Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where are the Trade Me buyers?
Getting more low-ball buy now requests.... and relist requests. Just buy the damn thing, I ain't going to give it away. I relist at the same price to hopefully annoy them.
(01-02-2022, 10:12 AM)HoracePinker Wrote: Getting more low-ball buy now requests.... and relist requests. Just buy the damn thing, I ain't going to give it away. I relist at the same price to hopefully annoy them.
From our recent experience buyers are sitting on their hands as they hunker down for the Omicron wave. Between wall to wall media coverage, depleted supermarket shelves and limiting social interaction most of the population have their minds on other things rather than browsing online purchases I would suggest.
I've probably been buying a bit more than usual. Some things to avoid having to go to the retail shop and some things because the supermarket shelves are bare and I'd rather have some on hand if needed, so have use TM. On the other hand I have an item for sale at a $1 buy now and there's no interest. It's not a high-interest kind of thing, but is expensive new and I thought someone would want it.
(01-02-2022, 12:32 PM)SueDonim Wrote: On the other hand I have an item for sale at a $1 buy now and there's no interest. It's not a high-interest kind of thing, but is expensive new and I thought someone would want it.

That's frustrating when you know it would most likely sell for a good price overseas, but the hassle of shipping, etc, puts you off, yet there's no interest in it locally.
I have several things on my watchlist I would like to buy. But I won't because the sellers think they are worth more than I am prepared to pay. And the interesting thing is, I very much doubt any of those sellers have checked expired listings to see what their saleable price actually is.

Want to sell something fast? Price it low and hope for multiple interested potential buyers. Especially under the present economic conditions.
In the lead up to Xmas had a good sales result with most items being listed $1.00 reserve.
 Almost without exception closing price exceeded what I had hoped for.
It is to be noted the  high number of watchers were invariably unproportionate to actual bidders
Apart from dealing with My Products and topping up the account occasionally, I haven't browsed TM for quite a long time now. At least it's good for the bank balance!
Have decided not to utilize the sell side mainly due to the fee costings now but will keep account open just to keep an eye on property as we are looking to purchase, Haven't purchase since covid arrived.
I currently have an item listed for $13, someone asks if I'll accept $10. I get it if it's something at say $130 and offering $110-20...but for 3 freakin dollars!
(09-02-2022, 07:01 PM)HoracePinker Wrote: I currently have an item listed for $13, someone asks if I'll accept $10. I get it if it's something at say $130 and offering $110-20...but for 3 freakin dollars!
 some people are pathetic aren't they, they either want it or they don't
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(09-02-2022, 07:01 PM)HoracePinker Wrote: I currently have an item listed for $13, someone asks if I'll accept $10. I get it if it's something at say $130 and offering $110-20...but for 3 freakin dollars!
If you are concerned about $3 why do you criticise someone else who is also concerned about that amount?   And perhaps your hostile attitude towards buyers is showing in your listings and putting people off.
Agree in the main with comments re absurd offers by buyers.
Though there are still genuine purchasers on TM, late last year listed a hardly used Alcan Step Ladder with a sting price $230. 

Got a quest "What is your BN?" Replied $240.00 

Trader said $250.00 & pickup same day. Deal completed by mid day.
On pickup asked him why the higher offer, he said was a fair price for a quality item. 
Chatting to him, found out he had just returned after 8 yrs in Aust. They had just purchased their 1st home & needed ladder for work on the home.
Nice young fellow who had a wise head on his young shoulders
I had one of those a long time back. A guy bought my barely used rotary tool set for his daughter who had always wanted one. I had picked it up in a hardware shop closure sale for $100 some years before and listed it and sold it to him for $75. He came to pick it up and paid me $90 because he said that was what it was worth.

Because of the people like him I have encountered on TM, I have a rule to be generous in my trades, and so far it is a policy that I have never regretted.
(09-02-2022, 08:02 PM)Olive Wrote:
If you are concerned about $3 why do you criticise someone else who is also concerned about that amount?   And perhaps your hostile attitude towards buyers is showing in your listings and putting people off.
They're welcome to buy for $75 from JB Hifi. 
That's my lowest price, they can take it or leave it. If they leave it then I'll give it away to a charity shop, rather than "give it away" to a stingy low-baller.
I don't make low ball offers. But I also don't buy things I can get in an op shop for half the price.

Want to sell? Price is important.
People love buying from me. As an example It might cost me $4000 for say a motorbike I might keep for say 5 yrs. kept in top notch condition, sprayed with crc every day etc. I will sell that bike for $2500 after 5 yrs because I've had my fun out of it and Ive had $1500 worth of fun out of it easy. I also price things to leave room for the buyer to make a bit if so inclined. I have sold everything I have gone to sell with no problems. I can't be fucked trying to squeeze every last dollar out of something and I am a giver more than a taker so trying to make 'top dollar' from something is not in my vocabulary.

As for where are the TM buyers?

We are there quietly buying things for our lives. At the moment I am buying fishing gear that I could probably get cheaper down the road but I am addicted to waiting for the courier. I love it! LOL
Surely real buyers down on Tradme when can just buy direct with English companies etc instead of English sellers on Trademe and the like. They turned their backs on their Niche, Kiwis. I had a good wee earner on there around 2006 but wouldn't bother importing now with the buying power of some on there.
Something to be said for being loyal in life.
I keep asking TM when they are going to let us personalise our searches. I want to keep NZ only and Used. Every page change I have to go put in the filters. That and the e x t r e m e l y slow loading annoy the hell out of me...

But it is a good place to satisfy my designer clothing ambitions, at knockdown prices.
(25-02-2022, 04:42 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I keep asking TM when they are going to let us personalise our searches. I want to keep NZ only and Used. Every page change I have to go put in the filters. That and the e x t r e m e l y slow loading annoy the hell out of me...

But it is a good place to satisfy my designer clothing ambitions, at knockdown prices.
They won't - they want you to see the full bullshit, in the hope you'll notice something to buy.
I do have other cameras!
(25-02-2022, 04:42 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I keep asking TM when they are going to let us personalise our searches. I want to keep NZ only and Used. Every page change I have to go put in the filters. That and the e x t r e m e l y slow loading annoy the hell out of me...

I resolved a few years ago not to buy new clothing again.   I have a few NZ design names that I know and like, I have them as favourites and get new listings sent by email every day.   It's a good way to keep in touch with what is for sale and has kept me in good quality very low priced clothing for years.   I don't think I could be bothered just idly searching in case something appealing appears.