Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost 1 in 5 NZ Delta cases are children
(24-11-2021, 07:08 PM)king1 Wrote: another interesting dilemma for business owners - whether to allow the unvaccinated children of vaccinated parents into the establishment...  Can you exclude them knowing that they could well be packing...

That's a fair point and, as a vaccinated parent, I actually wouldn't be upset or offended to be refused entry to a business because I have children who are too young to be vaccinated but can still catch and transmit COVID. It's a reasonable decision for a business to take given the expert advice and rules/policies we have. I'm not going to knock a business for wanting to be extra careful because, at the end of the day, such an attitude could help keep my kids safe too.

(24-11-2021, 07:08 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Okay. There are approximately 1.1 million children in this country. And the population is around 5.1 million...

So, that stat is entirely to be expected, surely?

Apparently overseas statistics have shown that children catch COVID less and suffer less from it, leading a significant amount of anti-vaxx and anti-lockdown types I've met on the internet to suggest that I "stop worrying" because "kids are low risk for COVID".

1 in 5 is far higher than what the overseas data would suggest the rate should be.

(25-11-2021, 08:02 AM)Me+Me Wrote:
(24-11-2021, 06:43 PM)reigns Wrote: https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/nation...s-under-9/

An increasing number of primary school-aged children and younger are contracting Covid, as the total number of active cases in this country's Delta outbreak approaches 5000. There are 4828 active cases of Covid in New Zealand - and 36 per cent of them are aged 19 or under. Close to one in five - 18.5 per cent - of cases are in children 9 years old or younger, up from 12.7 per cent at the start of September. On Monday alone 44 new cases were announced in under-9s. 

In the current outbreak, 27 children under nine have ended up in hospital. As the number of active cases grows, vaccination mandates are being brought in to cut the number of people who aren't protected against the virus. Staff in the education, Corrections and healthcare sectors are already subject to vaccine mandates and the Government is making it easier for businesses to mandate vaccines as well.

So much for "But children don't catch the virus!"
NO one ever said that children don't catch the virus.
At least the Govt isn't just being the uncaring, supposedly murderous, Govt that some people seem to think they are and they're holding off enabling vaccinations for young kids till the info is IN about how safe, or not, it is.

You're right, I have had plenty suggest to me that I stop worrying about my kids because they're "low risk", meaning they're less likely to catch it.

1 in 5 is not insignificant, however.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Almost 1 in 5 NZ Delta cases are children - by reigns - 25-11-2021, 03:45 PM
RE: Almost 1 in 5 NZ Delta cases are children - by egem - 27-11-2021, 08:16 PM