've been hijacked to some extent by the Covid CT brigade.

Hijacked is the right word for it. the Covid CT wankers are buttered with the same knife, and borne of the whole Trump/Qanon/CT beast.
Their aggressive attitude and rhetoric are fairly similar. Mainstream is dumb, sheeple, we are smarter, you are nazi's. you are anti freedom fap fap fap blah blah.

get the shot you big babies.
(24-11-2021, 01:35 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(24-11-2021, 01:08 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:  Protest is the sign of a healthy democracy - which tended to make the 'Commie bitch' signs look fairly silly. Rolleyes Rolleyes

Hijacked is the right word for it. the Covid CT wankers are buttered with the same knife, and borne of the whole Trump/Qanon/CT beast.
Their aggressive attitude and rhetoric are fairly similar. Mainstream is dumb, sheeple, we are smarter, you are nazi's. you are anti freedom fap fap fap blah blah.

Yeah, there does seem a large dose of arrogance which accompanies the Trump nutter element; I still find it bizarre that anyone here is daft enough to support such a person.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(24-11-2021, 04:01 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(24-11-2021, 01:35 PM)Magoo Wrote: Hijacked is the right word for it. the Covid CT wankers are buttered with the same knife, and borne of the whole Trump/Qanon/CT beast.

I still find it bizarre that anyone here is daft enough to support such a person.
same goes for arderns
yes i know
(24-11-2021, 04:21 PM)jim157 Wrote:
(24-11-2021, 04:01 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:  I still find it bizarre that anyone here is daft enough to support such a person.
same goes for arderns
oddly enough, a few did support Adern at the last election - who would you suggest is a better option?  presumably someone who is capable of making decisions that appease all parties concerned, a bit of a tall order under the circumstances...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(24-11-2021, 04:01 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(24-11-2021, 01:35 PM)Magoo Wrote: Hijacked is the right word for it. the Covid CT wankers are buttered with the same knife, and borne of the whole Trump/Qanon/CT beast.

Yeah, there does seem a large dose of arrogance which accompanies the Trump nutter element; I still find it bizarre that anyone here is daft enough to support such a person.
Theyve taken over that other site. based on their poll about 40 of the 100 or so contributing members are not going to be vaccinated. 40%, thats well out of line with the rest of the country.
Theres a cabal of them over there. Anything negative against Trump, Covid etc will get 20 or so of the mindless retards red thumbing you and ganging up.
Theres not a working brain between them. A bunch of dumber than dirt cucks being screwed by forces they cannot begin to understand.
(24-11-2021, 05:15 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(24-11-2021, 04:01 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Yeah, there does seem a large dose of arrogance which accompanies the Trump nutter element; I still find it bizarre that anyone here is daft enough to support such a person.
Theyve taken over that other site. based on their poll about 40 of the 100 or so contributing members are not going to be vaccinated. 40%, thats well out of line with the rest of the country.
Theres a cabal of them over there. Anything negative against Trump, Covid etc will get 20 or so of the mindless retards red thumbing you and ganging up.
Theres not a working brain between them. A bunch of dumber than dirt cucks being screwed by forces they cannot begin to understand.
No, no, you have it wrong..they have done their research and are the enlightened ones - we are the dumb sheeple.
I do have other cameras!
I love it when their 'research' includes a couple of tweets and a facebook meme.
they dont have 'research', they have the internet.
Dumber than a bag of hammers
(24-11-2021, 04:32 PM)king1 Wrote:
(24-11-2021, 04:21 PM)jim157 Wrote: same goes for arderns
oddly enough, a few did support Adern at the last election - who would you suggest is a better option?  presumably someone who is capable of making decisions that appease all parties concerned, a bit of a tall order under the circumstances...
  I think its fair to say that any govt in this situation would be having difficulty & make mistakes, because its very much a learn as we go, at least for now. And I seem to recall the Nats wanting our borders open sooner, which would almost certainly have made out present situation worse than it is.
 Every country is struggling to some extent.
(24-11-2021, 05:54 PM)Magoo Wrote: I love it when their 'research' includes a couple of tweets and a facebook meme.
they dont have 'research', they have the internet.
Dumber than a bag of hammers
A friend of ours is antivaxx, posts all sorts of rubbish on her facebook feed.  The FB feed is full of  Facebook fact checks and vaccine information notifications, posts that have been removed etc  Literally two thirds of posts are tagged in someway for accuracy...  yet, still keep using facebook and still madly antivaxx. 
Now surely if one had half a brain one would either get the message and change one's views on the matter, or in the face of such censorship by FB would have found somewhere else to post their crap... Just idiots

Should we do a poll on here?
"Are you vaccinated"

since we have Magoos info on that other site, it might be interesting know how we compare. Nothing divisive about it at all Smile
It would be anonymous like the name change poll.

that name change poll was a challenge
Thumbs Up 
(24-11-2021, 07:04 PM)Magoo Wrote: that name change poll was a challenge
but don't you feel so much better for contributing? well done!

(24-11-2021, 07:14 PM)king1 Wrote:
(24-11-2021, 07:04 PM)Magoo Wrote: that name change poll was a challenge
but don't you feel so much better for contributing? well done!
i was going to outsource it as usual i procrastinated and it got down to the wire
so it was more of a eeny meeny miney mo thing
i hope i win that would be awesome