Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Grand...
Today's collectibles conundrum comes the way of this attractive wee demitasse cup and saucer branded "The Grand".

The saucer dates from 1946/8, stamped with Gibson & Paterson who supplied a lot of hotelware throughout the country. The cup is stamped Scoular, a Dunedin importer.

My question... who were they for? There's a multitude of "Grand Hotel" in NZ, but I guess I'm looking for "The Grand". Any clues?

https://imgur.com/a/THhwm1A
You need Ev - my money is on Crown Lynn/ G&P for a 'local' hotel...

Possibly The Grand in Dunedin? The flourish on the name looks quite overblown Victorian...
i might be inclined to flick some of the older ones an email to see if they recognize it...
you could probably limit the list by choosing only the oldest...
eg https://thegrandhotel.co.nz/
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Is it odd that they match in pattern and logo, but not in where they came from??
No. The various manufacturers shared patterns and designs and often made the same thing for the same buyer at various times. Crown Lynn made on behalf and by commission, and occasionally just outright copied without too much guilt...

It was a very incestuous world at times!
(26-11-2021, 05:40 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: No. The various manufacturers shared patterns and designs and often made the same thing for the same buyer at various times. Crown Lynn made on behalf and by commission, and occasionally just outright copied without too much guilt...

It was a very incestuous world at times!
Interesting. I never knew that.

It is happening more and more now, with where I buy alot of my craft items in China. What people pay big money for, in the branded items, I'm I'm buying and selling craft stuff without a brand, and some of it has been deliberately copied. Morally it's wrong, and alot of people won't buy from China because of that. I personally choose to not buy the copied stuff...or rather the items that I know are copied, by the packaging, so I feel ok with selling what I do.